U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 AM
 
Location: texas
3,059 posts, read 3,229,328 times
Reputation: 1738

Advertisements

I am against Sharia law because it goes directly against what Jesus taught in how to treat your fellow man and woman. I am also a Libertarian and feel that men should let men live the way they want, without government interference(it's not a good thing to mix government and religion). I think the main diference between the West thought and the Muslim thought, is that Muslims feel it is ok to have a Muslim controlled government, while the West recongnizes that you have to have a seperation. The mandate of one church or type of religion is what really bothers me. That seems to be the way Muslims(from the middle east) like it though---Religion controlling the Government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,532,336 times
Reputation: 10490
I'm against Sharia law for the most personal of all possible reasons: I don't follow the precepts of Islam, and I resent those precepts being pushed in my face. If you are Islamic, and you accept guidance according to those laws, fine. Wonderful. Just keep them to yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,751 posts, read 3,097,732 times
Reputation: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
i argued many times in many forums about sharia in islam .
but all of them focused on why we impose islamic laws on nonmuslims
so i want for this discussion to be quite different here

my question is , if sharia law not contradict with commands of God of other relegions , why you deny it ?
is it because it's islamic ? or because it's issues oppose your relegion ?


so, what do you think sharia is ?
I don't know much about Sharia Law, but it seems that religious law is dependent on the differing interpretations of holy books and their associated writings. The fact that those who administer the law also interpret the law is disconcerting to me. I believe that allows for precedent to be too easily overturned without argument.

Those two areas of justice remarked above are separated in American law; I believe for the best. Precedent is much harder to overturn. It is a convincing argument by those hurt by established law and a defense by those who administer the law that a judge takes into account in his judgement.

This creates a more stable society, especially within a heterogeneous society. Religious law works best in a homogeneous society, but is there really such a thing. Differing interpretations of religious sects can rip a society apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
 
817 posts, read 1,925,593 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
i argued many times in many forums about sharia in islam .
but all of them focused on why we impose islamic laws on nonmuslims
so i want for this discussion to be quite different here

my question is , if sharia law not contradict with commands of God of other relegions , why you deny it ?
is it because it's islamic ? or because it's issues oppose your relegion ?


so, what do you think sharia is ?
I'm not sure what your question is, to be honest. You have several, I think.

I'll try to answer one at a time...

1-if sharia law not contradict with commands of God of other relegions , why you deny it ?
is it because it's islamic ? or because it's issues oppose your relegion ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "not...contradicts with commands of God in other religions." But as far as denying it...I am not muslim, therefore sharia law means nothing to me, nada. Now, if muslims want to follow it, fine, whatever...BUT...in the western world, most countries, especially the US, have heavy freedom of religion laws, and these have been interpreted to mean that the church and state should stay very separate. Thus...allowing muslims to use the state to enforce, minister, or in any way codify sharia as "official" would violate that separation.

If we allow muslims to have their own code of law, enforced by the state, then it opens up ALL religions to be allowed to do the same thing...and before you know it, legal chaos reigns.

2-what do you think sharia is ?

I am pretty sure it's a set of religiously based laws that guide muslims in their daily lives, but not positive on EXACTLY what the whole thing is.

Last edited by Kevin from Tampa; 07-12-2010 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,373,844 times
Reputation: 3735
Cool Because it's an antiquated and doomed system.

Whenever one group or one fundamental structure is presented as the final option, the "one and only", the perfect administration or the ideal for all men, it's bound to fail. There is no "perfect" religion or rule-set, obviously.

Man and his diverse cultures and social structures must all evolve (as in "change to better suit the conditions"), and to force a strict and limiting setup on people will always end up in chaos.

Sharia law has been presented as "the ultimate", therefore it's already doomed to failure. Any attempts to then press it on people will meet with a backlash, fighting in the streets and terrorism. It's only suitable if the recipient population are dullards, thoughtless and easily frightened.

Nice achievement, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,732,802 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Whenever one group or one fundamental structure is presented as the final option, the "one and only", the perfect administration or the ideal for all men, it's bound to fail. There is no "perfect" religion or rule-set, obviously.

Man and his diverse cultures and social structures must all evolve (as in "change to better suit the conditions"), and to force a strict and limiting setup on people will always end up in chaos.

Sharia law has been presented as "the ultimate", therefore it's already doomed to failure. Any attempts to then press it on people will meet with a backlash, fighting in the streets and terrorism. It's only suitable if the recipient population are dullards, thoughtless and easily frightened.

Nice achievement, huh?
They will fail, but how many people must die before it does...

YouTube - What is Sharia Law? Why it threatens America. Wafa Sultan explains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Not yet
251 posts, read 373,643 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The wonder of the United States is that we have separation of church and state and everyone if free to live and practice their religion. We do not live under religious law and we have a constitution. Anywhere there is sharia there is government that is neither progressive nor democratic and if you think people living under sharia have rights you are mistaken.

Muslim countries living under sharia are backwards with very few rights. Any country that stones people to death in my view has lost the way and is living in the dark ages.

all non-muslim here..

When we talk about Islamic law, we do not impose on Western states to be adopted it


Islamic law or(sharia) is according to Islam, which the first goal is give every individual the right, without prejudice or injustice and Prevent injustice and aggression against others or their property (." The Prophet has reportedly said: "All faithful in the sight of God are as equal as the teeth of a comb.")

Principally, even now none of you knew what the sharia law or (Islamic law) is, at all

All those who are against Islamic law they did not understand what is!

"in his March 16, 2008 New York Times article "Why Shariah?" Harvard University law professor Noah Feldman notes that "for most of its history, Islamic law offered the most liberal and humane legal principles available anywhere in the world." He also points out that the proof required to administer punishment is often very difficult to attain. To punish an adulterer, for example, it must first be proven that four people witnessed the sex act."

Islamic law is not a problem as all here think but a solution to the individual and society

What is Shariah?: Understanding Islamic Law (Shariah) and Jurisprudence (Fiqh) (http://islam.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_is_shariah - broken link)


Let me tell you something, only all of you say that Islamic law is a barbaric, So I say you it is only ignorance and Misconception is very clear ...

So, how did say that Muslim countries living under sharia are backwards with very few rights..


may I agree with you that there some of islamic countries have a few rights but that is Because of the dictatorship in their country not Not because of sharia, Where there are Muslim countries provide welfare and prosperity of their peoples and are still under the sharia....To go back to the Middle Ages, where prosperity in Spain that was under the sharia ...


Islamic law does not destroy at all but builds the happiness ...Prosperous State and the individual


in regard to ... backwards.. I say you " Go back to the History and look from who was lights of Western civilization and European by science and invention, which still exists even now in the West ... they are the muslims, Still their descendants of the inventors, and successful achievers in the Arab world and western....


who was say you that muslim are backwards!!!


I said all these not to make any one here muslim, but The most importance of it this slander on Islamic law, Where mixing between the corrupt Governor and dictatorship and the pure Islamic law


that's it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,532,336 times
Reputation: 10490
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanway View Post
The most importance of it this slander on Islamic law, Where mixing between the corrupt Governor and dictatorship and the pure Islamic law
But since there's no place in the world where 'pure Islamic law' is actually in effect, what else did you expect when you started a thread like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,333 posts, read 2,508,483 times
Reputation: 258
Exclamation But which religion believes that...

... each one of us must believe and return to our original friendship.

I think Zoroastrianism. But then I might ask the revere individualist faith of existential courage, and surprise, surprise God's son as Fact was strung up on the cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Not yet
251 posts, read 373,643 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
But since there's no place in the world where 'pure Islamic law' is actually in effect,


who Spoiled the concept of pure Islamic law they are Governments themselves Which claim that they adopted to Islamic law While they are picking what suits them and refuse to others For that find their people against them..


Islamic caliphate in the era Muhammad peace be upon him and the Middle Ages is represented to 'pure Islamic law' as it is


So, you as Jewish, Do you refuse to apply Jewish law on yourself ?

I know the Jewish law well


what else did you expect when you started a thread like this?

I did not understand what you mean in this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top