U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,357,562 times

Advertisements

yup, nothing really offends me, but whining does annoy me. that's what this is, whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by jmarquise So now you're claiming not to be oversensitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 12:06 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,487,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
not sure why you get that feeling. I am not a christian fella.
Well, that I didn't know

I believe over sensitiveness and intolerance are a flaw that is present in every culture and religion, but I think that here in the west, the intolerance that is present in muslim societies is exaggerated, we only get to know the bad things about them, and we tend to believe that all muslim countries are the same, but there are really big differences among them, some countries are more tolerant than others.

we have pretty intolerant and oversensitive people in our societies too, don't you think? now I would love to visit several muslim countries and see for myself if all those tales are true or not.

regards

Old 07-01-2008, 12:13 PM

the middle east has some of the friendliest people. we do create a bad perception of them in the US and that is sad. I don't think they are evil, I just think that they are way too oversensitive and protected in most countries. doesn't mean they are evil, it means that we are WAY too PC. you can't please everyone, so I believe in pleasing no one. if you open the door to muslim foot baths in public airports, then you open the door to jesus, buddha, and whatever else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Well, that I didn't know

I believe over sensitiveness and intolerance are a flaw that is present in every culture and religion, but I think that here in the west, the intolerance that is present in muslim societies is exaggerated, we only get to know the bad things about them, and we tend to believe that all muslim countries are the same, but there are really big differences among them, some countries are more tolerant than others.

we have pretty intolerant and oversensitive people in our societies too, don't you think? now I would love to visit several muslim countries and see for myself if all those tales are true or not.

regards

Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,208,349 times
Quote:
no, it's pretty self explanatory. I thought it was laid out in layman's terms. guess not. google the phrase and read all the articles. you can't breath without a muslim getting offended. I want someone to tell me why they are so sensitive.
Per the article you posted, 1 person was "concerned"... so yes it is self explanatory that the article you posted is nothing but yellow journalism. Glad we could agree and I'll accept your apology.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 PM

I guess you missed the part where I said:
Quote:
do a search on yahoo for the words "muslims outraged." then do one for "christians outraged." got almost 30,000 hits for muslims
the article was the most recent example of a trend. don't expect an apology from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Per the article you posted, 1 person was "concerned"... so yes it is self explanatory that the article you posted is nothing but yellow journalism. Glad we could agree and I'll accept your apology.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,290,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by camping! That is probably because she would no wanted to risk to be blown up in an abortion clinic.

Originally Posted by jmarquiseBoobs in church.
Need I say more?

Tricky, what you don't know about the United States would fill a library. When has an abortion clinic been bombed last? How many years ago was it? Furthermore, bombing abortion clinics are not law, nor is it accepted practice in any church or religion that I know of. It is a horrible act of terrorism by nutjobs.
On the other hand, a man stoning his daughter to death because she was alone with a man not related to her (doesn't matter if anything sexual happened or not) would be considered justifiable under Sharia laws and customs.
Find something else that would be equevalant.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
On the other hand, a man stoning his daughter to death because she was alone with a man not related to her (doesn't matter if anything sexual happened or not) would be considered justifiable under Sharia laws and customs.
Find something else that would be equevalant.
what is your sources that a man stonning his daugther to death is justifiable under shariah laws and customs ?

becuase i'm as an arab muslim , don't believe in what you claims about islam or about it's custom

Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,208,349 times
Quote:
I guess you missed the part where I said:

the article was the most recent example of a trend. don't expect an apology from me.

But thats the point. The article was NOT the most recent example of a trend.

Apology accepted.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM

2,441 posts, read 5,371,873 times
Gonna stir the pot here, I know... but what rings the most to me was this:

The Pope said something along the lines that Muslims were violent people (or violent religion). And what happened?

They became violent to protest it.

That's as unexplanatory as a murderer killing someone because he was mad at being called a murderer!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,290,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
what is your sources that a man stonning his daugther to death is justifiable under shariah laws and customs ?

becuase i'm as an arab muslim , don't believe in what you claims about islam or about it's custom

I am confused, for we have discussed this before and I do come away understanding your point of view. But then something happens such as recently when a woman was killed for refusing to wear a headscarf or a mans wife was killed because she was black and nonmuslim. In both cases the woman suffered, and in both cases the murderers defended their actions by claiming Islamic custom or tradition. Perhaps its an Afghani/Pakistani traditions that are not reflective of Arab culture? But then you hear of things from Iran........I honestly am not trying to paint a bad picture of Islam. In fact, due in large part to you I am much more understanding of Muslims then I used to be --- I still have a hard time understanding this type of dichotomy that exists in Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or