U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:43 AM

3,211 posts, read 1,071,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Moslems tend to have high incidence of diabetes due to the unhealthy practice of fasting and gorging during Ramadan.
Nonsense!

I am part of a large family. Not even one adult (or older children who fast) is diabetic. I have taken Prednisolone tablets for the past 12 years. My doctor had warned me that I will be at risk of developing diabetes and regular blood tests will have to be done. Despite this and fasting every year, I have no diabetes problem so far.

The people at most risk of diabetes are those who do not do any exercise and have diet with a lot of sugar in it. Exercise is a must to avoid being diabetic. I have played sports right up until I was 50 years of age. On top of that, I have done regular gardening. Nobody in the family has eaten more biscuits and cakes than I have. So regular fasting hasn't been any problem to me or my family. In fact it has held me back from eating too much. I lose some weight every year. This makes me healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 10:21 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,264,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Nonsense!

I am part of a large family. Not even one adult (or older children who fast) is diabetic. I have taken Prednisolone tablets for the past 12 years. My doctor had warned me that I will be at risk of developing diabetes and regular blood tests will have to be done. Despite this and fasting every year, I have no diabetes problem so far.

The people at most risk of diabetes are those who do not do any exercise and have diet with a lot of sugar in it. Exercise is a must to avoid being diabetic. I have played sports right up until I was 50 years of age. On top of that, I have done regular gardening. Nobody in the family has eaten more biscuits and cakes than I have. So regular fasting hasn't been any problem to me or my family. In fact it has held me back from eating too much. I lose some weight every year. This makes me healthier.

Fasting doesn't cause diabetes - but the hypoglycemia that occurs in fasting subjects is a major problem for many diabetics. This is well-known in the medical literature. Hypoglycemia hospitalizations rise during Ramadan in Islamic countries. Diabetics should consult their doctors and request exemption by religious authorities if necessary.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Fasting doesn't cause diabetes - but the hypoglycemia that occurs in fasting subjects is a major problem for many diabetics.
That is not quite correct. Fasting reduces blood sugar which is otherwise reduced by injecting insulin in diabetics. Fasting managed correctly is good for diabetics.

Hypoglycemia is a condition in which sugar (glucose) in blood falls too low. Diabetes have the opposite condition.

Quote:
This is well-known in the medical literature. Hypoglycemia hospitalizations rise during Ramadan in Islamic countries.
They would be mosly those are not diabetic.

Quote:
Diabetics should consult their doctors and request exemption by religious authorities if necessary.
If one is not able to fast without getting ill, s/he is exempt anyway. Nothing in Islam is a requirement that is beyond one's ability.

Diabetics will benefit from fasting but they must manage eating when not fasting. Too much eating can push their blood sugar up.

Those with Hypoglycemia must not fast longer than certain hours. How many hours can be determined only by a doctor through blood tests.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM

9,809 posts, read 7,850,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Nonsense!

It is hardly nonsense, but instead, commonplace. Your single family experience, assuming they are even accurate, mean nothing.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
It is hardly nonsense, but instead, commonplace.
It's not commonplace where I live.

Quote:
Your single family experience, assuming they are even accurate, mean nothing.
Your claim means nothing as the main factor causing diabetes is not fasting but poor lifestyle, including too much eating and no exercise. Fasting is not a factor that causes diabetes.

Fasting can in fact help diabetic people. No food mean no increase in glucose in the blood. Therefore, fasting can help a diabetic person.

It is a person with Hypoglycemia condition that has to watch that s/he does not go without food for too long as his/her blood will be short of or without glucose.

So too much eating could be a problem for a diabetic person but not fasting.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 373 times
Default Completely Healthy Halal Supplements

Things have changed a lot. There are Halal supplement available which are free from sugar, gelatine, alcohol, gluten, dairy, allergens, artificial colours, flavours and preservatives. Many of these multivitamin suplements are available in form of chewy formulations, that is even easy to consume for children also.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 25 days ago)

12,762 posts, read 6,581,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For one thing, Muslims eat shellfish, which is prohibited in kosher rules.

(I don't know everything, but in the past year I went from working for Hasidic Jews to working for Muslims, so I found that out.)

I don't get the OP's problem, though.

A Halal diet doesn't mean you HAVE to eat meat. It just means that if you do, you eat halal meat.

I go to a lot of business lunches and dinners. My employers get fish or vegetarian. How can that be unhealthy? How would her diet be any different if she didn't halal meat?

I agree the doctor sounds like a nitwit. He "freaked" out when you said you converted to Islam? He said your religion is problematic?

You need a different doctor.
My father and some other Muslims I know won't eat shellfish as they claim they aren't Halal as they eat dead animals. There are different schools of though on this, but know that some do take the approach that shellfish are not Halal: The Fiqh of Halal and Haram Animals | daruliftaa.com

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

57,121 posts, read 55,378,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My father and some other Muslims I know won't eat shellfish as they claim they aren't Halal as they eat dead animals. There are different schools of though on this, but know that some do take the approach that shellfish are not Halal: The Fiqh of Halal and Haram Animals | daruliftaa.com
Thanks, I didn't know that. One of the Muslims I work for is the one who told me they can eat shellfish. They are Pakistani, if that makes a difference.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

10,731 posts, read 15,923,548 times
Quote:
Fasting doesn't cause diabetes - but the hypoglycemia that occurs in fasting subjects is a major problem for many diabetics. This is well-known in the medical literature. Hypoglycemia hospitalizations rise during Ramadan in Islamic countries. Diabetics should consult their doctors and request exemption by religious authorities if necessary.

This is amazing post. Khalif was grascious to dedicate so much time to it.

Hypoglycemia hospitalizations rise during Ramadan in Islamic countries.

Hypoglycemia can be in ANYONE. You do not have to have diabetes to go hypo. So - even if it's true, as we saw no supporting data - it only means that folks eat less and, for some, they go too low and get hypo.
That's it.

Poster mixed together apples and oranges - diabetics that go hypo and non diabetics that go hypo.
This is typical logical fallacy and rhetorical maneuver resulting from it.

People go hypo during fasting hence diabetics should ....
See, what I mean?
Instead of - If, during fasting, you have a record of going hypo, consult with your spiritual leaders for release or, review of much fasting you should do.

Old Today, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is amazing post. Khalif was grascious to dedicate so much time to it.

Hypoglycemia hospitalizations rise during Ramadan in Islamic countries.

Hypoglycemia can be in ANYONE. You do not have to have diabetes to go hypo. So - even if it's true, as we saw no supporting data - it only means that folks eat less and, for some, they go too low and get hypo.
That's it.

Poster mixed together apples and oranges - diabetics that go hypo and non diabetics that go hypo.
This is typical logical fallacy and rhetorical maneuver resulting from it.

People go hypo during fasting hence diabetics should ....
See, what I mean?
Instead of - If, during fasting, you have a record of going hypo, consult with your spiritual leaders for release or, review of much fasting you should do.
ukrokz,

You are spot on. This can happen to both diabetics and non-diabetics. In fact, it is more likely to happen to non-diabetics quicker than the diabetics as it will take a little longer in diabetics for their sugar level to go too low than in the non-diabetics.

Fasting is only for those who can fast without damaging their life. Health of a person comes first. If health doesn't allow someone to fast then the person should NOT fast. Instead, the person can feed a poor for that day, if s/he can. This would be compensation/alleviation from fasting. Quite simple really.

My 60 year old otherwise fit and healthy brother once phoned me to ask why he felt very weak (for the first time like that) whilst walking home from doing some shopping (he wasn't fasting on that day). When I asked him how long since he had eaten something and taken some fluid in, I realized that his sugar and fluid level must have gone down (hypoglycemia). I told him to eat something sweet (sugary) and drink some fluid a,s,a,p. He was fine after that. He still fasts regularly every year.

Diabetics need to be more careful with their diet. They shouldn't eat plenty in one go (that would push their sugar level up) but small meals and more often so that their sugar level is not suddenly pushed up. Definitely cut down on highly sugary items but not completely refrain from less sugary items. Some items have smaller amount of sugar and some a lot.

My wife isn't diabetic but one blood test showed that her sugar level was close to being so high that she could develop diabetes in future unless she did something about it. She cut down on highly sugary items and began to do some regular exercise. Her sugar level became normal. This year she fasted for 27 days but missed 3 days as she had headache in the afternoon of each day. I told her that she is dehydrating fast and must break her fast (she wasn't drinking enough fluid during those days). She did and headache went after she had taken some fluid (water).

In other words, Islam is not so rigid a religion that one needs to do things that are not good for one's health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or