Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

One could say that they are searching for the true religion, and that may or may not involve a god. I certainly settled on Buddhism myself as a way of experiencing the Something more that most religions interpret as some kind of invisible human. Taoism is a similar sort of thing.

I'm going to leave any debate about Islam BTW to others, here I reckon I have done my bit already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:07 AM

277 posts, read 191,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Yep, there are cases where one starts searching for God and ends up accepting Buddhism.
I hate too tell you, but you're actually wrong. Buddhism is only major religion that is non-theistic. Sure you have a handful of Buddhist that may embrace a certain number of Hindu deities. But, the theology is arguably not just non-theistic but plain Atheist. In order to become president of China, you have to be an open Atheist Communist Party Member. Only a religious Buddhist can potentially become president in the PRC "China" look it up, its true. About 20-25% of China is Buddhist.

People like the dalai Lama may advocate for a belief in a God. But, they are rare.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:44 AM

3,640 posts, read 42,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Don't even bother. You run into apologists like Khalif.
LOL!

Don't ask any Muslim about Islam; ask non-Muslims and they will tell you everything about Islam.

Quote:
Suuure, keep telling us that. I'm sure we'll all continue to believe that.
You are free not to believe it. My duty is to answer the Question about Islam; not to make you believe the answer.

Quote:
(as copied from the website thereligionofpeace)
As Wafa Sultan (who describes herself as a Muslim who does not adhere to Islam) puts it: "The problem with Christians is they aren't as good as Jesus. But thank God most Muslims are better than Muhammad."
Can I be a Christian without adhering to Christianity?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I hate too tell you, but you're actually wrong. Buddhism is only major religion that is non-theistic. Sure you have a handful of Buddhist that may embrace a certain number of Hindu deities. But, the theology is arguably not just non-theistic but plain Atheist. In order to become president of China, you have to be an open Atheist Communist Party Member. Only a religious Buddhist can potentially become president in the PRC "China" look it up, its true. About 20-25% of China is Buddhist.

People like the dalai Lama may advocate for a belief in a God. But, they are rare.
No need to hate.

Now, let's get to post # 6.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/49806740-post6.html

Are you a Buddhist? Or would you like to share your enlightment experience with us?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:49 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
One could say that they are searching for the true religion, and that may or may not involve a god. I certainly settled on Buddhism myself as a way of experiencing the Something more that most religions interpret as some kind of invisible human. Taoism is a similar sort of thing.

And of course there's that long-standing debate about whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
LOL!

Don't ask any Muslim about Islam; ask non-Muslims and they will tell you everything about Islam.

You are free not to believe it. My duty is to answer the Question about Islam; not to make you believe the answer.

Part of that is because members of any faith are often not objective.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
No need to hate.

Now, let's get to post # 6.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/49806740-post6.html

Are you a Buddhist? Or would you like to share your enlightment experience with us?
Excuse me. Very few followers of Buddhism are currently enlightened. Even monks I know personally do not claim to be enlightened.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Excuse me. Very few followers of Buddhism are currently enlightened. Even monks I know personally do not claim to be enlightened.
I did not know this. Thanks for the information.

Are you enlightened?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I did not know this. Thanks for the information.

Are you enlightened?
Nope. Not even close.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And of course there's that long-standing debate about whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy.
Depends on the definition. I think it is uner my Personal definition

Organized belief in a claimed but unverified supernatural entity (in this case, Karma) which affects human life in the afterlife and often the present one and which may be propitiated by ritual, affirmation of belief and donations to the Organization."

Under that definition, Buddhism a religion most definitely is. You may pick your own def.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
LOL!

Why not? Acording to Khalifism, one can be a Muslim without adhering to the Quran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam