U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

87 posts, read 25,324 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me understand this chapter (Surah 103) from Quran - one of the shortest chapters?

Consistent with my current resentment towards God (lol), this chapter further solidifies my stance that God has already set the odds against humans by telling us that we are in loss.

Unless of course as per the next line:

"except those who have faith and do righteous deeds, and enjoin one another to [follow] the truth, and enjoin one another to patience"

Now help me understand the following:

- who are considered as having faith? Only Muslims or only Monotheists?
- what righteous deeds? the universally accepted righteous deeds? Or only those deeds that Islam has decreed as righteous such as fasting for a month, praying in Islamically prescriptive manner, pilgrimage?
- which truth? because everyone's truth is different too even when we may follow the same religion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

3,219 posts, read 1,075,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnuluck View Post
Can anyone help me understand this chapter (Surah 103) from Quran - one of the shortest chapters?

Consistent with my current resentment towards God (lol), this chapter further solidifies my stance that God has already set the odds against humans by telling us that we are in loss.

"except those who have faith and do righteous deeds, and enjoin one another to [follow] the truth, and enjoin one another to patience"

Both Muslims (who are Monotheists) and those who believe in One God, His messengers and the Message from Him to mankind. The message includes belief in angels, Day of Reckoning and Hereafter. This includes freewill and accountability of each human being. Day of Reckoning is the day of accountability. That's when some will be losers and some successful (have salvation).

In this world, each human being has equal opportunity to do either to succeed or do to be loser. Control is in human's own hands. God is not going to be unjust to anyone. It will be a case of, "as you sow so shall you reap".

Quote:
- what righteous deeds? the universally accepted righteous deeds? Or only those deeds that Islam has decreed as righteous such as fasting for a month, praying in Islamically prescriptive manner, pilgrimage?
Universal righteous deeds are fine. Righteous deeds are identified in the Qur'an. Praying, fasting or hajj are not righteous deeds nor is turning to the east or the west in prayer is a righteous deed. These acts are training grounds for us to learn to be God-conscious, learn restraint and then do righteous deeds as well as refrain from doing evil deeds. The reckoning would be on deeds done by humans rather than mere outward forms of rituals.

[101.6] Then as for him whose measure of good deeds is heavy,
[101.7] He shall live a pleasant life.

[23.103] And as for him whose good deeds are light, these are they who shall have lost their souls, abiding in hell.

The following verses of the Qur'an identify some of the good deeds:
2:177, 2:215, 3:104, 3:130, 3:200, 4:36, 8:41, 9:60, 17:26, 30:38, 87:14.
Man was created to do good to other earthly living beings. This includes environment (trees/plants) that help to sustain life on earth.

Quote:
- which truth? because everyone's truth is different too even when we may follow the same religion
Being truthful. Enjoining truth revealed through the Qur'an. Doing good deeds. General truth is the same in most religions.

Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM

4,503 posts, read 1,701,906 times
Quote:

As Khalif already replied, I’d like add to a couple philosophical points.

1 - Some Islamic scholars have written that instead of the entire Quran, if only this chapter alone had been revealed, it would’ve been enough for the entire mankind to make it.

This is the kind of emphasis that has been put on the importance of the message and guidance given to all humanity in this chapter.

2 - The bold part.
For the sake of our discussion, if you are to believe in this, then the question is, Are you one of those who will be in loss, or are you one of those who will not be in loss?
The truthful answer is, you don’t know. None of us know.

So not only the odds are set against us, say even our destiny has been set, the fact is. we don’t know what our final destiny is?

All we can do is try our best and hope for the best. And this is what the purpose of life is.

Those who have faith, and they tried their best to live a peaceful and morally cautious and a righteous life, and they enjoined one another to follow and stand with the truth, and they enjoined one another in practicing patience - shall have no fear. (And “no fear” does not mean “arrogance”). No fear means, they are meek, docile and they have hope.

Yes, we are locked into it but now that we are here, let’s deal with it.

Notice the last last question and answer.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MQeKlL0fOaU

Last edited by GoCardinals; Yesterday at 10:55 PM..

Old Today, 02:05 PM

3,219 posts, read 1,075,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
As Khalif already replied, Iíd like add to a couple philosophical points.

1 - Some Islamic scholars have written that instead of the entire Quran, if only this chapter alone had been revealed, it wouldíve been enough for the entire mankind to make it.

This is the kind of emphasis that has been put on the importance of the message and guidance given to all humanity in this chapter.

2 - The bold part.
For the sake of our discussion, if you are to believe in this, then the question is, Are you one of those who will be in loss, or are you one of those who will not be in loss?
The truthful answer is, you donít know. None of us know.

So not only the odds are set against us, say even our destiny has been set, the fact is. we donít know what our final destiny is?

All we can do is try our best and hope for the best. And this is what the purpose of life is.
Although we don't know for sure our destiny, we can of course hope for the best if we do our best to
meet the purpose we were created for, and established on this earth with full compliment of means/livelihood for us, humans.

How to achieve success (salvation) and not suffer loss is clear in the verses of the Qur'an.
I quoted in my previous post the following verses of the Qur'an:

[101.6] Then as for him whose measure of good deeds is heavy,
[101.7] He shall live a pleasant life.

[23.103] And as for him whose good deeds are light, these are they who shall have lost their souls, abiding in hell.

The "measure" in the verse 101:6 is not measure in length or in count but in weighing on a scale. Each good deeds has a weight that is known only to God. Some good deeds or bad deeds are less in weight than the other good or bad deeds. We can only do our best and hope for the best.

The same weighting of deeds is mentioned in the verses 7:8 and 7:9 which I intend to explain in a day or so in some details in another thread about study of the Qur'an.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or