Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:39 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you think they didn't use tax payer money to put foot baths in airports?
KC said they didn't.. I believe em' until someone tells me different.

Quote:
how can you accommodate someone who simply refuses to do their job
Thats not for me to decide. Thats for the company to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
you think they didn't use tax payer money to put foot baths in airports? how can you accommodate someone who simply refuses to do their job?
Can you give us some real examples with sources? I just don't see what you're saying, since I've never encountered somebody who flat-out didn't do their job for religious reasons. As for not allowing alcohol in cabs, that is completely within their rights - just as many cabs don't allow food, drinks (non-alcoholic), sex or smoking in their cars. They belong to a union, but the cabs themselves are personally owned... just because you offer to pay them for a ride, doesn't mean they have to allow any behavior you choose to do. Whether it's for religious, personal, or health reasons, it really does not matter. Do you let people bring alcohol into YOUR car? I certainly don't, especially considering the strict open-bottle laws in California!

Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
The footbath thing fascinates me. I fly a few times each year and I have yet to see a footbath. Where are they? I DID see a bidet in a southern airport restroom once, though.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Yeaaaahhhh........ I've never seen a footbath either, and I fly about once every two months. I've even flown to the Middle-East (Turkey & Israel), and don't recall seeing any such thing. Methinks it's another media-created fantasy, which has succeeded in it's purpose - creating controversy & increasing hatred towards Muslims.

P.S. Isn't it ironic that a Jew is the one defending them? And yet people think we hate each other, which is so not the case - at least not in the U.S.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:06 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
we agree with you on all you said , we didnt prohibit to use a dogs for such a thing
but your question , what is wrong with dogs in islamic view ?
i was hope that people ask us this question before condemn islam for such a thing

muslims are encouraged to be kind to all animals. However, it is recommended that they not be kept inside the house as we need praying areas clean and if a dog has been walking around and drooling, then this voids the ablution we do before our prayers. It is permissable to touch and rub dogs but it has been scientifically proven thats dog's saliva contains millions of bad bacteria, hence we are discouraged from touching anywhere near their mouths. And we always have to wash our hands thoroughly after handling any animal

there are many hadiths that call for showing kindness to animals in general, including dogs, and the permissibility of keeping dogs for hunting, guarding, etc.

Adding to this is the hadith in which the Prophet (pbuh) told his companions a story concerning a man who found a dog in the desert panting and licking the dust due to thirst. The man went to a well, filled his shoes with water, and relieved the dog's thirst. Said the messenger of Allah (pbuh):
‘Allah appreciated this and forgave him all his sins.’ (Reported by al-Bukhari)
Look I understand about religious tradition. But please don't give me the dog mouth bacteria thing. Your forefathers had no idea about bacteria. Besides, you have just as many in your mouth. I am sure dogs were probably disgusting flea traps back then and probably mandated that you took a wide berth around them but you must know times have changed as far as dogs as pets and their cleaniness. Having said that, I am not saying you need to change your praying practices. I am Catholic and we have plenty of rituals of our own.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Look I understand about religious tradition. But please don't give me the dog mouth bacteria thing.
as a relegious tradition , it is dicourage in islam to have dogs in our house , but it isn't a sin.
beside , the praying in islam( salat) isn't acceptable if we touch dog mouth until to repeat our ablution as it's not acceptabe to pray in unclean(najasa) places or in unclean(najasa) clothes

so i can agree with you , the unclean of dogs isn't the original reason for muslims to deal with dogs by this way

the original reason for us is submitting to the commandment of our God and our prophet
anyway we completelt believe that our God and our prophit know the better for us .

Quote:
Your forefathers had no idea about bacteria. Besides, you have just as many in your mouth. I am sure dogs were probably disgusting flea traps back then and probably mandated that you took a wide berth around them but you must know times have changed as far as dogs as pets and their cleaniness.
really !!!
are dogs nowadays have clean saliva?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:59 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
So what else is new. A high school in Orange county had to change its sports teams name of "Crusaders" because Muslims found it offensive.lol

Old 07-03-2008, 07:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy
Quote:
So what else is new. A high school in Orange county had to change its sports teams name of "Crusaders" because Muslims found it offensive.lol
Are you claiming that American Christians don't find certain names offensive?
I mean on this board you can't even type certain words.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:30 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by CamaroGuyAre you claiming that American Christians don't find certain names offensive?
I mean on this board you can't even type certain words.
Yo, the Crusades happened nearly a thousand years ago. Some people need to get over some things.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy
Quote:
Yo, the Crusades happened nearly a thousand years ago. Some people need to get over some things.
Why?
I mean isn't this the American way?
If you see something you don't like you file a complaint and if the government agrees with you, you get your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam