U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
dealing with muslims is like walking on eggshells sometimes and that's a bit unfair. cater to them, but don't cater to anyone else. seriously. foot baths in airports? lawsuits for people getting fired because they refused to do their job for religious reasons? I couldn't get away with that. in the real world, you don't do your job, you get fired. in the PC world, if you don't do your job, you have a lawsuit.
Not true... I'm given "special considerations" for being Jewish, like automatically being approved for religious holidays off. And if I chose to wear a yarmulke (if I were a man), they could not force me to remove it for any reason - or I would be the one who's allowed to file a lawsuit. You just don't hear of accommodations for most religions, because they simply do not get in the way of work. Christians are basically catered to by default, since most people get Sundays off, Christmas, Easter, etc. So they don't HAVE to request special treatment, since it's already given to them in this country. Get it?

Now if somebody is simply not doing their job & using religion as an excuse, that's another story... and is not unique to any one religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,206,015 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
dealing with muslims is like walking on eggshells sometimes and that's a bit unfair.
I guess I don't deal with them enough to know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
cater to them, but don't cater to anyone else.
Nothing in the EEOC is directed specifically at muslims.

Religious Discrimination - What Supervisors Need to Know - Diversity and Equal Opportunity Office - USF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
foot baths in airports?
as long as they don't use public funds.. I'm cool with it. Also as long as they let everyone use the facility.. I'm cool with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
lawsuits for people getting fired because they refused to do their job for religious reasons?
Well if a reasonable accomodation was not attempted to be found.. then yes.. there is a lawsuit.. It isn't just for muslims though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I couldn't get away with that.
Sure you could..

Filing a Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
in the real world, you don't do your job, you get fired.
No.. thats in your world. In the real world an employer needs to provide accomodation without having to provide undue hardship on themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,353,280 times
Reputation: 835
I am not a christian. employers give employees days off for religious reasons. I don't really understand your point about easter, it falls on a sunday. refusing to pick someone up in your cab because they are carrying alcohol? it's a cab driver for crying out loud. do your job or don't do it. women working in a factory refusing to wear uniforms because they were too revealing? you can't wear loose clothing around heavy equipment, that's a whole other lawsuit! most people have sundays off? where? most people get saturday and sunday as their weekend. but business goes on sundays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not true... I'm given "special considerations" for being Jewish, like automatically being approved for religious holidays off. And if I chose to wear a yarmulke (if I were a man), they could not force me to remove it for any reason - or I would be the one who's allowed to file a lawsuit. You just don't hear of accommodations for most religions, because they simply do not get in the way of work. Christians are basically catered to by default, since most people get Sundays off, Christmas, Easter, etc. So they don't HAVE to request special treatment, since it's already given to them in this country. Get it?

Now if somebody is simply not doing their job & using religion as an excuse, that's another story... and is not unique to any one religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,353,280 times
Reputation: 835
you think they didn't use tax payer money to put foot baths in airports? how can you accommodate someone who simply refuses to do their job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I guess I don't deal with them enough to know..



Nothing in the EEOC is directed specifically at muslims.

Religious Discrimination - What Supervisors Need to Know - Diversity and Equal Opportunity Office - USF



as long as they don't use public funds.. I'm cool with it. Also as long as they let everyone use the facility.. I'm cool with it.



Well if a reasonable accomodation was not attempted to be found.. then yes.. there is a lawsuit.. It isn't just for muslims though.



Sure you could..

Filing a Charge



No.. thats in your world. In the real world an employer needs to provide accomodation without having to provide undue hardship on themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Btw, I've worked with & gone to school with many Muslims, and have NEVER felt like I "had to walk on eggshells" - nor did they constantly request special accommodations, or make anyone feel uncomfortable. The only time I even noticed was during Ramadan, when a Muslim classmate would skip out for a minute at sundown to eat... and that was only if the instructor didn't time the break well, otherwise he'd wait until then. Sorry, but I just don't see what you're all complaining about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,353,280 times
Reputation: 835
the vast majority of them are great people. I didn't say this was the majority, but it seems like whenever someone is complaining about something absurd, and it's a religious group, you know the religion before you see the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Btw, I've worked with & gone to school with many Muslims, and have NEVER felt like I "had to walk on eggshells" - nor did they constantly request special accommodations, or make anyone feel uncomfortable. The only time I even noticed was during Ramadan, when a Muslim classmate would skip out for a minute at sundown to eat... and that was only if the instructor didn't time the break well, otherwise he'd wait until then. Sorry, but I just don't see what you're all complaining about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:28 PM
 
32,427 posts, read 17,761,797 times
Reputation: 35032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
are you trying to say that there isn't a bias when it comes to muslims? give me an example of a religion that whines and complains more than they do.
I would say you carry the bias. Have you typed in other search parameters? Sounds like you believed in your mind muslims are more outraged before you searched, and are trying to build a case against muslims based on your google search. Most google searches record hits on both words.

I could type in "idiot christian guy" and "idiot muslim guy", and the number of hits is not going to prove there are more of one or the other. Only that the search has found more of those certain words on the internet.

The truth is many people complain, whine, or are outraged, but vocalize offline, face to face, and therefore you cannot build a case that more muslims are outraged than christians simply because of "hits" on a google search.

BTW, I just googled "idiot muslim guy" vs "idiot christian guy" and guess who had the most hits?
DOH! Sorry, according to jmarq's reasoning, there are more idiot christian guys, and simple math and google search proves it. That is.... if you believe a google search and the number of hits = truth. *which it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I am not a christian. employers give employees days off for religious reasons. I don't really understand your point about easter, it falls on a sunday.
The library where I used to work was open on Sundays, and we automatically got Easter off... and if a Christian requested never to be scheduled on Sundays, they were given Saturdays instead. I didn't say you were a Christian, btw - was just making a point about how ALL religions are accommodated to some degree. And if you were a Christian, you'd have the same rights as a Muslim to request such things.

Quote:
refusing to pick someone up in your cab because they are carrying alcohol? it's a cab driver for crying out loud. do your job or don't do it. women working in a factory refusing to wear uniforms because they were too revealing? you can't wear loose clothing around heavy equipment, that's a whole other lawsuit! most people have sundays off? where? most people get saturday and sunday as their weekend. but business goes on sundays.
Hence the reason I said MOST people... the traditional business work week in the U.S. is M-F, and only certain types of jobs require weekend work (like my own). But if I ever said "Sorry, I can't work on Saturday because of Shabbat," there's no way my employers wouldn't allow that. So my point once again, Muslims don't receive special treatment over anyone, it's just more noticeable in their case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,802,922 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by jmarquise
Quote:
the vast majority of them are great people.
So instead of Muslims you are now narrowing it down to just fanatical Muslims?

Besidez, here in Holland everyone whines.
Especially about taxes and the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I would say you carry the bias. Have you typed in other search parameters? Sounds like you believed in your mind muslims are more outraged before you searched, and are trying to build a case against muslims based on your google search. Most google searches record hits on both words.

I could type in "idiot christian guy" and "idiot muslim guy", and the number of hits is not going to prove there are more of one or the other. Only that the search has found more of those certain words on the internet.

The truth is many people complain, whine, or are outraged, but vocalize offline, face to face, and therefore you cannot build a case that more muslims are outraged than christians simply because of "hits" on a google search.
As somebody who conducts searches for a living, I can say you are right on. I won't even go into the way to conduct an accurate search, but I can say that typing Outraged Muslims is not it! At the very least, you should use quotations and Boolean operators, or the results are completely useless... they pretty much are anyway, if you're using Google to conduct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top