U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:54 PM

4,417 posts, read 1,644,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I know kosher and halal aren't 100% similar, however, in the West, I know Muslims are permitted to buy Kosher foods as long as it's not an Islamic holiday. I also know about the shellfish, and not mixing meat and dairy in Kashrut rules (I'm lactose intolerant and would never have dairy). Also, I know Muslims can't have alcohol mixed in their foods. My mom had to change her cooking - if she is preparing a meal for all of us, she avoids the alcohol dishes. If she does make them, she tells me in advanced (same with pork dishes). I am a convert and live with an Atheist (mom) and Catholic (dad).

I have hypothyroidism, I've had a low thyroid since I was 22. Unfortunately, it's hereditary and my mom has it too. I finally got my thyroid back to stable. Before I started my full-time job, my thyroid was running normally with levothyroxine. The doctor has tweeked the medication in the past year and it's finally back.

My doctor is Catholic. I haven't been a practicing Catholic since I was 11 and I was surprised it was on file. However, I was never asked before I had my own insurance and I guess the doctors assumed I was the same religion as my dad. The doctor just said, "don't you know what you did?! You can't be treated the same as a Catholic or Christian in the hospital." I looked up how Muslims are treated in the hospital and as long as it's kept halal, it doesn't look any different to me.

I call prejudice. My dad accepts my faith. He doesn't see my choice as radically different; we all worship the same God, we just pray differently. My younger Catholic relatives feel the same way, as do the Atheist relatives (more of my mom's family are Atheists). However, my great aunt looks at what I did as a sin that is unforgivable. Fortunately, most of my older relatives weren't like that, they thought the same as my dad. I wonder if my doctor is in the same camp as my great aunt. I wonder if I should change doctors.
IMO, you should definitely get a second opinion on your medical treatment.

I don't think I've ever heard that a Muslim is treated differently than a Christian at a hospital.

Honestly speaking, I think your current physician needs to see a psychiatrist to get his/her own evaluation done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 12:09 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,865,774 times
He's not saying there is bigotry.

Muslims object to certain facets of modern science (seeing it as heresy). They also hold Sharia as central, meaning they are much like the Amish in regards to being apart from the country's laws.

muslim medicine and health care

Quote:
There are some Muslims, particularly those in rural areas with limited access to modern medical facilities, who completely reject modern medicine.

Rather than dismissing your physician as crazy, maybe you should do more research about your own religion.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:32 AM

4,417 posts, read 1,644,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Muslims object to certain facets of modern science (seeing it as heresy). They also hold Sharia as central, meaning they are much like the Amish in regards to being apart from the country's laws.

Rather than dismissing your physician as crazy, maybe you should do more research about your own religion.
If this was the case where the religion of Islam prohibited the use of scientific knowledge that benefits humanity, then there wouldn't be any Muslim doctors anywhere in the world.

ummmmm ..... let's see,,,, perhaps you can use a little common sense before asking us to research our religion -- but thanks anyway.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,038,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh De'ah 83
Vayikra 11:9-12

"Of the things that are in the waters, you may eat anything that has fins and scales. Thus, shellfish such as lobsters, oysters, shrimp, clams and crabs are all forbidden. Fish like tuna, carp, salmon and herring are all permitted."
Thanks for the information.

In my younger days, I used to catch fish from a river close to our village. Scales were of different sizes.

Looking back at my life, I have never eaten lobsters, oysters, shrimp, frogs or crabs. I like salmon the best.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:29 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,854,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
IMO, you should definitely get a second opinion on your medical treatment.

I don't think I've ever heard that a Muslim is treated differently than a Christian at a hospital.

Honestly speaking, I think your current physician needs to see a psychiatrist to get his/her own evaluation done.
I think you're right. My mom wants me to get a second opinion too. My cousin became a PA and my mom wants me to show my cousin the blood results to see what she can get. The blood results do tell me what's wrong though.

I caught a cold this weekend. Yesterday evening, I took the wrong Sudafed. I took the day instead of the night. Only slept two hours and now it's still hard to breathe. Sick to my stomach. Called out from both jobs. Do you think I should call my doctor and make an appointment? I'm really scared. I literally had a panic attack earlier. Maybe I'll go to an urgent care.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
That's what he is suggesting.

Quote:
Muslims object to certain facets of modern science (seeing it as heresy).
Such as?

Quote:
They also hold Sharia as central, meaning they are much like the Amish in regards to being apart from the country's laws.
Sharia applies only to them. They can't force it on non-muslims. Not breaking country's laws is required from Muslims. I have no problem in complying with the laws of the country I live in.

Quote:
Quote:
There are some Muslims, particularly those in rural areas with limited access to modern medical facilities, who completely reject modern medicine.
There are some non-Muslims who have limited access to Islamic knowledge, who completely reject Islam. I am not surprised.

Quote:
What does that physician know about Islam? And have you done enough search about Islam to make that comment here?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I think you're right. My mom wants me to get a second opinion too. My cousin became a PA and my mom wants me to show my cousin the blood results to see what she can get. The blood results do tell me what's wrong though.

I caught a cold this weekend. Yesterday evening, I took the wrong Sudafed. I took the day instead of the night. Only slept two hours and now it's still hard to breathe. Sick to my stomach. Called out from both jobs. Do you think I should call my doctor and make an appointment? I'm really scared. I literally had a panic attack earlier. Maybe I'll go to an urgent care.
It looks like you need to change the doctor. Regular blood tests are needed for thyroid problem to determine how much medicine you need. Medicine is needed regularly whether minimum or higher doses. Cold could be sign of you needing some levothyroxine. My daughter used to feel so cold until she began to take this medicine.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:34 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,854,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
It looks like you need to change the doctor. Regular blood tests are needed for thyroid problem to determine how much medicine you need. Medicine is needed regularly whether minimum or higher doses. Cold could be sign of you needing some levothyroxine. My daughter used to feel so cold until she began to take this medicine.
I'm actually not cold. I caught a cold - I caught a 24 hour bug. I took today off from both jobs and took a night-time decongestant. Slept for 4 hours and I can breathe again. Going to rest.

I'm always hot. I get a blood test every six months. But, I think I want to change doctors. Sometimes I feel like now that my religion is out, something has changed. Before I mentioned anything, he was very helpful and not dismissive.

I told him I think my full-time job is causing the other maladies. Even with thyroid disease, I never had these other issues before until I started working at my full-time job. He dismissed it. I have panic attacks from that job. Until I can move to Canada, I'm looking for another one. One that is more active too.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:21 PM

56,069 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
...... and start drinking to get well?
Probably not recommended for someone with a liver problem.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:24 PM

56,069 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:

You don't think a convert (or revert, as the term is in Islam) has already done the research into the religion she chose to follow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or