Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 PM

335 posts, read 375,628 times

Advertisements

Many non-scholarly Muslims and Christians alike believe Allah is just the Islamic name for God; the same God mentioned in the Bible. There is quite a history behind the origin of the name. "Allah" is in fact the same as the god "Bel" in scripture. This has a significant tie in to their Crescent Moon symbol. Most Muslims do not know that.

There is more than you would probably ever want to read on this in the follwoing links provided. It is good to know when being confronted with Islam.

Allah, His Heritage in Paganism-- El examined

ALLAH, WHO IS HE?- As found in the Koran, the Hadith, and ancient history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
I know there will be some here who disagree with me, but I believe that Allah is simply the name by which the Abrahamic God is known to Muslims. While there are clearly differences between how Jews, Christians and Muslims understand God, I believe that the Abrahamic God is the God we all worship.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 PM

335 posts, read 375,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I know there will be some here who disagree with me, but I believe that Allah is simply the name by which the Abrahamic God is known to Muslims. While there are clearly differences between how Jews, Christians and Muslims understand God, I believe that the Abrahamic God is the God we all worship.
That is the misconception by the masses. This is why I posted this information.

There is a history behind Allah which predates Muhammad, Islam, and the Arabic language.

Muslim clerics are happy to have the watered down belief that allah is the same as the God of Abraham. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yep. I believe that too. "Allah", to the Muslim simply means the One and only God who created all things. I know some Muslims personally.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
While yes, Islam has many doctrinal differences than Christianity and Judaism as they are different religions, Allah is simply the Arabic word for God. Much like El is in Hebrew, or Deus in Latin.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
Arabic-speaking Christians use the word "Allah" to refer to the same Christian God as English-speaking Christians. "Allah" shares a Semitic root with -el which is used at the end of many Angels names like Michael, Gabriel, Uriel and Ezekiel, and the "el" in "Elohim" as well, because "el" is Hebrew for "God."

Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
Muslim clerics are happy to have the watered down belief that allah is the same as the God of Abraham. That couldn't be further from the truth.
indeed,thanks for posting.
I also know a few muslims,all nice ppl,but I don't care for the Islamic religion,of which I think is evil..the antithesis to Christianity,and the one satan invented and inspited to be the primary false religion (along with the catholic religion) that is counterfeit.
JMO,I don't care to debate,thanks.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:56 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
You can find many things said on website, it doesn't make them true.

Allah means "The God." There does seem to have been a god among pre-Islamic Arabs called "Allah", but this might be no more significant than there being various "El" gods among pre-Israelite Near-Easterners. Names like "Allah" and "El" look to simply mean "supreme deity" or "high deity" in Semitic languages so it's not surprising to see them repeated.

Possibly one could argue from that that "Allah" is the supreme deity of Arabic paganism, and that Islam is therefore just a syncretic mix of Arabic paganism with Abrahamic religion, but I think that's different than the argument you're making. And I think even that could be highly loaded.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
The moon and star on some Muslim dominated countries is not the religion of Islam but a symbol that the Ottoman empire brought in 1453 when they conquered Constantinople and kicked the Pope out and used these flags, but before that, some 800 years there was no flags with moon and star in Islam ........ But still Islam took the ideas of righteousness from the Jews and Christians and rejected the corner stone that the builder of Islam built which was Jesus as the son of God and the Holy Spirit from the spirit of God .....as in Matthew 21: 42....``The stones which the builders rejected is the same is become the head of the corner, which is the Lord`s doing, and is marvelous in our eyes.``

Old 04-10-2011, 05:17 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
Many non-scholarly Muslims and Christians alike believe Allah is just the Islamic name for God; the same God mentioned in the Bible. There is quite a history behind the origin of the name. "Allah" is in fact the same as the god "Bel" in scripture. This has a significant tie in to their Crescent Moon symbol. Most Muslims do not know that.

There is more than you would probably ever want to read on this in the follwoing links provided. It is good to know when being confronted with Islam.

Allah, His Heritage in Paganism-- El examined

ALLAH, WHO IS HE?- As found in the Koran, the Hadith, and ancient history

Allah is G-d in arabic.......

But you want to speak of G-d....

Christianity has all sorts of pagan symbols.....

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam worship the same G-d but in different ways.
All three have a different understanding of G-d and a different writings pertaining to G-d.

What a wonderful place it would be if Christians could work to understanding the other instead of working to tearing down the beliefs of others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam