U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 05:12 PM

226 posts, read 123,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Good question!

Shouldn't incest between two consenting adults be legal and "progressive" in a society in which consenting adult marrying another consenting adult is legal and "progressive"?
Some liberals do already say they support it, so who knows.

However, at the moment, the biggest source of incest in the West would probably be from Muslims marrying their first cousins. Muslims may not see that as "incest" but in modern times it's not really seen as quite right. (Was common historically but widely rejected today.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 05:42 PM

I do worry how far progressives will take it however. I mean, if today it's gay marriage, will later they be saying that even polygamy is acceptable!?

You don't know how crazy they will get with this stuff.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:35 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,040,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
Some liberals do already say they support it, so who knows.
Exactly the point!

Who knows where it is all going to "end".

Quote:
However, at the moment, the biggest source of incest in the West would probably be from Muslims marrying their first cousins.
Such a relationship is close but not incest. Incest is always between those who have either common father or common mother (or both). Even in the West it is not incest.

Quote:
Muslims may not see that as "incest" but in modern times it's not really seen as quite right. (Was common historically but widely rejected today.)
As long as it is legal (in the West or "in the modern times"), it is not incest.

Personally, I prefer that the first cousins do not marry. But marriage of cousins is not incest but it would be better that there isn't a chain of first cousin marriages in the same family. It may have impact on children of such marriages eventually in terms of their genes and health in some cases.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I do worry how far progressives will take it however. I mean, if today it's gay marriage, will later they be saying that even polygamy is acceptable!?

You don't know how crazy they will get with this stuff.
Gay marriages is only the beginning. Yes, we could be heading backwards into dark ages instead of progress. Who knows!

Old 12-17-2017, 04:32 PM

I believe that cousin marriage has been illegal in the past, as well as (at times in the past) it being a common and accepted thing. Today it's illegal in quite a few American states. Outside of immigrant communities it's widely seen now as being too close of a family connection for marriage etc. It's stigmatized if not actually illegal.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I believe that cousin marriage has been illegal in the past, as well as (at times in the past) it being a common and accepted thing. Today it's illegal in quite a few American states. Outside of immigrant communities it's widely seen now as being too close of a family connection for marriage etc. It's stigmatized if not actually illegal.
Health risk to babies born to mother of over 40 years is greater than the babies born in a cousin marriage. Should they ban women of over 40 years having babies?

There's nothing wrong with cousins getting married, scientists say | The Independent

In the past, even Abraham had married daughter of his father (Sarah) and created a famous genealogy.

Cousin marriages have never been banned in the UK.

The Surprising Truth About Cousins and Marriage

As I stated earlier on, my personal view is that there shouldn't be successive first cousin marriages. It "could" impact adversely on the health of some of the children.

In the Qur'an, the prophet was allowed to marry his cousin but nothing is mentioned about Muslims at large marrying their cousins.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:58 PM

4,431 posts, read 1,649,750 times
Quote:
Cousin marriage is not very uncommon among AMERICAN Jews.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Health risk to babies born to mother of over 40 years is greater than the babies born in a cousin marriage. Should they ban women of over 40 years having babies?

There's nothing wrong with cousins getting married, scientists say | The Independent

In the past, even Abraham had married daughter of his father (Sarah) and created a famous genealogy.

Cousin marriages have never been banned in the UK.

The Surprising Truth About Cousins and Marriage

As I stated earlier on, my personal view is that there shouldn't be successive first cousin marriages. It "could" impact adversely on the health of some of the children.

In the Qur'an, the prophet was allowed to marry his cousin but nothing is mentioned about Muslims at large marrying their cousins.
What if the health risks, especially now with genetic screening, could be kept lower for brother and sister marriage? (Compared to a mature woman giving birth.) Would that change the fact that we see it as such a close family relationship as to be incest?

Or imagine not just genetic screening, but the genetic manipulation that might be available 100 years from now...

Old 12-24-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Cousin marriage is not very uncommon among AMERICAN Jews.
Perhaps, but they are living in a place where it's often illegal to do it depending on state law, and they would be an exception to the general culture.

Jewish law apparently also allows an uncle and niece to marry. I mean I doubt they will be doing that much because of the laws of modern countries, but still.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
What if the health risks, especially now with genetic screening, could be kept lower for brother and sister marriage? (Compared to a mature woman giving birth.) Would that change the fact that we see it as such a close family relationship as to be incest?
We are a long way away from having full control of everyone's genetic make up. We mat never reach a stage where we can produce perfect designer babies at will.

Quote:
Or imagine not just genetic screening, but the genetic manipulation that might be available 100 years from now...
Genetic manipulation is a limited field used for medical purposes only. We may never reach a stage where the whole genetic make up could be manipulated to create a flawless human being with every gene a perfect gene and risk-free healthy human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam