U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:36 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,681,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So is Pork meat Kosher? It's not Halal, that part I know.
Pork is not kosher. Neither is shellfish.
Halal allows shellfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM

4,409 posts, read 1,637,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Halal allows shellfish.
I think the other and perhaps the bigger difference is wine and alcohol.

Wine could be part of kosher cuisine while alcohol is prohibited in Halal dietary laws.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I think the other and perhaps the bigger difference is wine and alcohol.

Wine could be part of kosher cuisine while alcohol is prohibited in Halal dietary laws.
there is no bigger or smaller.
a difference is a difference.

The point is to provide accurate information and not intentionally "blur the lines" by misrepresenting halal and kosher as being the same.
halal and kosher are not the same and are not interchangeable.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-27-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 04:15 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,851,715 times
I know kosher and halal aren't 100% similar, however, in the West, I know Muslims are permitted to buy Kosher foods as long as it's not an Islamic holiday. I also know about the shellfish, and not mixing meat and dairy in Kashrut rules (I'm lactose intolerant and would never have dairy). Also, I know Muslims can't have alcohol mixed in their foods. My mom had to change her cooking - if she is preparing a meal for all of us, she avoids the alcohol dishes. If she does make them, she tells me in advanced (same with pork dishes). I am a convert and live with an Atheist (mom) and Catholic (dad).

I have hypothyroidism, I've had a low thyroid since I was 22. Unfortunately, it's hereditary and my mom has it too. I finally got my thyroid back to stable. Before I started my full-time job, my thyroid was running normally with levothyroxine. The doctor has tweeked the medication in the past year and it's finally back.

My doctor is Catholic. I haven't been a practicing Catholic since I was 11 and I was surprised it was on file. However, I was never asked before I had my own insurance and I guess the doctors assumed I was the same religion as my dad. The doctor just said, "don't you know what you did?! You can't be treated the same as a Catholic or Christian in the hospital." I looked up how Muslims are treated in the hospital and as long as it's kept halal, it doesn't look any different to me.

I call prejudice. My dad accepts my faith. He doesn't see my choice as radically different; we all worship the same God, we just pray differently. My younger Catholic relatives feel the same way, as do the Atheist relatives (more of my mom's family are Atheists). However, my great aunt looks at what I did as a sin that is unforgivable. Fortunately, most of my older relatives weren't like that, they thought the same as my dad. I wonder if my doctor is in the same camp as my great aunt. I wonder if I should change doctors.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
there is no bigger or smaller.
a difference is a difference.
Sorry, but IMO, ^^ that's a knee jerk reaction in denial.

In the general notion of English figure of speech, "differences" can be, and usually are, classified as big and small.

So far as blurring goes, I don't think anyone in this thread is hell bent in trying to prove that kosher and halal are similar or same.

It's perhaps a little subjective, too. Kosher meat could be considered same as halal meat by some Muslims but not in the eyes of Jews.

I have personally eaten kosher poultry and beef considering it same as halal. And you may not agree but that doesn't change my perception. I think it's the same.

What I did find interesting in a conversation with a Jewish work colleague who would "keep it kosher at home" but would eat pork outside, was, that when a Jewish person does not find kosher meat, and he has to eat a non-Kosher meat then it doesn't matter whether he eats beef or pork.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,864,048 times
Quote:
So is Pork meat Kosher? It's not Halal, that part I know.

Almost everything Kosher is also Halal. The only exception I know of is the allowance of wine.

But not the reverse. Kosher is more restrictive than Halal. So if you're concerned that you're allowing too much, and making yourself sick, go Kosher.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:41 PM

3,166 posts, read 1,035,813 times
Quote:
Halal allows shellfish.
Where does it say in the Torah that shellfish is not kosher?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Almost everything Kosher is also Halal. The only exception I know of is the allowance of wine.

But not the reverse. Kosher is more restrictive than Halal. So if you're concerned that you're allowing too much, and making yourself sick, go Kosher.
...... and start drinking to get well?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:53 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,864,048 times
Apparently, yes.

8 Health Benefits of Drinking Wine | Food & Wine

Moderate drinking is fine, and in fact actually healthy. The big issue is understanding moderation.

Wine contains fermented grapes. Care to explain to me why Muslims can eat cheese and bread, yet somehow fermented fruit is off limits? For that matter, they are okay with eating bug-infested fruit (and veggies) and dried fruit (compare to Nazirite restriction that actually forbade even fresh grapes because it might possibly have become fermented) but somehow fermentation is different?

I don't drink wine because I personally do not like being drunk, but I make no arbitrary rules against it.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Where does it say in the Torah that shellfish is not kosher?
Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh De'ah 83
Vayikra 11:9-12

"Of the things that are in the waters, you may eat anything that has fins and scales. Thus, shellfish such as lobsters, oysters, shrimp, clams and crabs are all forbidden. Fish like tuna, carp, salmon and herring are all permitted."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-28-2017 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or