U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,938,952 times
Reputation: 1307

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Why do you call Christians Xians?
chiel can correct me if i am remembering wrong, but she isn't referring to all christians that way, just the ones that she sees as somewhat lunatic. i will admit that with her definition, this probably includes myself, and a number of others that i would consider pretty rational. but at least she makes the effort to differentiate between 'normal' christians and the fred phelps-wannabees.

as to the discussion currently going on with campbell, i think that a lot of our worship and our testimony has to come across silently. our actions can and do speak louder than our words anyway.

there is a time for everything. but that also means that there is a time for something to be put on pause. i like scripture, but i certainly don't recite verses from 1st and 2nd timothy when i'm making love to my wife. if i love her enough, truly, respectfully, and compassionately love her enough, then i am doing enough testifying as it is, and can afford to focus on everything else that i should be doing at that moment.

if the marine had one-on-one conversations with someone (iraqi or otherwise) that did not interfere with his job, then i see no problem with his discussion. but he made it a point to coerce his beliefs onto another person, not to share. not to testify. not to aid or enlighten. but to simply hand over a symbol to people that would not have been willing to take it were it not for the gun in his other hand.

i think that anyone can see that in the long run, there is no way that his efforts can be seen as productive. i highly doubt that a single person in this country or in iraq has been inspired to pick up a bible and find Jesus because of this marine.

like i said, there is a time and a place for everything. God wants us to be smart as much as He wants us to be zealous. i will not bring many souls to knowledge of their Redeemer if i shout hosannas in myh closet, nor will i if i use my authority to force my views on people that are already uncomfortable and ignorant of my message. no matter how much love and devotion i preach with.

aaron out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2008, 01:12 AM
 
2,633 posts, read 4,534,015 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
he word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 AD. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ), used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ. The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as , is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches
Didn't people ever wonder why Christmas is sometimes written as Xmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 AM
 
Location: England
1,171 posts, read 2,242,521 times
Reputation: 1007
Chiel Girl, why don't you just move to an Arab state? Oh......because you won't be able to be an ageing hippie anymore??? You won't be able to dress like you want, speak like you want, act like you want.

I am tired of people lambasting Christinity when this country has been blessed because of their Faith in God. Everything we have, the freedom we are blessed with, the things we take for granted are so easily taken away.

The whole point here is, some Marines dared to talk to some Muslims about Jesus. Yet, another poster said that a Marine was given some muslim relgiious items and NO OFFENCE WAS TAKEN.

We are all running, cap in hand to these people, acting humble, "Sorry, for talking about Jesus", patting them on the head "Oh yes, Allah - peace on him - he is just as important....oh yes, you can build 50 mosques here next year......oh yes, we will foot the bill...." and people like you - attacking your own countries foundation of faith - are just what the Hard line extremist muslilms want.

Well, we are free to make our own choices the blood of our ancestors brought this freedom for us as they fought and paid with their own lives. If you just want to surrender and do everything the Musllim world wants then fine. But believe me, the Muslims won't be throwing THEIR heritage and faith away so easily.

And yes, we are called to share our faith. Yes, there is a time and a place. It's called "Now is the time of Salvation, Today if you will hear his voice".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,279,724 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
If you just want to surrender and do everything the Musllim world wants then fine. But believe me, the Muslims won't be throwing THEIR heritage and faith away so easily.
And that's the problem in entirety, jenna. The Muslims most certainly do not throw away their heritage and faith so easily. The problem, almost in entirety, as I mentioned a few pages back is that we are seen as invaders and on some sort of crusade. We, in America, don't really realize we are viewed in this light. We think we are doing a world of good by spreading democracy into the country but to many Muslims we are seen as merely trying to conquer a Muslim state and spread both democracy and Christianity. When we have Marines doing what they did it only reinforces that notion to the Muslim community (that we are on a crusade). And that is where the problem lies. It's not so much about spreading faith as much as it is trying to keep a delicate balance in a very fragile country. There's a time and a place for it and in the middle of Baghdad when everyone already has their eyes and ears open to see what the Americans are going to do this is not a good thing. The military has to take very gentle care over there to protect what little sanctity Iraq has. And because the Muslim community does not abandon their faith and heritage as many as so many Americans, it's a dumb thing to do.

I have to ask but I am afraid of the answer. What is more important? Spreading the word of Christianity in hopes of "saving" a few people or possibly igniting a firestorm of hatred and violence over something such as this? How many lives could potentially be lost if we allowed this sort of thing over there? If one man decides that an American handing out coins with scripture on them is justification for blowing himself up in a busy market and kills 50-60 people, is that worth the cause? And what happens when someone who loses a family member in that market decides to seek revenge on the Shi'a or Sunni denomination of the bomber? What happens then? Does he blow himself up as well in a crowded Sunni or Shi'a marketplace? And for what? All because an American was handing out coins. It's THAT delicate over there. The nature of that country is so unstable that even a fly landing on top of the teetering tower could make the whole thing topple down.

It's not about whether Christianity is right or wrong. It's about trying to actually stabilize a country that has been torn apart by war for the last five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 AM
 
Location: England
1,171 posts, read 2,242,521 times
Reputation: 1007
Yes, I know the situation must be almost intolerable out there but the Muslims hated Christians and America BEFORE this war. Remember 9/11 and what happened there.

But, of course in this war torn country stability and safety must be paramount. So, I agree that Marines shouldn't be out preaching in the town square, but I have read about an Iraqi girl who was stoned to death for just talking to an American Marine. So, these people take offence at the smallest thing.

If there is no offence they will find one. There will be no peace in Iraq. The people are volatile and fight constantly amongst themselves and loathe the western world.

But, I must agree, the Marines should be cautious in this area of faith. But, if someone WANTS to talk about Jesus with a Marine then he should. This is all very dangerous territory I know and the safety of the troops and the Iraqis people should be paramount.

I just get angry at the way we all hold ourselves responsible, when in fact, the Muslims and their total abhorhance of Christianity and America is the real issue and then you have people on here seeming to agree with them. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Aim at the real enemy. Christianity is not intolerant - see the real root of intolerance.

Godbless ALL the Troops in Iraq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 AM
 
Location: South Seattle Suburbs
3,350 posts, read 5,955,786 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why am I not surprised that fundies would do something so idiotic...I hope someone puts a stop to this practice.
A few years back, the Washington Post ran a story that told about U.S. servicemen forcing Iraqis, under threat of torture, to renounce their beliefs and say they loved Jesus. And this is how we spread peace and freedom? Create more terrorists, maybe, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,884 posts, read 31,780,534 times
Reputation: 12629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Yes, I know the situation must be almost intolerable out there but the Muslims hated Christians and America BEFORE this war. Remember 9/11 and what happened there.

But, of course in this war torn country stability and safety must be paramount. So, I agree that Marines shouldn't be out preaching in the town square, but I have read about an Iraqi girl who was stoned to death for just talking to an American Marine. So, these people take offence at the smallest thing.

If there is no offence they will find one. There will be no peace in Iraq. The people are volatile and fight constantly amongst themselves and loathe the western world.

But, I must agree, the Marines should be cautious in this area of faith. But, if someone WANTS to talk about Jesus with a Marine then he should. This is all very dangerous territory I know and the safety of the troops and the Iraqis people should be paramount.

I just get angry at the way we all hold ourselves responsible, when in fact, the Muslims and their total abhorhance of Christianity and America is the real issue and then you have people on here seeming to agree with them. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Aim at the real enemy. Christianity is not intolerant - see the real root of intolerance.

Godbless ALL the Troops in Iraq
Fundamental Christians are intolerant, as are fundamental Muslims. You say Muslims are the real enemy, but you are using a very broad brush there sister. The vast majority of Muslims are not fundamentalists, and are not the enemy....You have shown your christian intolerance by saying that all Muslims are the enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 07:48 AM
 
Location: England
1,171 posts, read 2,242,521 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
A few years back, the Washington Post ran a story that told about U.S. servicemen forcing Iraqis, under threat of torture, to renounce their beliefs and say they loved Jesus. And this is how we spread peace and freedom? Create more terrorists, maybe, but that's about it.
These guys weren't christians! Christians would not torture other people. they were trying to get them to say they love Jesus only because they knew how disgusting that would be to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 AM
 
Location: England
1,171 posts, read 2,242,521 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Fundamental Christians are intolerant, as are fundamental Muslims. You say Muslims are the real enemy, but you are using a very broad brush there sister. The vast majority of Muslims are not fundamentalists, and are not the enemy....You have shown your christian intolerance by saying that all Muslims are the enemy.
This country was built on fundamental christianity. Fundamental christianity means living for God 100% Following his laws of love and kindness. That is what made this country great.

Fundamental Muslilms live by the LAW 100% they believe in the laws of Rule and obediance or else....this is what makes the Countries of Islam what they are - you need to research this.

I am not saying ALL muslims are hate filled terrorists - just that Islam basically is. Obviously, some Muslims are daring (despite fear of death or flogging) to talk to some Marines about Jesus. They are just not allowed to follow any other faith. If they do they may have to sacrifice their life.

Compare the two religions, the countries where they are practiced, you will see - Christianity is not intolerant at all. Islam is.

PS - Jesus came to save Muslims too you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,884 posts, read 31,780,534 times
Reputation: 12629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
This country was built on fundamental christianity. Fundamental christianity means living for God 100% Following his laws of love and kindness. That is what made this country great.

Fundamental Muslilms live by the LAW 100% they believe in the laws of Rule and obediance or else....this is what makes the Countries of Islam what they are - you need to research this.

I am not saying ALL muslims are hate filled terrorists - just that Islam basically is. Obviously, some Muslims are daring (despite fear of death or flogging) to talk to some Marines about Jesus. They are just not allowed to follow any other faith. If they do they may have to sacrifice their life.

Compare the two religions, the countries where they are practiced, you will see - Christianity is not intolerant at all. Islam is.

PS - Jesus came to save Muslims too you know.
You are mistaken on so many levels...America was not built of fundamental Christianity. How could it when fundamental Christianity didn't exist until the late 1800s? America was and hopefully still is a secular nation.

In my opinion all fundamentalists, whatever religion are intolerant...Your views on Muslims confirms Fundamental Christian intolerance, but perhaps it is just you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top