U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,572 posts, read 21,715,728 times
Reputation: 18115

Advertisements

Personally, I would rather discuss any belief system in my own words, in my own experiences, with as little "quotes" as possible..I am more interested in what people have learned from their experiences than the constant cut and paste scripture followed by arguements over interpretations and belittling of everyone who does not share their beliefs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,858 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
It appears that ptsum has you nailed. Busted.

You're wellcom.
hahha
it's not me who wrote this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,513 posts, read 10,329,656 times
Reputation: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
hahha
it's not me who wrote this thread
My question wasn't directed to you, it was for (s4mir) the original poster, however you're more than welcome to answer my question if you wish to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
 
Location: In a chartreuse microbus
3,854 posts, read 5,303,655 times
Reputation: 8023
Good luck, ptsum. He won't even answer mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,513 posts, read 10,329,656 times
Reputation: 6870
I find it very interesting that when any of the Muslims that are posting in this forum are confronted with a question that they cannot answer with their holy book, they just seem to quit the thread, can they not answer in their own words without having to quote their holy book, don't they have any thoughts of their own, are they allowed freedom of thinking. Just a mere observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,858 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
My question wasn't directed to you, it was for (s4mir) the original poster, however you're more than welcome to answer my question if you wish to.
yes i know , i didn't mean you , my respond was for sirron


anyway the issue of women in islam isn't complete in your view
in islam each gender have its rights and its prohibitation , the problem is that you just know the prohibitation and know nothing about her rights , which made you judge unjustly

Men and women are equally responsible for their actions. They have equal rights to education and the necessities of life. But they do not have exactly the same responsibilities and rights in Islam. For example, the wife has the right to be maintained by her husband, but he does not have the right to be maintained by her…

This does not mean that women are inferior. They have different roles in life, as mothers and nurturers. When a woman doesn’t have – though she is not prohibited - to exhaust herself to work outside. She is allowed to stay home and care for her young children. She can instill the best values in them. She can build a strong family… and strong families build strong healthy societies.


In Islam, the relationship between a husband and his wife is all about affection, respect, faithfulness, cooperation in being loyal to Allah, and contribution to the building of a wholesome society. Even in times of dispute, mutual understanding and fairness should be the dominant arbitrators.


The husband is responsible for providing his wife with the sufficient rate of food, fruit, oil and butter and all known means of sustenance that differ according to place, time and circumstances...

Sharia (Islamic) law states that after marriage, a woman keeps the money and property she owns.
the wife is given a set financial sum at the time of the marriage, which is written down as a term of the 'Nikah' or marriage contract.
This sum is known as 'Haq Mehr', and is intended to give the wife enough to survive on in the event of divorce or widowhood.

The role of the wife is summarized in the verse that women have rights even as they have duties, according to what is equitable; but men have a degree over them. Allah Almighty says, "And they (women) have rights similar to those (of men) over them in kindness, and men are a degree above them. Allah is Mighty, Wise." (Al-Baqaraqh: 228)

This degree is usually interpreted by Muslim scholars in conjunction with another passage which states, among other things, that men are trustees, guardians, and protectors of women because Allah has made some of them excel others and because men expend of their means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,858 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I find it very interesting that when any of the Muslims that are posting in this forum are confronted with a question that they cannot answer with their holy book, they just seem to quit the thread, can they not answer in their own words without having to quote their holy book, don't they have any thoughts of their own, are they allowed freedom of thinking. Just a mere observation.
if you really seek any knowledge from muslims , you can get it from muslims sites
IslamonLine.net (http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1118742803355&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/Page/FatwaCounselE - broken link)
you will not find here much muslims to respond your questions
beside i'm not perfect in english to respond to you easely

peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,858 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Why can't you have a normal conversation about your beliefs without quoting the Koran, you're doing the same thing that Christians do, when someone tries to ask you about your beliefs you come back quoting your holy book instead of giving your own personal opinion or your own thoughts on the subject. Do you not have any personal thoughts about your own religion? Just a question and a personal observation.
just a little difference
muslims are practice thier relegion from quran , they didn't deny even one verse from it , so when they quote from quran , so it's the answer without doubts
muslims can't tell you personal thought contradicts with quran , then attached it to islam
while in christianity , they didn't practice what stated in their bible , you will not find christians interresting even to know what the bible says
and they didn't accept every verse from it , they choose what they like and ignore what they don't like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,513 posts, read 10,329,656 times
Reputation: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
just a little difference
muslims are practice thier relegion from quran , they didn't deny even one verse from it , so when they quote from quran , so it's the answer without doubts
muslims can't tell you personal thought contradicts with quran , then attached it to islam
while in christianity , they didn't practice what stated in their bible , you will not find christians interresting even to know what the bible says
and they didn't accept every verse from it , they choose what they like and ignore what they don't like
elwill, I thank you for explaining a few things about your religion and your laws.
I do not have a religion, I have a culture and in our culture women are highly regarded, more so than men, you see to us women are the "life givers" and when a man and a woman get married in my culture, the man becomes part of her family, the woman is in charge of the preparing of all of the food, and the living quarters, she nurtures the children until they have reached their second cycle of life. The men are the protectors and the providers of the food, they enforce the laws of the nation, however, no laws are made without the women's approval first.
So you see in my culture, women are regarded very highly and treated with respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,858 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
elwill, I thank you for explaining a few things about your religion and your laws.
I do not have a religion, I have a culture and in our culture women are highly regarded, more so than men, you see to us women are the "life givers" and when a man and a woman get married in my culture, the man becomes part of her family, the woman is in charge of the preparing of all of the food, and the living quarters, she nurtures the children until they have reached their second cycle of life. The men are the protectors and the providers of the food, they enforce the laws of the nation, however, no laws are made without the women's approval first.
So you see in my culture, women are regarded very highly and treated with respect.
you are wellcome ptsum
it's great veiw you have in your culture
actually it's the same view of islamic culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top