U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2008, 10:46 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,290,067 times
Reputation: 2880

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Back in 1942 the law in Germany was to hand over Jews to the German authorities. Many Christians broke that law and hid them instead. Now, are you telling me they should of followed that law? Sometimes to save life, you have to break the law of the land. Jesus tells us, (we are to go into all the world and preach the Gospel). Now, should I tell God that His command is of little importance, because I'm an American soldier, and my first responsibility is to my earthly government and Gods laws must come second. Jesus said, render unto Ceasars, that which is Ceasars, and unto God that which is Gods. Jesus did not say render unto Ceasars that which is Ceasars, and forget about God until your out of uniform. It is you who tortures the Scriptures. When human government out ranks Gods command, it should be obvious those who agree to that don't respect or care much for God. Do you really think that mans Laws are more important than Gods commands?
Are you saying that Christians shouldn't be allowed into the military? Because if they hold themselves above the chain of command, they could and should be drummed out by dishonorable discharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2008, 10:57 AM
 
244 posts, read 365,435 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Back in 1942 the law in Germany was to hand over Jews to the German authorities. Many Christians broke that law and hid them instead. Now, are you telling me they should of followed that law?
No, presumably that would have directly conflicted with Jesus' teachings. But nothing in those teachings requires servicemen to proselytize in uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34
Jesus tells us, (we are to go into all the world and preach the Gospel). Now, should I tell God that His command is of little importance, because I'm an American soldier, and my first responsibility is to my earthly government and Gods laws must come second.
If someone feels commanded to proselytize then she can do so when not in uniform. That would uphold both Jesus' directive to spread the Gospel and his directive to follow temporal authority. You, on the other hand, would rather ignore the latter by following your own tortured interpretation of the former. The result of such hubris is greater resentment of both Christians and Americans among the people you claim to want to influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 02:35 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 9,890,518 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
No, presumably that would have directly conflicted with Jesus' teachings. But nothing in those teachings requires servicemen to proselytize in uniform.



If someone feels commanded to proselytize then she can do so when not in uniform. That would uphold both Jesus' directive to spread the Gospel and his directive to follow temporal authority. You, on the other hand, would rather ignore the latter by following your own tortured interpretation of the former. The result of such hubris is greater resentment of both Christians and Americans among the people you claim to want to influence.
The service men are telling people about Christ because it is what Jesus asks us to do, and it is because it is the desire of the soldiers hearts. Jesus asked the question. The fields are white unto harvest, but where are the reapers? Some how you got this idea that Christians must be second class citizens because they where a uniform. There is no tortured interpretation here, we as Christian have a right to speak of our God. And I believe if you were in charge I have no doubt that freedom would be taken away. Sorry, but the last time I looked, we still had that freedom reguardless of how you would like that changed. And if what they were doing was really breaking the law, I'm sure we would see a long line of court marshalls. I'm not expecting great numbers of people to come to Christ because they are passing out coins, I'm looking for the few. Jesus tells us not to be surprised if the world hates you, because Jesus tells us they hated Him first. The Bible tells us, most of the world is headed for Hell, because most of the world has rejected the only person who can save them. There are only two positions you can take in this world towards Christ. You will either be pro Christ, or anti Christ. Jesus said, that if you are luke warm, He will spit you out of His mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,835,555 times
Reputation: 11318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
If someone feels commanded to proselytize then she can do so when not in uniform. That would uphold both Jesus' directive to spread the Gospel and his directive to follow temporal authority. You, on the other hand, would rather ignore the latter by following your own tortured interpretation of the former. The result of such hubris is greater resentment of both Christians and Americans among the people you claim to want to influence.
I believe there should be no protection by the government for the result of this proselytizing, either. You get hurt, tough. You get arrested, spend some time in Iraqi jail. That should cure you of this deep-seated need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,801,404 times
Reputation: 5454
Campbell34,
When someone joins the military they take on certain responsibilities and need to follow orders. Trying to convert people to Christianity in a muslim nation in the middle of a war is going to anger many citizens and quite possibly make life more dangerous for our military personnel. If you haven't noticed, people in Iraq kill each other over their religious beliefs and it's something they take very seriously. Military life has restrictions that are not found in civilian life and that's because it's critical, especially in wartime, that soldiers follow orders and just do their job. They can do all the converting they want to when they come home but not in Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,882 posts, read 31,773,106 times
Reputation: 12629
Campbell, you need to brush up on how radical Muslims think. Converting a Muslim to Christianity is putting his life in danger. It's just a stupid thing to do.

Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 AM
 
7,654 posts, read 9,890,518 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Campbell34,
When someone joins the military they take on certain responsibilities and need to follow orders. Trying to convert people to Christianity in a muslim nation in the middle of a war is going to anger many citizens and quite possibly make life more dangerous for our military personnel. If you haven't noticed, people in Iraq kill each other over their religious beliefs and it's something they take very seriously. Military life has restrictions that are not found in civilian life and that's because it's critical, especially in wartime, that soldiers follow orders and just do their job. They can do all the converting they want to when they come home but not in Iraq.
Way back in 1969 when I was in navy boot camp I volunteered to be the religious petty offcer, and there was no problem back then with my Christian witness. There were no restrictions about my belief in God, and I follow all orders given. And no one ever suggested that I should keep my mouth shut. So I have no idea why you think we Christians need to do this. And if there was ever a place that needed the light of Christ, it is Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 09:01 AM
 
7,654 posts, read 9,890,518 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Campbell, you need to brush up on how radical Muslims think. Converting a Muslim to Christianity is putting his life in danger. It's just a stupid thing to do.

Convert from Islam to Christianity killed
I don't need to brush up on anything, I know what it means to be a Muslim and convert to Christianity. Yet converting to Christianity sounds stupid to you because you think this life is all there is. I'm here to tell you that this life is just a vapor. It is the life to come that is eternal. And if you are a Muslim or anyone else, and you die without Christ, you will be lost for all eternity. God tells us not to fear them that can destroy the body, but rather fear Him that can destroy both body and soul in Hell. It is the person who does not give their life to Christ who is really putting his life in danger. Faith in Christ is not a game, it is the only way to eternal life. And it's the only smart thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,290,067 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Way back in 1969 when I was in navy boot camp I volunteered to be the religious petty offcer, and there was no problem back then with my Christian witness. There were no restrictions about my belief in God, and I follow all orders given. And no one ever suggested that I should keep my mouth shut. So I have no idea why you think we Christians need to do this. And if there was ever a place that needed the light of Christ, it is Iraq.
Yes, you were the religious petty officer, so it was your job no?
Big difference from being a marine on guard patrol in an unfriendly occuppied country isnt it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,801,404 times
Reputation: 5454
Campbell34 wrote:
Quote:
And no one ever suggested that I should keep my mouth shut. So I have no idea why you think we Christians need to do this. And if there was ever a place that needed the light of Christ, it is Iraq.
As I mentioned on my post, the reason is obvious, religious conflict has caused the death of unknown thousands of Iraqi citizens and trying to convert them to the religion of the occupying force will only make it more dangerous for our troops and the Iraqis who might consider converting. They believe in their religion just as strongly as you believe in yours and they consider this offensive and an attack on islam. We just don't need any more problems in Iraq, we've got more than we can handle already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top