Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 05:17 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
In my opinion, a big majority of Christians cannot agree that Christian God and Islamic God are the same.

Cuz if they do, then technically and theologically, the entire Christian doctrine falls apart, as it's based on Trinity, a sin (that is called "Shirk") that Islamic God does not forgive.
Although a majority of Christians do believe in the Trinity, not all do. Some may disagree, but I don't see the Christian doctrine falling apart without it. Several large denominations do not believe in the Trinity.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:47 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Nice post, Khalif, thank you.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:54 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Although a majority of Christians do believe in the Trinity, not all do. Some may disagree, but I don't see the Christian doctrine falling apart without it. Several large denominations do not believe in the Trinity.
Also, there are individual persons within churches that are officially Trinitarian who do not accept or believe in the idea of the Trinity, but they can put that aside and continue to practice Christianity. One such man I know had been a former priest, but he renounced his vows because he came to realize that he didn't accept the Trinity as valid and that was a requirement of his priesthood. He is in his 80s now and still very active in the same church.

Even in churches that do believe, the clergy gets up every year on Trinity Sunday and dutifully tries to address it. I remember my old priest starting off by saying "If you think you understand this when I'm done, then I didn't explain it properly."

At any rate, it is good for all of us to learn about one another. Peace be with you.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:59 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We're having a discussion down in the general part of religion forum, and the question has come up:

What do Muslims think -- is the god they worship the same god that christians worship, and is it therefore just a difference of interpretation? Or do they reject the christian god as being not real? Or something else entirely?

When I goggled it, about all I found was what christians say muslims say.

Thanks for your help.
there is only one god
if the Christians believe that Jesus is god or son of god then it is not the same
also there is another issue god did not only sent Moses and Jesus but he also sent Muhammad
and he ordered not only human being but also the Jinn to obey him

the real issue is not worshipping the same god
but the real issue is refusing to believe in his final messenger and this a very dangerous matter for them.

it is like if Muslims do not believe in Jesus and/or Moses then what would be your judge
in their believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 04:50 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Also, there are individual persons within churches that are officially Trinitarian who do not accept or believe in the idea of the Trinity, but they can put that aside and continue to practice Christianity. One such man I know had been a former priest, but he renounced his vows because he came to realize that he didn't accept the Trinity as valid and that was a requirement of his priesthood. He is in his 80s now and still very active in the same church.

Even in churches that do believe, the clergy gets up every year on Trinity Sunday and dutifully tries to address it. I remember my old priest starting off by saying "If you think you understand this when I'm done, then I didn't explain it properly."

At any rate, it is good for all of us to learn about one another. Peace be with you.
I think I may have faintly heard about it but never gave it a serious thought.
It sounds interesting though.

So just out of curiosity, what is the position of Jesus for those Christians who reject the Trinity?

Old 06-08-2020, 02:09 AM

3,640 posts, read 39,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So just out of curiosity, what is the position of Jesus for those Christians who reject the Trinity?
There are several Christian groups who do not believe in Trinity. Unitarian is only one of them.

As Trinity concept was developed centuries later, we have to go back to the time immediately after the so-called crucifixion of Jesus and see what people at the time had believed about Jesus. One such incident is described in Luke 24:19 in which Jesus was described as "a prophet". And when we add what is said in John 12:49 ("I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken"), it becomes clear that Jesus was a prophet and a messenger of God.

Muhammad was also a messenger of God. He was also directed by God to Say: "I am not the first of the messengers, and I do not know what will be done with me or with you: I do not follow anything but that which is revealed to me...(Qur'an 46:9)

Both Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them both) were delivering messages from the same God.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:34 AM

106 posts, read 64,144 times
The Jews invented the God,
Granted some info came from previous Gods of the Summarians.
But they have the patient on it.

The Christians stole the God,
Added more Gods to it,
changed the rules,
and turned on the Jews.

The Muslims then stole the God.
Eliminated the Christian Gods,
Instilled their Prophet.
Changed the rules again,
and turned on the Christians and Jews.

Now God is either a wishy washy schizophrenic, who simply cannot make up his mind.

Or they are different Gods.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:45 AM

106 posts, read 64,144 times
People are quick to use "interpretations" as an excuse for the differences, however "Manipulations" is a better explanation.

The OT is written in Hebrew and Aramaic, and pretty much disposed of making way for the Greek NT, the basis of Christianity.

The Qur'an is plagiarized from Judaism, Christianity, Zoroastrianism, and Greek medical. It has no history of it's own.
Filled with stories of the same people as earlier, but with entirely different made up stories, for an Islamic twist.
But, as I said, no source for them.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:41 AM

3,640 posts, read 39,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasureoktoo View Post
Now God is either a wishy washy schizophrenic, who simply cannot make up his mind.

Or they are different Gods.
Your wishy-washy comment has been noted.

Please come back after you have made up your mind.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:20 AM

290 posts, read 164,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
This is why I had described what I believed about God (Allah). There is no point in saying what others (Christians or Jewish people) believe about God.

The problem starts when one begins to describe God's essence. God is just a generic word. God can be described by His attributes (as we understand) but not by His essence.

My understanding is that Trinity was developed long after Jesus in an attempt to describe essence of God. It goes so far then it falls apart. The more one tries to explain Trinity (God) the more complicated it becomes. More one explains it the more questions arise rather than answering the main question.

When I read the Jewish books or the Gospels, I try to understand them and try to reconcile them with the revelation of the Qur'an. This is where I can reconcile Father, Son and the Spirit with what is in the Qur'an without going too far and losing my way.

When Jesus said Father is greater than I, we can say that he was talking about God (Allah) as Father. He wasn't talking about two Gods one greater than the other. It would be going too far to equate Jesus with God.

We understand that God breathed His spirit into Adam and Adam became a living being. One is given life with spirit from God. Person is dead when spirit is taken away by God from that living person. Spirit in Arabic is "Ruh" and it comes from God. Basically it is known to us as "command from God". Spirit is also in Words of God (revelations). Words of God carry spirit from God. When we understand God's Words, spirit in us already is strengthened with more spirit from God through His Words.

Therefore, there is a link between human being with God through spirit whether through life giving spirit or through spirit in God's Words conveyed to us through the messengers (both humans and angels such as Jibrael).

It could be that the guys who put together the Trinity idea were trying to describe something similar but somehow went too far.

Overall, all three so called Abrahamic religions are about One God.

How do you reconcile the fact that Jesus kept calling God his "father"? In the Quran Allah says he is a father to no one, not the Jews, not the Christians, not Jesus, not mankind and the closest relationship a person can have to Allah is his slave.

It's either one of two things - Either Jesus really did go around claiming that God was his father which means he didn't preach anything near to islamic theology or the "father" statements from Jesus in the gospels were added in to create a narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam