Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:56 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times

Advertisements

'Nuff said.

Stuff about islam if you are so inclined:

The Council on American-Islamic Relations - CAIR: Learn about Islam

Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And READ this book to get a better understanding of Islam:

Amazon.com: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam, 2nd Edition (Complete Idiot's Guide to): Books: Yahiya Emerick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
One of my degrees is in theology, I know whereof I speak.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
And many of my family members are Muslim, I also know whereof I speak.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
One of my degrees is in theology, I know whereof I speak.

And, your view of Islam is ??????????????????????????

Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
And READ this book to get a better understanding of Islam:
Read a book??? Who let you on the internet??? These arguments are all about quippy snippets, soundbytes, and Wikipedia references.

Seriously though. Good post. But in all my months of arguing with folks, I've found that eventually it all boils down to the fact that people need to sit down and educate themselves. Read books, newspapers, watch a wide array of news sources, etc. Too many people think that just because Wikipedia says it, it's true. Ain't always so.

But you are right: Islam is probably the most misunderstood religion in the US. But based on many conversations I've had around here, I'd say Catholicism is running a real close second.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But you are right: Islam is probably the most misunderstood religion in the US. But based on many conversations I've had around here, I'd say Catholicism is running a real close second.
I've been away from the Catholic Church for a long time but if you'd care to start another thread I'd be interested in hearing why you say this.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
(OP's message is that "Islam is misunderstood)

Stuff about islam if you are so inclined:

The Council on American-Islamic Relations - CAIR: Learn about Islam
WELL.... YEAH!! If you have tons and tons of memebrs of a religion on TV vowing to kill anyone of different religions, people in that religion killing their women in "honor killings", people of that religion vowing to destroy other nations, people of that same religion blowing little kids in a playground so they can have 70 virgins.... YES, people will "misunderstand" it.

Ps. CAIR is a very anti-American organization funded by the Saudi Sharia Muslims... you know the extremist folk who wnat to KILL AMERICANS AND JEWS?? CAIR is so bad, even LIBERALS area attacking it and they even created a website to create public awareness about this terrorist group: *Anti-CAIR* Defending America from The Council on American-Islamic Relations

Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM

124 posts, read 396,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
WELL.... YEAH!! If you have tons and tons of memebrs of a religion on TV vowing to kill anyone of different religions, people in that religion killing their women in "honor killings", people of that religion vowing to destroy other nations, people of that same religion blowing little kids in a playground so they can have 70 virgins.... YES, people will "misunderstand" it.

Ps. CAIR is a very anti-American organization funded by the Saudi Sharia Muslims... you know the extremist folk who wnat to KILL AMERICANS AND JEWS?? CAIR is so bad, even LIBERALS area attacking it and they even created a website to create public awareness about this terrorist group: *Anti-CAIR* Defending America from The Council on American-Islamic Relations
Well said. Also, I have no desire to understand it, just make it go away.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:55 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art R View Post
Difference is I am not out there killing anyone.
Yet.

What are you doing with that pistola, senor?

Old 06-27-2007, 01:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote: Islam is the most misunderstood religion in the world.

I have to agree - but I think the most tragic misunderstanding is made by certain followers of Islam, not those who are outside of it. I have "normal" Muslim friends and they always explain away that those people bombing and killing for their religion are not really sticking with the Quran. They try to distance themselves from the "fanatics".

Not to say that non-Muslims don't misunderstand Islam, I just think the results of their misunderstanding don't cost as many lives as the Muslims who misinterpret their own religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam