U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:16 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,828,311 times

Advertisements

ssdking99, I think your opening post shows you are very mature for someone your age and as an atheist this is a question that I've also asked on this forum myself. I'm glad that you think for yourself and are questioning things the way that you are. This is something you'll have to resolve in your own mind but I wanted to say that you've expressed yourself in a very intelligent manner and it's interesting to hear the viewpoint of someone from such a different culture living in American society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM

13,581 posts, read 21,760,160 times
Ssdking,I do not believe there is one right or one true religion..I believe that God is God, whether we call him that, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Jehovah, Allah, creator or Great Spirit..I believe you find godly people in all faiths and beliefs..It is not our job to decide who is or isn't worthy to spend eternity with God or to tear apart the faith that one has grown up with and learned to love and be at peace with..Each of us are a unique creation of His with unique talents and gifts.. He knows where we will do the most good for ourselves, our family, our neighbors and society in general..At your age I also questioned and was in turmoil about religion, I think almost everyone I know went through the questioning that you are experiencing now You come across as being very intelligent and I think you will figure it out..As for myself? I found peace with God, not religion, when I stopped doing what other well meaning, loving family and church members thought I should do..I just asked God to show me what He wanted me to know, do and follow..Best of luck to you

Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 PM

15,849 posts, read 30,442,331 times
My thoughts are that the many religions that are exist are mankinds way of explaining the natural world. Throughout history many things occur that are incomprehensible to mankind. Floods, droughts, earthquakes, famines, etc. To a primitive people often the only way to accept these events is to contribute them to a "higher power". Because of this, I believe that certain people who wished to control the masses have used this to manipulate the behavior of humanity for thousands of years.

By threatening the spectre of hell for those who do not comply or the promise of heaven for the compliant it is a perfect method for controlling the masses.

Now then, since you are a man of faith I will repeat what I have heard that makes sense to me in that regard.

There is only one God, but there are many paths which lead to Him.

If there is such an entity, I hardly think the lable that you place upon your belief system matters. I believe that what matters is how you choose to live your life.

As far as the whole Jesus issue. I do not believe any of it myself. I think it was a nice myth that someone made up to enslave as many people as possible to their way of thought. It is easy to use the guilt trip of sin to control people. Let's face it. It really works beautifully.

Young people your age question their beliefs and that is often a very good thing. Follow the path that seems right and true to you and you will do fine. Ultimately, it's what we all must do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-05-2008, 02:35 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,732,533 times
ssdking, I beleive you are on the right path. You are searching with an open mind. Follow your heart. My love and prayers go with you.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 435 times
I am a christian and I was told very early in life that the Bible is the word of God. As an adult I started reading the Bible and some of the promises in it seemed preposterous so I began trying to either prove or disprove it. I began tithing according to Malachi Chapter 3, verses 8,9 & 10 and it works. I read where someone fasted 40 days and nights without eating anything so that became my next goal. The only way to know for certain is to do it. I read about salvation in Romans Chapter 10, Verses 8, 9, & 10 and I discovered that everything written in the Bible is true. In fact, God promises that if anything in the Bible doesn't come true that it is the end of heaven and earth. Can the same be said for any other religious book? Ask God to reveal himself to you an he will. The Word of God is positive and says "Doubt not, be not faithless but believing." Please go to u-tube and watch "Muslim NDEs" and discover the future of a soul who dies without JESUS, ISA or YESHUA. Heaven or Hell; THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM

4,916 posts, read 3,992,555 times
ssdking99, you have certainly brought up a most interesting (and age old) philosophical question. We have to remember that no single religion, no single philosophy and no single school of thought has a monopoly n morality. Though many will claim otherwise, it has been shown over and over again that morally upright people come from all religious and non religious paths.
As a non-theist, a former Christian (Christianity did not work for me so I left) I adhere to the basic rights of all humans, freedom of choice, life, speech, persuit of happness etc. I hold to the sanctity of life, all life, and believe that we as humans working together will save oursovlves from the world's problems. Outr focus, I believe, is THIS LIFE, not the next, and as you mentioned in your original post, we must maintain a higher moral compass to bring about peaceful win-win situations for everyone.
Odd that many people choose a win-lose path, and many are not even aware of the win-win concept. If religious thinking has contributed to this, then that is sad. But if we as humans, guided by our moral compass, put our collective intellegence together, work together, we can solv many problems. And that solution would never be, as you mentioned, crusades or 9/11, but instead, look at programs and projects worldwide that are bringing relief from suffering to our fellow man, then that is where our energy would lie. And anyone of any religion, be it Islam, Christianity, Judaeism, Buddhism, New Age, pagan can be a part of this. It transcends legalism and religious doctrine and answers the basic question of how to avoid those things which victimize ourselves and each other, not because a religion commands it, but because humanity needs it.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM

39,472 posts, read 11,004,811 times
That was a good post. I pretty much endorse the posts and the musing of the OP.

There is a case for making the best we can of this life and letting the next one (if there is one) look after itself.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:25 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,639,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdking99 View Post
So far the only facts i have been able
to mentally "grasp" are a few simple ones
they recur in several religions.
Your grasp is correct; they are all contradictory, all invented, and all unworthy of serious consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam