U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,289,229 times

Advertisements

Tonight I was watching the presidential debates between obama and mccain. Something occurred to me that I was hoping some of the regular muslims on this board could give me insight to.

If obama were elected president, I thought that this may be helpful with the US's relations with muslim countries as obama was raised a muslim for a time as a child, and certainly has muslim relatives. I thought that maybe this would be a sort of bridge between the worlds muslims and the usa.
But then I remembered that the qoran and muslim society do not look kindly on muslims who become christian. I was wondering if that would hold true for obama who was a child when he lived with his muslim step father and then became christian while living with his grandparents. Would the muslim world view obama favorably, or would they hold this religious change against him?

Thank you for giving me new perspectives on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 12:03 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Tonight I was watching the presidential debates between obama and mccain. Something occurred to me that I was hoping some of the regular muslims on this board could give me insight to.

If obama were elected president, I thought that this may be helpful with the US's relations with muslim countries as obama was raised a muslim for a time as a child, and certainly has muslim relatives. I thought that maybe this would be a sort of bridge between the worlds muslims and the usa.
But then I remembered that the qoran and muslim society do not look kindly on muslims who become christian. I was wondering if that would hold true for obama who was a child when he lived with his muslim step father and then became christian while living with his grandparents. Would the muslim world view obama favorably, or would they hold this religious change against him?

hi camping , thank you for your question
well , my personal insight is that it dosn't matter if he exmuslim or christian , this isn't the point of enmity between muslims and USA

as long as USA support and fight our countries (arabs and muslims countries) you will find kind of enmity for USA .
but this enmity is against USA politicaly (not for americans as a humans)

maybe this would be a sort of bridge between the worlds muslims and the usa.????
no it's not enough , we want positive steps toward the peace

Old 09-27-2008, 06:13 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,095,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

Obama (nor anyone else) is not a Christian simply because he says he is. How are you using that title when you ascribe it to him?

Preterist

Old 09-27-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
hi camping , thank you for your question
well , my personal insight is that it dosn't matter if he exmuslim or christian , this isn't the point of enmity between muslims and USA

as long as USA support and fight our countries (arabs and muslims countries) you will find kind of enmity for USA .
but this enmity is against USA politicaly (not for americans as a humans)

maybe this would be a sort of bridge between the worlds muslims and the usa.????
no it's not enough , we want positive steps toward the peace
Thank you elwill for answering my question. I know that there is a lot of reasons for the current ill will between the US and muslims today, and having a president who was raised (for a time) with a muslim and has muslim family members certainly wouldn't be a cure-all. I was just wondering if the muslim world would hold it against obama for not follwing islam even though he was exposed to it when he was a child.
I remember past discussions about sharia, where a person who repudiates islam for christianity (or really any other religion) can pay dearly for it -- sometimes even with their life. With that in mind, I was wondering how the muslim countries would view obama --- as a positive force for potential change in relations between muslims and the US or as an apostate that cannot be trusted?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Obama (nor anyone else) is not a Christian simply because he says he is. How are you using that title when you ascribe it to him?

Preterist

I do not know if obama is a true christian. I am merely calling him a christian because that is how he identifies himself and his immediate family.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:58 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,786,184 times
I'm not a Muslim and don't feel I'm qualified to answer your question regarding the religious side of the question, but I am a scholar of modern middle eastern history and would like to chime in on what Elwill mentioned -- politics and peace.

It is my opinion that Obama would be seen in a much better light than McCain (with a caveat), which is essentially an extension of the Bush administration in all things ideology. In speaking with others, I get the impression that many feel that McCain could be worse for U.S. Foreign policy relations than was Bush.

On the other hand, to say that Obama is inherently different isn't true either. While he didn't vote for the War in Iraq and never supported it, his claims of support of Israel, like every other U.S. politician, leads me to believe that Arabs would in some ways see very little difference.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:24 PM

261 posts, read 1,401,417 times
According to the beliefs of most Muslims (there are many segments), they will look down more upon a "former-muslim" than one of another faith. They feel that this person betrayed Islam.
So I dont see the Muslim countries embracing Obama if he became president.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:42 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
According to the beliefs of most Muslims (there are many segments), they will look down more upon a "former-muslim" than one of another faith. They feel that this person betrayed Islam.
So I dont see the Muslim countries embracing Obama if he became president.

we will embrace obama depending on his action , not depending on his faith
it dosn't matter if he apostate or not
the situation is more simple than your imagination
we judge on the people in the political world by thier actions not by thier faith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam