U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,732 posts, read 31,781,541 times
Reputation: 6774

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The pope wasn't telling them and encouraging them to throw their molotov cocktails, now was he? The Pope (and whatever the Protestant version of the Pope is) didnot funnel money, bombs and guns to the terrorists. And no religious figure ever promised an afterlife of sexy virgins for those who killed themselves for the cause.
The 'Troubles' were a political situation that happened to be split down religous lines, much like the Sunni vs Shiite problems in Iraq (which has been going on long before the US showed up).
The closest comparision of Jihadism that Chrisitianity has would be the Crusades ---- which happened in the Dark Ages.
So who do you think was behind the Protestant occupation in Ireland? Did you think they took it upon themselves? NO, the christian country of England did that and started the strife there. Ireland was a Catholic country, they sent in Protestants trying to shift the power there, starting the entire problem. There are still occupying forces from England there, all in the name of the Queen who is the official head of the church of England.

Alot of misguided things were done on both sides but it was all done in fact in the name of christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,285,866 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
So who do you think was behind the Protestant occupation in Ireland? Did you think they took it upon themselves? NO, the christian country of England did that and started the strife there. Ireland was a Catholic country, they sent in Protestants trying to shift the power there, starting the entire problem. There are still occupying forces from England there, all in the name of the Queen who is the official head of the church of England.

Alot of misguided things were done on both sides but it was all done in fact in the name of christianity.

No, the Episopalians did not declare war on Ireland.
The Episcopalians did not invade Ireland.
The Episcopalians are not currently ensconced in the Northern tip of Ireland.

The word you are reaching for is ....... England! England, the UK, the Brits anyway you want to name 'em...they did it. They didn't even do it under the guise of religion, they did it for money, land and power...the same reason any government tries to overtake/overthrow another one.

You see, England is not a theocracy (the title given the Queen as being the head of the church is honorary only, and ironically originally given to King Henry VIII!) and that is why religion has no purpose in its decisions. Now there were a lot of instances of religious infighting between Catholics and Protestants, much like the Sunnis and Shiites....but that does not make for a Christian jihad.

Also, when speaking of the crimes of Christianity you must (in the confines of this discussion) keep it to organized faith --- an organized leadership within faith demanding horrid immoral acts of violance from its members a la the crusades. One nut case who blows up an abortion clinic does not the inquisition make.

All Muslims are not terrorists, let me be clear on that. But so far, most if not all terrorists have been Muslim, and all have been told that what they do is Holy. The middle of the road Muslims have not (that I know of) risen with disgust over this, nor have they stopped it themselves. For example: Westboro baptists are a bunch of crazies, and yes they have the first amendment right to show up at soldiers funerals and disrupt them with thier horrible messages. But what did American citizens do? We organized back. We found out where they were going to next, and they began to meet counter protests. I just wish those that follow Islam in the peaceful way I believe Mohummad intended would do more to stop those that have perveted Allahs word to nothing but hatred and death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 PM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 2,333,336 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No, the Episopalians did not declare war on Ireland.
The Episcopalians did not invade Ireland.
The Episcopalians are not currently ensconced in the Northern tip of Ireland.

The word you are reaching for is ....... England! England, the UK, the Brits anyway you want to name 'em...they did it. They didn't even do it under the guise of religion, they did it for money, land and power...the same reason any government tries to overtake/overthrow another one.

You see, England is not a theocracy (the title given the Queen as being the head of the church is honorary only, and ironically originally given to King Henry VIII!) and that is why religion has no purpose in its decisions. Now there were a lot of instances of religious infighting between Catholics and Protestants, much like the Sunnis and Shiites....but that does not make for a Christian jihad.

Also, when speaking of the crimes of Christianity you must (in the confines of this discussion) keep it to organized faith --- an organized leadership within faith demanding horrid immoral acts of violance from its members a la the crusades. One nut case who blows up an abortion clinic does not the inquisition make.

All Muslims are not terrorists, let me be clear on that. But so far, most if not all terrorists have been Muslim, and all have been told that what they do is Holy. The middle of the road Muslims have not (that I know of) risen with disgust over this, nor have they stopped it themselves. For example: Westboro baptists are a bunch of crazies, and yes they have the first amendment right to show up at soldiers funerals and disrupt them with thier horrible messages. But what did American citizens do? We organized back. We found out where they were going to next, and they began to meet counter protests. I just wish those that follow Islam in the peaceful way I believe Mohummad intended would do more to stop those that have perveted Allahs word to nothing but hatred and death.
well said, camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
72 posts, read 176,093 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The good christians in Ireland have done alot of killing in the name of their religion in the not so distant past. Thats this century, not the dark ages.
It wasn't religion in Ireland; it was economics. Have you heard about anything since Ireland has begun to prosper? Economics determines everything. Including man's justification for nailing our Savior to the cross. Remember what happened within a week of overthrowing the moneychanger's tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,801,920 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by camping!
Quote:
And yet you lambast the US every chance you get. You have never stepped foot in this country, yet you know all about it.
This simply is because America keeps meddling with the problems of other countries. Americans don’t even mind marching their armies into countries without having a clue about the cause of the domestic trouble there. They just presume that America can fix it and that it just is a matter of time.
Europe exhibited this exact behaviour with their colonies and most have learned that this can-do attitude (the American attitude) simply does not work when you are occupying foreign countries with a complete other culture than the western culture.

All America does is enter a country carpet bomb it and then expect that the problem is solved.
Many Europeans will tell you that the problems are only beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 PM
 
488 posts, read 1,040,436 times
Reputation: 278
Getting back to the originaln question, what is the best religion? I don't know. Do any of you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2008, 10:42 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,801,920 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by lakerat
Quote:
Getting back to the originaln question, what is the best religion? I don't know. Do any of you know?
There is no 'best' religion, only a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2008, 10:45 PM
 
488 posts, read 1,040,436 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by lakerat There is no 'best' religion, only a personal preference.
So, how did this get into a "bash America" thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,801,920 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by lakerat
Quote:
So, how did this get into a "bash America" thread?
Because of American Christian ignorance by saying that Christians are not violent or backwards.
Torture is violent and a clear sign of being backwards.
The fact is that there are Christians who use torture, like those American soldiers on Gitmo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 PM
 
488 posts, read 1,040,436 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by lakeratBecause of American Christian ignorance by saying that Christians are not violent or backwards.
Torture is violent and a clear sign of being backwards.
The fact is that there are Christians who use torture, like those American soldiers on Gitmo.
You have a real problem with American Chistians, don't you? And, How the hell do YOU know what is going on in Gitmo? Have you been there? Correct me if I'm wrong but, do you just hate the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top