Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,261,028 times

Advertisements

The religion of Islam is not named after a person as in the case of Christianity which was named after Jesus Christ, Buddhism after Gotama Buddha, Confucianism after Confucius, and Marxism after Karl Marx. Nor was it named after a tribe like Judaism after the tribe of Judah and Hinduism after the Hindus.

Islam is the true religion of "Allah" and as such, its name represents the central principle of Allah's "God's" religion; the total submission to the will of Allah "God". The Arabic word "Islam" means the submission or surrender of one's will to the only true god worthy of worship "Allah" and anyone who does so is termed a "Muslim", The word also implies "peace" which is the natural consequence of total submission to the will of Allah. Hence, it was not a new religion brought by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in Arabia in the seventh century, but only the true religion of Allah re-expressed in its final form.

Islam is the religion which was given to Adam, the first man and the first prophet of Allah, and it was the religion of all the prophets sent by Allah to mankind.
The name of God's religion lslam was not decided upon by later generations of man. It was chosen by Allah Himself and clearly mentioned in His final revelation to man. In the final book of divine revelation, the Qur'aan, Allah states the following:

"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion". (Soorah Al-Maa'idah 5:3)

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah (God) never will It be accepted of Him" (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:85)

"Abraham was not a Jew nor Christian; but an upright Muslim." (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:67)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,419,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
The religion of Islam is not named after a person as in the case of Christianity which was named after Jesus Christ, Buddhism after Gotama Buddha, Confucianism after Confucius, and Marxism after Karl Marx. Nor was it named after a tribe like Judaism after the tribe of Judah and Hinduism after the Hindus.
Dear Brother and Friend Elwill.

First of all Hinduism wasn't named after a tribe, the true name of Hinduism is Sanātana Dharma (सनातन धर्म), a Sanskrit phrase meaning "the eternal path" or "the eternal law".

The Universal Religion which hailed supreme in India. It is the oldest of all living religions. This is not founded by any prophet. Buddhism, Christianity and Mohammedanism owe their origin to the prophets. Their dates are fixed. But no such date can be fixed for Hinduism. Hinduism is not born of the teachings of particular prophets. It is not based on a set of dogmas preached by a particular set of teachers. It is free from religious
fanaticism.

Sanatana-Dharma means eternal religion. Hinduism is as old as the world itself. Hinduism is the mother of all religions. Hindu scriptures are the oldest in the world, Sanatana-Dharma is so called, not only because it is eternal, but also because it is protected by God and because it can make us eternal.

The Vedas are the foundational scriptures of Hinduism. The ancient Rishis and sages of India have expressed their intuitive spiritual experiences (Aparoksha-Anubhuti) in the Upanishads. These experiences are direct and infallible. Hinduism regards the spiritual experiences of the Rishis of yore as its authority. The priceless truths that have been discovered by the Hindu Rishis and sages through millennia constitute the glory of Hinduism. Therefore, Hinduism is a revealed religion.

Quote:
Islam is the true religion of "Allah" and as such, its name represents the central principle of Allah's "God's" religion; the total submission to the will of Allah "God". The Arabic word "Islam" means the submission or surrender of one's will to the only true god worthy of worship "Allah" and anyone who does so is termed a "Muslim", The word also implies "peace" which is the natural consequence of total submission to the will of Allah. Hence, it was not a new religion brought by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in Arabia in the seventh century, but only the true religion of Allah re-expressed in its final form.
Hinduism, unlike other religions, does not dogmatically assert that the final emancipation is possible only through its means and not through any other. It is only a means to an end and all means which will ultimately lead to the end are equally approved.

Hinduism allows absolute freedom to the rational mind of man. Hinduism never demands any undue restraint upon the freedom of human reason, the freedom of thought, feeling and will of man. It allows the widest freedom in matters of faith and worship. Hinduism is a religion of freedom. It allows absolute freedom to the human reason and heart with regard to questions such as nature of God, soul, creation, form of worship and the goal of life. Hinduism does not lie in the acceptance of any particular doctrine, nor in the observance of some particular rituals or form of worship. It does not force anybody to accept particular dogmas or forms of worship. It allows everybody to reflect, investigate, enquire and cogitate. Hence, all sorts of religious faiths, various forms of worship or Sadhana, and diverse kinds of rituals and customs, have found their honourable places side by side within Hinduism and are cultured and developed in harmonious relationship with one another.

Hinduism does not condemn those who deny God as the creator and ruler of the world, who do not accept the existence of an eternal soul and the state of Moksha or state of liberation. Hinduism does not render the upholders of such views unfit to be recognised as pious and honourable members of the Hindu religious society.

Quote:
Islam is the religion which was given to Adam, the first man and the first prophet of Allah, and it was the religion of all the prophets sent by Allah to mankind.
The name of God's religion lslam was not decided upon by later generations of man. It was chosen by Allah Himself and clearly mentioned in His final revelation to man. In the final book of divine revelation, the Qur'aan, Allah states the following:

"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion". (Soorah Al-Maa'idah 5:3)

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah (God) never will It be accepted of Him" (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:85)

"Abraham was not a Jew nor Christian; but an upright Muslim." (Soorah Aal'imraan 3:67)
I respect your beliefs brother and friend elwill, but I disagree on the idea that there is one true religion or that one religion holds the absolute truth of God's nature without offering me the possibility to experience that myself.

All religions agree in something though, Allah is nothing else but truth and righteousness right? so why don't we struggle first to be Good and Righteous and practice inconditional love so we can make this world a paradise where every human being could live in perfect peace and harmony.

Then we will know what Allah really is!
السلام عليكم As-Salāmu `Alaykum
(Peace be unto you!)

Old 05-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Hinduism is not born of the teachings of particular prophets. It is not based on a set of dogmas preached by a particular set of teachers. It is free from religious
fanaticism.
so hinduism is just philosophy , it isn't relegion revealed by God ?

Quote:
I respect your beliefs brother and friend elwill, but I disagree on the idea that there is one true religion or that one religion holds the absolute truth of God's nature without offering me the possibility to experience that myself.
thank you my dear for your informations about hinduism
just wanna to clear up something
muslims believes that there are just one God , so that there must be one relegion is the truth , i didn't mean to offense other relegions by saying that there are just one truth , it wasn't even my main purpose for write this thread

Quote:
All religions agree in something though, Allah is nothing else but truth and righteousness right? so why don't we struggle first to be Good and Righteous and practice inconditional love so we can make this world a paradise where every human being could live in perfect peace and harmony.
i hope so

thank you for your addition
salam

Old 05-23-2008, 12:28 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,419,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
muslims believes that there are just one God , so that there must be one relegion is the truth , i didn't mean to offense other relegions by saying that there are just one truth , it wasn't even my main purpose for write this thread
Of course that there is just one God, one supreme being which is the primordial cause, but imagine such a being escapes completely to our limited human understanding, hence the many interpretations that created world religions, however all the attributes of that supreme being are the same in any religion.

what are those attributes?

Non-dual, indivisible, non-doer, non-enjoyer,
unattached, without qualities, unmanifested, endless, immortal, bliss,
immovable, without impurities, imperishable, inexhaustible, without mind, without senses, unseen, truth, auspiciousness, good, beautiful, resplendent, existence-knowledge-bliss, all-full, pure happiness, peaceful, consciousness, mass of knowledge, full of knowledge,
all-pervading like ether, consciousness alone, full of That, pure, stainless, immovable,
beyond the reach of mind and speech, imperishable, steady, eternal, without attributes, supreme bliss,
without form, truth, knowledge, endless, bliss, existence-knowledge-bliss, self-luminous, immortality, alone, changeless, Self
pure, perfect, illumined, existence-knowledge-bliss, without defects, pure, spotless,
eternal, formless, without qualities, superconsciousness, Self, Supreme Self, consciousness,
full of light, bliss.

So instead on focusing on the differences, and believing other religions won't get us there: to that supreme and ecstatic state of consciousness, we should try to focus on the coincidences and use the power of reasoning that was a gift from Allah to realize that we all worship the same God, and we all struggle to become virtuous human beings who can express his magnificent light in our beings just like our prophets did, we might have small differences in our religions, but in what matters the most all religions agree, and that supreme essence is nothing else but truth and righteousness, wisdom, peace and love.

That's why I offer you my friendship and I propose to you and to all the rest of the honorable members of this community to forget our differences and strive to love each other, to understand each other and to forgive each other, because where there is love, peace, harmony and understanding, Allah is present!!

Peace, Love, Unity, Respect!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post

That's why I offer you my friendship and I propose to you and to all the rest of the honorable members of this community to forget our differences and strive to love each other, to understand each other and to forgive each other, because where there is love, peace, harmony and understanding, Allah is present!!

Peace, Love, Unity, Respect!
i agree with you , beaside i'm really don't have bad feelings against anyone here
we must know the similarities and differences between us without harsh feelings , the differences should not change our behaviours against each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam