U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:21 AM

7,654 posts, read 9,891,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
which part of dc's message are you disagreeing with? the part about time? or the part about 'converting' people at gunpoint, and domineering them into some sort of agreement?

incidentally, you really don't consider it to be manipulative for an occupying force to be promoting its religion at gunpoint? you really think that such an act is biblically sound?
No one is domineering anyone by passing out a coin. And what ever situation we find ourselves in, it is always the right time to tell people about Christ. Yes, it is Biblically sound, and God will never be upset with anyone because he came to Him through the witiness of a man in uniform. Only someone stuck in their political correctness could find fault in such a man. Thankfully, God is so much bigger than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
are you purposely evading my questions, or do you just believe them not worth your time to answer?

one more for you? if every second of now is the time and place to preach, why are you on the internet arguing about this marine? if every moment is when you should be preaching, do you really quote scriptures to your spouse while making love?

am i way off base, or can you consent that there are times when it is not even appropriate to preach? would it be appropriate in the middle of a board meeting? would it be appropriate to randomly start up a witnessing conversation with the guy at the urinal next to you in the mens room?

if all of these are appropriate, have you done them all? if not, why not? if not, are you planning on repenting, and beginning?

there are bad things that we can do in life, there are good things we can do, and then there are the best things that we can do in life. in every case, time, place, and situation are relevant to an act to determine where it falls on that continuum. if i would rather stay home and read scriptures than go to the hospital with my wife when she goes into labor, a good thing (scriptures), has turned into a bad thing (putting them before my wife's very immediate needs). testifying is good. testifying in a way that requires disobeying lawful orders, breaking your own word, and coercing others is a bad thing (which is one of the issues i asked you about that you still have not answered).

i am sure that there is more, but this will do for now, assuming that if i keep it short, you might actually get around to answering it.

aaron out.
I tell people of Christ when I feel God directs me to do so. And in the case of the marine, I feel God may of directed him. It is not my place to try and dictate the proper time, I leave that to God. And God is not worried about political correctness, only sold out hearts for Him. The men of the Bible broke the laws of man all the time, and they broke them because they understood the laws of God were of greater importance. It appears to me, you believe that Gods commands must come second, and mans laws must come first. I would say you are putting the cart before the horse. When God puts a job before you, as a Christian, your first responsibility is to obey God. Now if that bothers you, I would suggest you take that up with God.
Long ago I told God I was going into the Navy. God told me not to go. I told God that I was going anyway and we would take up our relationship after boot camp. On the day that I passed my navy physical I got caught on a 7,400 volt eletrical line. After much trial and tribulation of that year I finally got the message. I don't argue with God anymore. I just try and do what he asks me to do.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:05 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,802,802 times
Seabee wrote:
Quote:
Iraq had WMD's we found them and removed them. I have seen them I know about them I know they were Nuc's I know they were from Russia. I know you did not hear about them. I know you know nothing about this war. Never had anything to do with 9-11 the left are the ones that said it was . We took them out because it was what was needed. The people in Iraq are happy we did and most love Americans If you get any of your news for a network news channel your a fool. Get your news from Iraq. Get it from the other Arab countries. Try google translator. You people know nothing. It is quite funny to see what people on the outside of smart think. Sheep .
Do you realize that if what you were telling us was really factual that our government would have made this public because it would have given the war legitimacy? We started this war over WMD's and after searching Iraq we admitted we couldn't find any. If you want to become famous and can prove your statement why don't you present your evidence to the press? As far as news from Arab nations is concerned none of them have a free press and from all accounts it's nothing but propaganda and has the kind of journalism standards you might find in a supermarket tabloid.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,291,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
No one is domineering anyone by passing out a coin. And what ever situation we find ourselves in, it is always the right time to tell people about Christ. Yes, it is Biblically sound, and God will never be upset with anyone because he came to Him through the witiness of a man in uniform. Only someone stuck in their political correctness could find fault in such a man. Thankfully, God is so much bigger than that.
You are right, passing out a coin isn't domineering.
But if you are passing out a coin while holding a large loaded gun and you are part of a foreign military occupation force then yes ---- that would be domineering.

Put it is this way, if Iran occupied your city, and as you were going thru an armed military checkpoint, an Irani solidier gave you a coin that read in English "Allah is god", while he was holding a gun and cannot even speak English --- would you think, "oh, this young man who just happens to be armed to the teeth wants to share his love of god with me....how sweet" or would you feel that he was forcing, literally forcing his religious views onto you?

Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,056,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
But if you are passing out a coin while holding a large loaded gun and you are part of a foreign military occupation force then yes ---- that would be domineering.

Put it is this way, if Iran occupied your city, and as you were going thru an armed military checkpoint, an Irani solidier gave you a coin that read in English "Allah is god", while he was holding a gun and cannot even speak English --- would you think, "oh, this young man who just happens to be armed to the teeth wants to share his love of god with me....how sweet" or would you feel that he was forcing, literally forcing his religious views onto you?

Camping you hit the nail on the head. If I was in the situation you mention (shoe on the other foot) I would be thinking and saying only one word....JIHAD. That translated into English means CRUSADE.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,040,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Camping you hit the nail on the head. If I was in the situation you mention (shoe on the other foot) I would be thinking and saying only one word....JIHAD. That translated into English means CRUSADE.
Jihad is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion

Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Unless he held a Gun to my head and told me to accept Allah, I would believe he was just sharing his religious views with me. That's what I would believe.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,056,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
Jihad is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion

It surely is but that is not the meaning that most people give it in the West. To them (us) it means Crusade and you may thank the mass media and the hysteria mongers for that.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,291,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Unless he held a Gun to my head and told me to accept Allah, I would believe he was just sharing his religious views with me. That's what I would believe.
Oh, please. You would be up in arms and you know it.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Oh, please. You would be up in arms and you know it.
I would not be up in arms for someone giving me a coin. I may not agree with his belief, but as long as I was not being forced to become an Islamic, I would see no problem with such an expression from one person.
Even now when Jehovah's Witnesses come over to my house I invite them in and love to debate them. Usually my wife gets mad at me when I do this, so I don't make a pratice of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or