U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 06:59 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,852,261 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

I've been experiencing some health setbacks. While I don't think it's the halal diet I follow, but sitting for seven hours in a full-time job I despise, that is causing the cholesterol and liver issues. High cholesterol runs in my family and last year my doctor put me on a medication to control it. Unfortunately, it elevated my liver numbers. He decreased the dosage and took me off the medication, nothing changed. Before I started my job and really following the diet, I never had cholesterol and liver issues. On Friday I had to go for an ultrasound and I am scared. I have a feeling I will need to contact a dietician and I will tell the dietician about the diet I have to follow. I just hope this dietician doesn't say, "that diet is so unhealthy!"

Honestly, I don't think it is. All I know is I am really scared and I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with my liver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 11:04 AM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Good morning everyone,

I've been experiencing some health setbacks.
Try to find out what caused the setbacks. Halal diet is not designed for poor health but for better health.

Quote:
While I don't think it's the halal diet I follow, but sitting for seven hours in a full-time job I despise, that is causing the cholesterol and liver issues.
Then the cause for health setbacks is either "sitting down for seven hours" or "no exercise".

Quote:
High cholesterol runs in my family and last year my doctor put me on a medication to control it. Unfortunately, it elevated my liver numbers.
I doubt if medication to control cholesterol is the cause for liver problem. Find another cause for the liver problem.

Quote:
He decreased the dosage and took me off the medication, nothing changed.
That means the medication for cholesterol wasn't the problem.

Quote:
Before I started my job and really following the diet, I never had cholesterol and liver issues.
Then that diet was not the problem.

Quote:
On Friday I had to go for an ultrasound and I am scared. I have a feeling I will need to contact a dietician and I will tell the dietician about the diet I have to follow. I just hope this dietician doesn't say, "that diet is so unhealthy!" Honestly, I don't think it is.
Halal diet is not unhealthy. I have a feeling that your dietician will tell you to eat more fruit and vegetables, and certainly do exercise.

Quote:
All I know is I am really scared and I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with my liver.
There must be some tests that can be done to check the state of your liver. ultrasound may not be showing much. Only your doctor can help you to find the real cause. Drinking alcohol or being overweight are two of the main problems for liver problems.

Disclaimer: This is not a medical advice. For that you need to seek your own doctor's advice. All I can say here is that the halal diet is not unhealthy.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:05 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,852,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Try to find out what caused the setbacks. Halal diet is not designed for poor health but for better health.

Then the cause for health setbacks is either "sitting down for seven hours" or "no exercise".

I doubt if medication to control cholesterol is the cause for liver problem. Find another cause for the liver problem.

That means the medication for cholesterol wasn't the problem.

Then that diet was not the problem.

Halal diet is not unhealthy. I have a feeling that your dietician will tell you to eat more fruit and vegetables, and certainly do exercise.

There must be some tests that can be done to check the state of your liver. ultrasound may not be showing much. Only your doctor can help you to find the real cause. Drinking alcohol or being overweight are two of the main problems for liver problems.

Disclaimer: This is not a medical advice. For that you need to seek your own doctor's advice. All I can say here is that the halal diet is not unhealthy.
I have thyroid disease (heredity) and weight has been a constant struggle for me. Before I started my full-time job two years ago, I lost 50 lbs. Unfortunately, I gained that all back and then some. I am overweight (I haven't drank in two and a half years, but was never a heavy drinker since alcoholism also runs in the family). Stress doesn't help. The job stresses me out, it doesn't pay well and I have a lot of debt. I was refused from Canada - I am in the process of looking for a new job that pays better and can transfer me. Also, a job with better medical insurance.

I do exercise - I skate and walk for an hour every day at lunch. I also move around for three hours, four days per week for my second part-time job. However, I might have to call a dietician and see what they can suggest. Will a dietician tell me that following a Kosher/Halal diet is bad? When I told my doctor I converted to Islam - he wanted to know my religion for my medical records, he freaked out. He told me that being a Muslim is problematic. I was stunned. This was before my liver numbers and cholesterol were elevated.

I didn't get the ultrasound results yet. I suppose this week. He is holding off putting me on a new cholesterol medication until we figure out what is wrong with my liver.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:00 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,864,431 times
You're probably not following halal. You're following an approximation of it, but missing some key steps.

You need to work harder, do more, follow closer.

Right? Then you need to get back to me on how it works.

https://www.prevention.com/weight-lo...-perfectionist

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 11-26-2017 at 10:12 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 02:20 AM

3,166 posts, read 1,036,278 times
Quote:
Will a dietician tell me that following a Kosher/Halal diet is bad?
I don't think so. As fruit and veg is part of halal diet, it can't be unhealthy diet. I wouldn't worry about halal diet if I were you.

Stress, thyroid and not enough exercise could be problem. Is thyroid underactive or overactive? Sounds like an overactive thyroid. Are you taking any medication for thyroid? Blood test will reveal if you need any medication.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 AM

13,092 posts, read 13,683,396 times
Quote:
... . Will a dietician tell me that following a Kosher/Halal diet is bad? ....
Kosher and halal are not the same.

Quote:
... . When I told my doctor I converted to Islam - he wanted to know my religion for my medical records, he freaked out. He told me that being a Muslim is problematic. I was stunned. ....
Perhaps ask your doctor "in what way is it problematic"

Old 11-27-2017, 10:18 AM

4,410 posts, read 1,639,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Kosher and halal are not the same.
How are they different?

Quote:
Perhaps ask your doctor "in what way is it problematic"
Or change the doctor.

I personally wouldn't go to a doctor who gets freaked out when they hear that I eat halal or kosher food. I am sure there are quite a few doctors out there who only eat halal or kosher.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:51 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,683,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How are they different?

Or change the doctor.

I personally wouldn't go to a doctor who gets freaked out when they hear that I eat halal or kosher food. I am sure there are quite a few doctors out there who only eat halal or kosher.
Halal and kosher are not the same. It is misleading and inaccurate to use the phrases together or interchangeably as if they are the same. When a person deliberately uses the two together to deliberately blur the lines it becomes an intentional deception.

People read these threads and learn from them.
It is important that information be accurate.

Halal and kosher differ in the foods that are allowed, the foods that are prohibited, the training of the people who slaughter, the parts of the animal used, inspection, who is permitted to slaughter, salting, ritual, and prohibited food combinations.

There are articles on the internet on this topic that are also not correct.

This thread is addressing health concerns raised by a person possibly related to diet and foods consumed. Accuracy and detail are always important but even more so when someones health is concerned. The more information the opening post person has from all sources including doctor and dietician and lab results and otber diagnostic testing, the better informed she will be and the more peace of mind she will have moving forward in her health care decisions.

Best wishes to Jess and may she be blessed with good health and good clarity and good healthcare providers.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-27-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 02:05 PM

4,410 posts, read 1,639,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Halal and kosher are not the same. It is misleading and inaccurate to use the phrases as if they are the same. When a person deliberately uses the two together to deliberately blur the lines it becomes an intentional deception.

People read these threads and learn from them.
It is important that information be accurate.

Halal and kosher differ in the foods that are allowed, the foods that are prohibited, and the training of the people who slaughter.
So is Pork meat Kosher? It's not Halal, that part I know.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:27 PM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How are they different?

Or change the doctor.

For one thing, Muslims eat shellfish, which is prohibited in kosher rules.

(I don't know everything, but in the past year I went from working for Hasidic Jews to working for Muslims, so I found that out.)

I don't get the OP's problem, though.

A Halal diet doesn't mean you HAVE to eat meat. It just means that if you do, you eat halal meat.

I go to a lot of business lunches and dinners. My employers get fish or vegetarian. How can that be unhealthy? How would her diet be any different if she didn't halal meat?

I agree the doctor sounds like a nitwit. He "freaked" out when you said you converted to Islam? He said your religion is problematic?

You need a different doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or