U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 6,676,384 times
Reputation: 483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
As should be obvious, the problem isn't just that people are proselytizing in Iraq. The problem is that representatives of the United States government are doing so. The Constitution prohibits the government from favoring one religion over another. And if that weren't enough, a little common sense ought to show it's a bad idea to try converting a country that doesn't trust us and that we are occupying militarily.
A Christians first responsibility is to God first. And if you don't like that, perhaps the government should kick all the Christians out of the military and replace them with Atheist. I doubt it is our government that is encouraging the service men to pass out coins. It is Christian American service men who are believers in Jesus Christ. You can't blame everything on the American government. And it is the American Constitution that states that we Americans have freedom of religion. Now that may be a freedom you would like to do away with, but thats a freedom that Americans have embraced from the beginning, and I see no reason to do away with it now.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 6,676,384 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Unreal...Don't think, just do as commanded. When are you booking your flight?
It is because I am a thinker that I look forward to telling people about Christ. And it is because most people don't think, that they donot know who Jesus Christ is. And I do as commanded, because I know the truth. And that truth has set me free.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
2,599 posts, read 3,544,773 times
Reputation: 1966
Campbell, I'm not sure what thinking you've been doing -- I was raised an idiot Protestant Christian and I know exactly what type of thinking you have to excuse to remain shut in to that belief. This isn't to take anything away from people whom believe in a higher deity, but to close yourself off from reality, which is exactly what it takes to be a fundamentalist Christian in today's era, is both embarrassing and intellectually destitute.

I hope your Xian comrades in the military go straight to heaven after they get shot in the head for being such xenophobic idiots.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 AM
 
8,187 posts, read 7,954,352 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
A Christians first responsibility is to God first. And if you don't like that, perhaps the government should kick all the Christians out of the military and replace them with Atheist. I doubt it is our government that is encouraging the service men to pass out coins. It is Christian American service men who are believers in Jesus Christ. You can't blame everything on the American government. And it is the American Constitution that states that we Americans have freedom of religion. Now that may be a freedom you would like to do away with, but thats a freedom that Americans have embraced from the beginning, and I see no reason to do away with it now.
I think you need to take a civics course. Freedom of religion does not mean you can break laws to express your religion. For example, if your religion demanded a blood sacrifice ---- that would be illegal and you would suffer the consequences. If your religion demanded that you marry a child bride ---- that would be illegal and again, you would suffer the consequences.
In this case, proselytizing on foreign (and extremely hostile) soil is against the law, both Iraqi and military. So ---- he will and should suffer the consequences. If he or any other military personal want to convert the hostile masses of Iraq then as soon as their time is up, they should become missionaries. Then they can do as they please. Except of course they won't have guns at their disposal, and the backing of the US government. Most likely they will become imprisoned or even executed. But they aren't cowards! I'm sure they aren't hiding behind that machine gun and occupation forces status!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
25,012 posts, read 18,679,388 times
Reputation: 9905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
It is because I am a thinker that I look forward to telling people about Christ. And it is because most people don't think, that they donot know who Jesus Christ is. And I do as commanded, because I know the truth. And that truth has set me free.
You contradict yourself...You say you are a thinker, then say you do as commanded... I don't think you would last a day in Iraq if you went around spreading your "truth".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,612 posts, read 3,488,897 times
Reputation: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You contradict yourself...You say you are a thinker, then say you do as commanded... I don't think you would last a day in Iraq if you went around spreading your "truth".
while i agree that iraq is not the place to do this (and that law, both iraqi and american, as well as social contract theory and even just plain, honest morality, prohibit it), i have to point out that doing what you are commanded does not mean you are not thinking. sure, there are people that would rather have someone else think for them, but there are plenty of intelligent people that, even though they think for themselves (and indeed, sometimes because they think for themselves), they choose to obey commands.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 03:40 PM
 
244 posts, read 261,804 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
A Christians first responsibility is to God first.
And what did your God tell you about rendering unto Caesar that which is Caesar's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34
And if you don't like that, perhaps the government should kick all the Christians out of the military and replace them with Atheist.
Why should it kick out all the Christians when it's just a small minority that want to violate the Constitution like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34
I doubt it is our government that is encouraging the service men to pass out coins. It is Christian American service men who are believers in Jesus Christ.
I didn't say the government was encouraging it. I'm saying when they wear the uniform of the US armed forces they are acting as representatives of the US government. They can't promote a religion under those circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34
And it is the American Constitution that states that we Americans have freedom of religion. Now that may be a freedom you would like to do away with, but thats a freedom that Americans have embraced from the beginning, and I see no reason to do away with it now.
No one's suggesting they can't worship as they please on their own time. But freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom to violate the other provisions of the Constitution. If it did then I could start a religion that required me to own a slave, and the government wouldn't be able to prevent it.

Last edited by Cirbryn; 06-04-2008 at 05:14 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 12:55 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 6,676,384 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
And what did your God tell you about rendering unto Caesar that which is Caesar's?



Why should it kick out all the Christians when it's just a small minority that want to violate the Constitution like that?



I didn't say the government was encouraging it. I'm saying when they wear the uniform of the US armed forces they are acting as representatives of the US government. They can't promote a religion under those circumstances.



No one's suggesting they can't worship as they please on their own time. But freedom of religion doesn't mean freedom to violate the other provisions of the Constitution. If it did then I could start a religion that required me to own a slave, and the government wouldn't be able to prevent it.

Jesus did say render unto Caesar, and from that time the Jews gave money owed to Caesar, and they also gave what they owed to God. Men in uniform can work for President Bush, and they can work for God at the sametime.

And tell me, what part of the Constitution tells our service men that he must refrain from telling people about God? PLEASE QUOTE THAT PART FOR ME.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,917 posts, read 11,743,767 times
Reputation: 5307
I can see how Muslims in Iraq could be offended by someone telling them that their religion is wrong and that they should accept the religion that most of the citizens share in the nation that attacked their country. Muslims in general are pretty hostile to anyone criticizing their beliefs. In many Muslim nations Christian missionaries are not even allowed to enter their country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Lambs Book of Life
1,592 posts, read 3,137,412 times
Reputation: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I didn't say it was the majority, but one is too many.
These people need to leave the military, they have mental defects.
Are they as bad as hateful and bitter defects?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top