U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:28 AM

10,731 posts, read 15,923,548 times

Advertisements

I see patients from all walks of spiritual paths.
Inevitably, we do discuss health concerns and, sometimes, in relationship to certain religious rites.
I am yet to see a religion, where spiritual leaders will NOT accommodate a particular patient physical limitations.

For example, I KNOW that Muslims, with certain conditions, are allowed to pray sitting on a chair, if they can not kneel down.
Now, there is and always will be a certain type, that is afraid to approach a spiritual leader and ask. Then, they suffer through rituals. But that is there choice and, often, this is being noticed and leaders approach such person with proper suggestion and recommendation.
From a political perspective, OP insinuates that Islam promotes unhealthy religious practices. If you read between the lines. Nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 1,071,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I see patients from all walks of spiritual paths.
Inevitably, we do discuss health concerns and, sometimes, in relationship to certain religious rites.
I am yet to see a religion, where spiritual leaders will NOT accommodate a particular patient physical limitations.
Some so called spiritual leaders may not be aware of their own religion's allowances or extent of someone's health condition. This is why I don't ask them. My knowledge about what is allowed under certain conditions and circumstances comes from the knowledge of the Qur'an, common sense and reason. We can use all three.

[Qur'an 23.62] And We do not lay on any soul a burden except to the extent of its ability, and with Us is a book which speaks the truth, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly.

Nobody with disability will be treated unjustly if he can't pray in a difficult position. God is aware of our health.

Quote:
example, I KNOW that Muslims, with certain conditions, are allowed to pray sitting on a chair, if they can not kneel down.
Not only sitting down but also lying down or even on a horse or camel's back. Anyone with osteoarthritis in knee should not try to pray sitting down. It will make the knees very painful.

Many people pray using chairs where I go, and in every mosque that I know.

Quote:
From a political perspective, OP insinuates that Islam promotes unhealthy religious practices. If you read between the lines. Nothing new.
Yes. That's why people like myself, with a bit of knowledge about Islam, are here to stop misconceptions and misinformation being spread about Islam in this forum.

Old Today, 12:38 PM

10,731 posts, read 15,923,548 times
God is aware of our health.

God is aware of our inner. Outer is of no importance. Praise to god can be done in any position, in any place, in any manner available, as far as it is from the heart.
It is for those who seek the outer and are stuck in dogma, that it has to be done exactly on Monday at 5:17am, with left foot up in the air, index finger of the right hand pointing at exactly 25 degrees up and to the west and wearing orange pants and white vast.
Of course, I am being sarcastic, but sometimes stupidity does just that. Or, ill understood zealousy.

Thank you, Khalif. You have great posts - and patience.

Old Today, 02:34 PM

3,211 posts, read 1,071,756 times
Quote:
God is aware of our health.

God is aware of our inner. Outer is of no importance. Praise to god can be done in any position, in any place, in any manner available, as far as it is from the heart.
Yes, I am sure any health professional is aware of the central role played by the heart. It's not just our blood that goes and comes from the heart but with it quite a few other aspects such as love, peace, praise and even life. When heart stops, that's it, we stop too.

If any prayer doesn't come from our heart then it hasn't come from our inner self.

Prayer, initially, is just a training ground for us. God is not in need of our prayers but we train ourselves and discipline ourselves, condition ourselves to do good to other living beings and refrain from doing evil acts through remembrance (awareness) of our creator (it's called "taqwa" in Arabic). Otherwise prayer will mean very little. This remembrance of creator can be done at any time, and is often done by the God-conscious people (the "mutaqqis" = those who have "taqwa") before doing anything. It does not need any outward rituals. Their heart helps them do so.

Quote:
It is for those who seek the outer and are stuck in dogma, that it has to be done exactly on Monday at 5:17am, with left foot up in the air, index finger of the right hand pointing at exactly 25 degrees up and to the west and wearing orange pants and white vast.
LOL!
Some do all that literally. And then they complain that God doesn't answer their prayers.

Quote:
Thank you, Khalif. You have great posts - and patience.
Thanks a lot!
Patience is the key for many humans. I admire the patience of three people, primary school teachers, health professionals and mothers of very young children. I have learnt in my life that patience is often rewarded positively sooner or later.

And of course talking to people like yourself helps me to learn more. The more I learn the more I am at peace. Thanks for your contribution here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or