U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 AM

7,654 posts, read 9,888,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Babylon (Iraq) did and does have many rivers and lakes compared to all the nations surrounding it. Lake Tharthar would certainly be considered an inland sea in those times, and it borders on a sea in the south.

The book you rely on has enough errors in it with out you jumping to huge conclusions to what it all means.
(Babylon is not Iraq.) Babylon is a city in Iraq. And lake Tharthar is I believe about 100 miles or more north of the ancient city of Babylon. And the Bible has no errors, and as you have demonstrated for me your assumptions are where the errors can be found. Ancient Babylon is not beyond the rivers of Ethiopia. Nor did Ancient Babylon have the ability to mount up to heaven, nor did the (city) of ancient Babylon dwell on many waters. The Bible tells us that the cities of Babylon will be destroyed in one hours time. Also the Bible describes this Babylon as a nation. Ancient Babylon was not a nation but a city. The fact is none of the prophecies that speak of Babylon in Jer. fit the ancient city. And that is why in the Book of Revelation it speaks of this end time Babylon as a place that makes the merchants of the earth wealthy. In fact, Revelation 17 speaks of this place as Mystery Babylon. So it is not something you can take at face value. The Bible is telling you that there is something different about this Babylon. To understand who Babylon is requires you to read the Old Testament prophecy found in Jer. 50 and 51. And it requires you to read the prophecy found in the New Testament in Revelation 18. When you put both prophecies together, you get the whole picture. And since Babylon is spoken of in the New Testament, you have to understand that the prophecy could not have occured until after the Book of Revelation was finished. And that prophecy could only happen around the time of the Great Tribulation, which still lays ahead in our future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 AM

30,879 posts, read 31,761,982 times
You say then Babylon was only a city, but now you think it is the entire county of the US....Quite a leap I must say. In any case I believe very little of what is written in the bible, so using it as proof of your theories is futile to me.

You say some things written in the bible cannot be taken at face value, yet on the other hand you use it as proof...I find that interesting. Who gets to pick and choose?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You say then Babylon was only a city, but now you think it is the entire county of the US....Quite a leap I must say. In any case I believe very little of what is written in the bible, so using it as proof of your theories is futile to me.

You say some things written in the bible cannot be taken at face value, yet on the other hand you use it as proof...I find that interesting. Who gets to pick and choose?
I say Babylon was only a city because Ancient Babylon was only a city. Yet in the Biblical description found in Jer. 50:12 , described Babylon as a nation. It is the (Bible who makes the leap, not me). I say you cannot take Ancient Babylon the city at face value, because it does not fit the Biblical description, and it is the Bible who speaks of this Babylon as Mystery Babylon. Again, it is the Bible that qualifies a difference in the Babylons, in both description, and in the name itself. And I did not say something in the Bible. I said Babylon.
And the reason Christians knew the Jewish people would return to the land of Israel back in the 1600s was because they believed the Bible was true. I have no doubt that you would of told those Christians that their theories were unfounded as well. Yet time has proven they were were correct. Those who do not want to believe in Biblical truth, can believe whatever they want, I just believe in a Book with a proven tract record, and in a God that will secure my future.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Campbell34 Let me try to explain it to you again: each Christian denomination believes that their interpretation of God's word is the right interpretation; which makes them believe that everyone who does not belong to their denomination and / or does not believe what they believe is ignorant.
As much as you, Campbell34, believe that your belief is right, other Christians believe the exact same things even when they do not believe what you believe.
Differences in denomination will occure, and I have no problem with this. The bottom line is you love for Christ. In the end, God will not be looking at how smart or how ignorant a man is. He will be looking at how much a man really loved Him. It was never about differences in denominations, it is about a persons sincere love for God. And that will require a measureing stick that only God can use.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,803,832 times
Originally Posted by Campbell34
Quote:
Differences in denomination will occure, and I have no problem with this.
When denominations obviously contradict each other it can only mean that both cannot be true; you either love God or you only love His word (= scripture/legislature).
So either 1 of the contradicting denominations is wrong or both of them are wrong.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34When denominations obviously contradict each other it can only mean that both cannot be true; you either love God or you only love His word (= scripture/legislature).
So either 1 of the contradicting denominations is wrong or both of them are wrong.
I never found a Christian that had all the answers, or knew all the truth. Yet our faith is centered on our love of Christ. If you love God you will love His Word, that is not to say we all fully understand it. God gives us enought information to light the way of salvation. Yet the Bible is a Book that is filled with mystery. Christ knows His people, and He knows which of us love Him. The Bible states we see through a glass darkley, but then face to face we will know Him as we are known. Somethings we will just have to wait for. And having a greater knowledge of God will come in Gods time. And that will be either in this life, or the life to come.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I never found a Christian that had all the answers, or knew all the truth.
Yet there are Christians who have no problem condemning others and go to war over the differences in the interpretations.
Obviously these types of Christians love their interpretation of the Bible more than they love God.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:43 PM

30,879 posts, read 31,761,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I never found a Christian that had all the answers, or knew all the truth. Yet our faith is centered on our love of Christ. If you love God you will love His Word, that is not to say we all fully understand it. God gives us enought information to light the way of salvation. Yet the Bible is a Book that is filled with mystery. Christ knows His people, and He knows which of us love Him. The Bible states we see through a glass darkley, but then face to face we will know Him as we are known. Somethings we will just have to wait for. And having a greater knowledge of God will come in Gods time. And that will be either in this life, or the life to come.
Yet you make that claim, and your mind is closed to the fact that what you believe to be truth may indeed be false.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34Yet there are Christians who have no problem condemning others and go to war over the differences in the interpretations.
Obviously these types of Christians love their interpretation of the Bible more than they love God.
God does not allow Christians to go to war over interpretations. He does allow Christians to defend themselves. The question is, are all types of Christians really Christian? Only God knows for sure.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
God does not allow Christians to go to war over interpretations.
Nope.
God does not interfere, because interfering would violate man's free will.
There have been many wars waged by Christians over the interpretation of the Bible.
Claiming that these Christians are not real Christians is saying that Christians make no mistakes, which obviously is not the case.
Christians like the rest of the human race is capable of making (huge) mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam