Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 10:08 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,029 times

Advertisements

I admit I don’t know much about the topic, but I am trying to increase my knowledges on the topic.

1) It is to my understanding that circumcision is practiced in Islam for mainly hygienic or purity purposes.
2) It is not as ritualized as circumcision in Judaism.
3) Most Muslim males are circumcised as infants, but in certain regions it is a rite of passage or is otherwise practiced when a male has reached puberty.
4) Circumcision is near universal in Muslim majority countries, but what is its status in countries in Europe or other regions where Muslims are a minority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:04 AM

3,640 posts, read 41,086 times
All male babies born in Muslim families are circumcised. The practice is similar to the practice in Judaism except that it is not as strict as in Judaism regarding the age of the baby (on the 8th day). It could be on any day from the 8th day allowing for various circumstances such as baby's health or other reasons. The practice is common even in Europe.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:11 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Circumcision is covenant, via parents decision, between a human (child) and a god, that that given child will stay pure in his life, as he grows up.
As a sexual organ is chosen for the purpose, tells you how much religions fear anything related to sex.

Khalif, I always learn a lot from your posts. What is going on with female circumcision.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
In some cases, adult males do go through circumcision but that's primarily when an adult man accepts Islam, and he is not previously circumcised.

I heard of a case where a man was 70 odd years old, and he accepted Islam. He insisted to have it done, so it it was done.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:34 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,029 times
Thank you for your comments.

And this is a thread about male circumcision.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:14 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Circumcision is one of the Sunnahs of the fitrah, as is indicated by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): "The fitrah is five things – or five things are part of the fitrah – circumcision, shaving the pubes, plucking the armpit hairs, cutting the nails, and trimming the moustache." narrated by al-Bukhaari (5889) and Muslim (257).

Circumcision is prescribed for both males and females. The correct view is that circumcision is obligatory for males and that it is one of the symbols of Islam, and that circumcision of women is mustahabb but not obligatory.

Hence, OP, you can't really separate the two, as they are for both.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Circumcision is one of the Sunnahs of the fitrah, as is indicated by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): "The fitrah is five things – or five things are part of the fitrah – circumcision, shaving the pubes, plucking the armpit hairs, cutting the nails, and trimming the moustache." narrated by al-Bukhaari (5889) and Muslim (257).

Circumcision is prescribed for both males and females. The correct view is that circumcision is obligatory for males and that it is one of the symbols of Islam, and that circumcision of women is mustahabb but not obligatory.

lol haha. Very cunning but very cheap as well.

If I was you, I would've rather wrote this.

"Dear OP, I am NOT a Muslim, and I don't believe in Islam. Let a follower of Islamic religion answer the question so that I could learn too. Me teaching you Islam would be as if, your mailman giving you medical advice"

Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Circumcision is covenant, via parents decision, between a human (child) and a god, that that given child will stay pure in his life, as he grows up.
As a sexual organ is chosen for the purpose, tells you how much religions fear anything related to sex.

Khalif, I always learn a lot from your posts. What is going on with female circumcision.
Female circumcision (or often called FGM) is not Islamic practice. I had never heard about it until long after I had migrated out of my mother country (a Muslim majority State). It was never being done in the State I was born and lived for the first 16 years. I am against it.

As for the male circumcision, it is a sign of covenant between us and God that we will obey Him. This tradition began with Abraham and his first son (not with Muhammad). It is a reminder to us that we are to do good (obey God) and refrain from doing evil (obey Satan). This practice of circumcision began with Abraham and his son Ishmael and, as the Qur'an shows us, we are to follow his tradition:

[16.120] Surely Abraham was an exemplar, obedient to Allah, upright, and he was not of the polytheists.
[16.121] Grateful for His favors; He chose him and guided him on the right path.
[16.122] And We gave him good in this world, and in the next he will most surely be among the good.
[16.123] Then We revealed to you: Follow the tradition of Abraham, the upright one, and he was not of the polytheists.

As you know, even Jesus was circumcised.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:

ukrkoz,

I do read ahadith books but Islam was perfected long before any hadith book was written (about 2 centuries later). The Qur'an and the previous revelations that are confirmed in the Qur'an from Allah are pure Islam. I do not reject any hadith book but I also do not take any of them as I take the Qur'an. Not everything in the hadith books conforms to the Qur'an. In fact there is a warning in the Qur'an for us for believing any other hadith than the Best Hadith, the Book from Allah:

[45.6] These are the verses of Allah which We recite to you with truth; then in what hadith would they believe after Allah and His verses?

Messenger Muhammad is going to be very sad on the Day of Judgment when he finds out that his followers after him had forsaken the Qur'an for the hadith books written by men centuries after the Qur'an. This future scene is already described by Allah in the Qur'an:

[25.30] And the messenger cried out: O my Lord! Surely my people have treated this Qur'an as a forsaken thing.

So keep in mind that (a) the Qur'an must not be treated as forsaken thing in favour of the hadith books and (b) not everything in the hadith books is obligatory as not everything in the hadith books is approved by Allah and his messenger.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Circumcision is prescribed for both males and females. The correct view is that circumcision is obligatory for males and that it is one of the symbols of Islam, and that circumcision of women is mustahabb but [b]not obligatory.
ukrkoz,

Where from did you get this information that circumcision of women is mustahabb in Islam?

For a start, it isn't in the Qur'an or in any previous revelations from Allah. Secondly, it could not have come from the prophet himself as none of his wives or daughters went through such a process. Even his companions are not known to have carried it out on their wives or daughters. Therefore, such a practice is totally non-islamic and quite likely cultural developed mainly in some parts of Africa or in African background families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam