U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:43 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Same argument really. I'm sure every muslim will tell you that Muhammad was also unique because of actions he did which the person finds inspiring or any Buddhist will say Gautama Buhhda was special for other reasons.
Inspiration is one thing. Living a truly sinless life is another.

Compare the actions of Jesus with anyone else and it is safe to say that He is in a class all His own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:50 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,109,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
Fair enough.

Yet Christ is unique. His teaching and his life of sacrifice intimates such.
There are several pagan saviors which supposedly existed though and many of them taught peace and prosperity, some were even killed, Osiris or Mythra for example which are supposed saviors which predate Jesus and taught a message of peace then were somehow killed or assainated because of an evil plot. Osiris, for example, was king in Egyptian mythos which taught how to civilize the people in various ways and ruled the land gently. After he had civilized Egypt he went to teach others the same lessons. When he got back to Egypt, Seth had colluded with 72 other conspirators and they put Osiris in a wooden box then nailed it shut where he died.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,533,758 times
Quote:
Inspiration is one thing. Living a truly sinless life is another.

Compare the actions of Jesus with anyone else and it is safe to say that He is in a class all His own.
Um again to you he might be but to many others it isn't and most certainly not when it comes to people who practice religions whose teachings are devoid of the idea of sin.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
There are several pagan saviors which supposedly existed though and many of them taught peace and prosperity, some were even killed, Osiris or Mythra for example which are supposed saviors which predate Jesus and taught a message of peace then were somehow killed or assainated because of an evil plot. Osiris, for example, was king in Egyptian mythos which taught how to civilize the people in various ways and ruled the land gently. After he had civilized Egypt he went to teach others the same lessons. When he got back to Egypt, Seth had colluded with 72 other conspirators and they put Osiris in a wooden box then nailed it shut where he died.
OK. But look at the impact of paganistic religion on the world today. It's influence, in comparison to the explicit teachings of Christ, have all but disappeared.

Is it possible that the teachings of Christ contain the most truth? In fact, that is exactly what He called Himself in John 14:6..."I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me." It is my understanding that the unmatched influence/impact of Christ on the world is an indication that His teaching is superior. How does one explain that Christ is the most influential person to ever live???

Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,533,758 times
Quote:
OK. But look at the impact of paganistic religion on the world today. It's influence, in comparison to the explicit teachings of Christ, have all but disappeared.

Is it possible that the teachings of Christ contain the most truth? In fact, that is exactly what He called Himself in John 14:6..."I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me." It is my understanding that the unmatched influence/impact of Christ on the world is an indication that His teaching is superior.
It's not a battle of popularity though, most people today think that french fries(or chips as how we refer to them here in England) originally came from France but the truth is that they are from Belgium. Truth is not determined by numbers I'm afraid.

Quote:
How does one explain that Christ is the most influential person to ever live???
History and good memes, there would be no religion without people who practice and spread it.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM

249 posts, read 494,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malath View Post
O.K

"What is the purpose of LIFE?"

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by being responsible."

Victor Frankl

Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Is it possible that the teachings of Christ contain the most truth? In fact, that is exactly what He called Himself in John 14:6..."I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me." It is my understanding that the unmatched influence/impact of Christ on the world is an indication that His teaching is superior. How does one explain that Christ is the most influential person to ever live???
Pagan religions are mostly dead religions today, but the ancient pagan religions, Egyptian paganism for example were the dominant religions in their regions for thousands of years. Egyptian paganism lasted for four thousand years and had a profound influence on the people of the land, during the time that it was the dominant religion. Jesus/Christianity seem to me to be the new most influential religion in the world, while in its era, the various paganisms were to the ancient world.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
It's not a battle of popularity though, most people today think that french fries(or chips as how we refer to them here in England) originally came from France but the truth is that they are from Belgium. Truth is not determined by numbers I'm afraid.

History and good memes, there would be no religion without people who practice and spread it.
I would assert that the explosion of Christianity around the world denotes that its doctrine is inherently superior. To argue otherwise is to maintain that a large portion of the world's population is not reasonable and simply following myth. To me that is a very arrogant claim....to discount the experience of such a vast amount of people that follow Christ across ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic lines.....dare I say, even folks with high intellectual capacities.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Pagan religions are mostly dead religions today, but the ancient pagan religions, Egyptian paganism for example were the dominant religions in their regions for thousands of years. Egyptian paganism lasted for four thousand years and had a profound influence on the people of the land, during the time that it was the dominant religion. Jesus/Christianity seem to me to be the new most influential religion in the world, while in its era, the various paganisms were to the ancient world.
Can the legacy of Egyptian paganism boast such positive influence over the world?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Can the legacy of Egyptian paganism boast such positive influence over the world?
I don't really see where Christianity has had such a positive influence over the world though. If you look at all the bloodshed and suffering its caused and causes today from the various inquisitions, Crusades, Salem Witch Trials, Constantine's spread of Christendom, the Protestant and Catholics battling in Ireland, suppression of science and reason, the Catholic missionaries in Africa telling the people not to use condoms etc. etc. The various paganisms may not be able to boast such a positive influence in the world, although I don't really see how any religion that has gotten into power or become dominant in the culture has had any prolific positive benefit for society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or