Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:07 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,604,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by camping!They are the same because both follow orders without questioning them and both believe that they are doing the right thing for their country and / or their cause.
No, not the same. Soldiers fight in wars. Terrorists hijack planes to dive into buildings on a Tuesday morning.
When I say every soldier I do mean EVERY soldier.

What you Americans seem to forget is that American culture originated from Europe.
Without Europe America would not be what it is today.
Calling Europeans smug and arrogant is like calling your reflection in the mirror smug and arrogant.
Then what do you call insinuating Americans are stupid?
America and Europe are the same as communism and capitalism. Communism is a reaction to capitalism, without capitalism there would have been no need for communism.
And America is a reaction to Europe, without Europe there would never have been an America.
And yet you lambast the US every chance you get. You have never stepped foot in this country, yet you know all about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 06:14 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,084,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souhilo1 View Post
Many people have observed the actions of a handful of Muslims and immediately recorded it as an action condoned by Islam.....

*Islamic Shield Muslim Defence*
The question I have about Islam is this: If it's such a peaceful religion, and there are only a handful of Muslims who commit these horrible, violent crimes, where are all the "peaceful Muslims" during all of this? Why aren't they speaking out publicly against the violent Muslims? If Islam is truly peaceful, then the true, peaceful Muslims should be standing up for their religion and condemning those who are violent and reassuring the world that they are not acting in "true Muslim beliefs." Are they more concerned about keeping safe from the violent Muslims than they are about the violent image of Islam that's being portrayed to the world by the extremists?

Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,336,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The muslims do not help their cause by celebrating the deaths of hundreds after a suicide bombing. They also do not help the image of Islam when coercing two down syndromed women into becoming suicide bombers.
Luckily, Christianity left its violent backward ways in the dark ages.....when will Islam do the same?
I think you need to brush up on your history. Christians have been as bad or worst than the Muslims are now, and it sure did not stop in the dark ages. Look at Serbia, Ireland, Africa, World War II, and the Ratline after World War II, Racial issues in the United States, (both sides black and white), Connection to organized crime, murders, and attempts to change governments into Christian controlled systems. The list never ends and the time line is now! I am not fond of Islam, but I sure am not blind to the horrors of the Christian Church.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,604,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I think you need to brush up on your history. Christians have been as bad or worst than the Muslims are now, and it sure did not stop in the dark ages. Look at Serbia, Ireland, Africa, World War II, and the Ratline after World War II, Racial issues in the United States, (both sides black and white), Connection to organized crime, murders, and attempts to change governments into Christian controlled systems. The list never ends and the time line is now! I am not fond of Islam, but I sure am not blind to the horrors of the Christian Church.
Oh yes.....Pope Benedict "lil' Benny" XXlll, I remember your theories

Yes Christians have committed atrocities, and I bet tomorrow a Christian somewhere will kill somone. But that is not an organized religion ordering its followers to kill nonbelievers by any means necessary. Not even that evil pagan bastard 'Lil Benny'

Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 PM

131 posts, read 576,013 times
OH! Fer cryin' out loud!!!!

What is all the damn whinin' about? Christianity has had some of the most horrible murders just because they could. Islam, on the other hand, is still dishing it out! Old Mo said "Qur'an:9:5"Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war."
What else do you need to know with this death cult?
My advise to people is "buy the Koran and read it" I have the Koran and I have learned exactly what is says. Read it people................read it and weep! This is what your PC mentality says. Don't listen to me or anyone else from this board. Read it! In all it's ugly glory! Read it......................

Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 PM

488 posts, read 1,173,377 times
Wow. Sounds like the lakelady might have done a little reserch and may know a little about what she is talking about.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,429,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake.Lady View Post
OH! Fer cryin' out loud!!!!

What is all the damn whinin' about? Christianity has had some of the most horrible murders just because they could. Islam, on the other hand, is still dishing it out! Old Mo said "Qur'an:9:5"Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war."
What else do you need to know with this death cult?
My advise to people is "buy the Koran and read it" I have the Koran and I have learned exactly what is says. Read it people................read it and weep! This is what your PC mentality says. Don't listen to me or anyone else from this board. Read it! In all it's ugly glory! Read it......................
I have a question. How many of you have been to the Middle East to witness the "horrid" Islamic ways? Because I have. I've been there A LOT and it seems that all of this prejudice is a product of the news media. I honestly don't think any of you have made a truly valiant attempt at understanding their culture or religion except in what you want to believe.

Yes, there are fundamentalist Muslims. There are fundamentalist Christians (of which a few on this board currently exist and don't seem much different), and there are fundamentalist Jews but with a growing Muslim population of over one billion, I think it's pretty ridiculous to say that which represents 1% of a given religious group is what represents the religious group in entirety.

Then again, if that's the game people want to play, we can always say that the Bible approves of organizations like the Westboro Baptist Church or abortion clinic bombers. Right? Oh wait... that would be too un-politically correct to suggest such a thing!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 PM

488 posts, read 1,173,377 times
I'am not sure what your piont is Troop. But, I am trying to figure out the last time I saw a video from some christian organization showing the beheading of someone who did not believe the same as they did.
And, No. I have never been to the middle east.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 PM

131 posts, read 576,013 times
GCSTroop, You are absolutely correct.....most of us (me) have not been to the middle east. I can, however, say I was one of those naive peeps that gave muslims the benefit of the doubt..........and I still do......to a point.

After 9/11 I was one of those 'enlightened' people that still preached the same ol' religion of peace'. All good until I bought the Koran. And then I actually read that horrible book! Women are only half as good as a man when it comes to testimony? Don't believe me? Tabari IX:113"Allah permits you to shut them in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."

Yea............aint it grand? Keep telling me how wonderful life is for a woman! Damn, I'm sooo sorry I don't get to live in a 'hefty bag'

Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,429,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake.Lady View Post
GCSTroop, You are absolutely correct.....most of us (me) have not been to the middle east. I can, however, say I was one of those naive peeps that gave muslims the benefit of the doubt..........and I still do......to a point.

After 9/11 I was one of those 'enlightened' people that still preached the same ol' religion of peace'. All good until I bought the Koran. And then I actually read that horrible book! Women are only half as good as a man when it comes to testimony? Don't believe me? Tabari IX:113"Allah permits you to shut them in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."

Yea............aint it grand? Keep telling me how wonderful life is for a woman! Damn, I'm sooo sorry I don't get to live in a 'hefty bag'

First of all I am not defending the actions of Muslim extremism. I abhor it, I think it's a horrible thing, and I spent the better part of six years of my life in the military supporting efforts against it.

However, I think what is being unfairly portrayed is that Islam is a religion of violence and war in entirety which is why I pointed out that even if there are an army of 100,000 jihadists that it still only encompasses 1% of the religion.

As far as reading the Koran, I have not read it in entirety. I am familiar with the pillars of the faith and some of the verses in it. Nevertheless, I do not find the Koran to be any less violent or encouraging of violence than the Christian Old Testament. You can whine and complain all you want to, but the Old Testament (just as the Koran is currently being used) has been given justification for committing just as many, if not more, atrocities than that of the Muslim faith.

Although in today's modern era the extremism of Islam seems to be more prevalent in its actions of violence, it does not override the fact that much evil has been done on the face of the Christian Bible as well. What I don't understand is the hypocritical assumption that because of what occurs today is what encompasses an entire faith.

IF, and I mean IF, I wanted to get really picky, I could say that modern day Christians are committing genocide on a grand scale in the Catholic church's unspeakable and detestable strides to bring into Africa the persuasion of not wearing condoms. This, of course, in light of the fact that in some countries 33% of the population is AIDS ridden. So, although it may not be as blatant and in your face as beheading someone on national TV, I fail to see how we can simply overlook this atrocity being committed in the name of the Bible. Because, after all, the Catholics in Africa are doing such a thing under just that premise.

While I understand that there is a "war on terrorism" going on right now and that does encompass battling people of the Muslim faith, or should I say Muslim extremism, it does not mean we are fighting the Muslims in entirety.

My experiences in the Middle East outside of Iraq (which is really an unfair assessment) were generally very good ones. Although I did see women wearing burkhas and men who had several wives, I never looked at it as anything more than a part of their culture. Most of the Middle Eastern community was surprisingly "Western" in everything from the Coke cans to the Burger Kings. The teenagers roll around town in their Mercedes Benz's and blare incredibly bad 80's music to try and be like us. They were a very friendly and amicable people towards me whenever I did manage to get out. In Kuwait I cannot count the times I was given a "thumbs up" in obvious rememberance of how we defended against them when Iraq invaded. Overall, I found them to be incredibly nice people not much different than you or I with the exception of their culture.

I am not ignoring the violence that DOES occur in the name of Islam, but I am hesitant to paint Islam as a religion of violence and warfare in entirety based on one single time slice of the current events in today's world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam