U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,801,920 times
Reputation: 1573

Advertisements

Originally Posted by juj
Quote:
And please don't give the bull that the western countries are almost all Christian.
In the middle ages the Christians tried to convert every heathen, by brute force if need be.
The only reason why modern Christians are tolerant in Europe is because we have had the Age of Enlightenment.
Religion lost its influence to science and rational thinking, which btw is the greatest reason why many Europeans have become atheists or non-practicing Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2008, 12:08 PM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 2,333,336 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by juj In the middle ages the Christians tried to convert every heathen, by brute force if need be.
The only reason why modern Christians are tolerant in Europe is because we have had the Age of Enlightenment.
Religion lost its influence to science and rational thinking, which btw is the greatest reason why many Europeans have become atheists or non-practicing Christians.
That's again just proves my point. Christians today, while they disagree with atheists, don't want to kill them. I don't even see an atheist category (not specified) in the Muslim nations. It's either believe or....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
 
62 posts, read 173,563 times
Reputation: 33
I wouldn't say they tolerate each other equally! That thought would be ok in the States. If you go over to any muslim country and denounce their religion and started saying that yours was better, you would most likley end up dead or beaten and thrown out of there country. Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,801,920 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by juj
Quote:
Christians today, while they disagree with atheists, don't want to kill them.
Not giving people equal rights can be worse than killing them. Just like slavery generally is worse than death.
I personally prefer death over a life of slavery which equals to losing you autonomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 PM
 
Location: illinois
62 posts, read 89,795 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
So what you are saying is that Muhammed, himself, preached intolerance. Yes, you have cleared it up.
See I was expecting a more intellectual argument, but I guess I miss judged you. Well I guess if you want to say that Mohamed preached intolerance because he did not want any religion other than Islam to rule in the area, then I guess so does the Vatican and all popes, since they will not accept any religion to rule other than Roman Catholic.(notice the word rule not practiced).

As for the stats you provided, may I say they are selective at best, emm, I hope that was just an innocent mistake on your part. But here are some Muslim countries you did not mention,

Jordan: 10% non Muslim
Lebanon: 45% non Muslim
Sudan: 30% non Muslim

Here is a news flash for you, maybe Christian countries (if you call them that, since I don't think Europe can be labeled as Christian) are diverse due to new immigration policies, for pure economical need, and recent social tolerance that has nothing to do with Christianity as you claim.

In fact, most European countries only became tolerant when they shed Christianity off the system.

Your argument that European countries "have been Christian and remained Christian" shows lack of historical background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top