U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,308,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Or at the very least...were his stones removed?
Tee hee hee...good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM

307 posts, read 441,601 times
The very act of stoning another human being until they die is an act of barbarism. Sharia law is brutal, backward, and is weighed heavily against the poor women who have to live under it.

And what sort of 'men' pick up these rocks and hurl them at a woman's head in the sand?

Disgusting and dehumanising, and it shows.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,308,136 times
I would much rather die from lethal injection than being stoned to death...good grief, what a mess that must be.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,852,306 times
Stoning people to death is barbaric, uncivilized and has no place in the modern world. The woman who was stoned to death didn't kill anyone, molest a child or commit any crime that a western nation would even charge her for. She was killed for a consensual sexual act. There is nothing that can be said by anyone in defense of this atrocity that has any credibility. Elwill responded that the woman stated that she wanted to be punished and my only conclusion to such a statement was that this unfortunate woman made a mistake that countless millions of people have made all over the world but she was so brainwashed by her religious upbringing that that she felt compelled to give up her life.
The link stated that 50 men were gathered around a helpless woman who was buried up to her neck and then they threw stones at her until she was dead. I can't even conceive of such an act of cruelty. My own personal sense of right and wrong tells me this is murder and the fifty cowards who committed this act should have been shot dead before they could carry out their barbaric actions. Islam is promoting a culture of fear and intimidation, especially towards women, and as long as these practices continue all I can say is that I have no respect for this religion and I believe mankind should have left this kind of behavior in the dark ages.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM

307 posts, read 441,601 times
We cannot be even certain that this poor woman ever said she wanted to be stoned to death. Not willingly, anyway. God knows what was done to make her say this......if she ever did.

I wonder if elwill would be willing to pick up a rock and throw it at a defenceless human being. I don't think so. At least I hope not.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:33 PM

55,919 posts, read 74,960,375 times
interesting discussion. the america i was born in is not the one i now live in.
concept of punishment was ok when i was a kid. not now. public is veamently opposed to entire concept of punishment. an islamic stoning would definitely be a hard sell in this country.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,504,130 times
ya, a woman begging to be stoned to death does not sound realistic to me.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,504,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
so if you married you can commit your sin without fearing of punishment by stoning as long as you dosn't influence the society with such practice , but if you commit this sin openly , so that 4 witness saw you directly , hence you deserve the punishment if they witnessed against you in the court
So basically you say "it's only wrong if you get caught." E.G. it 'deserves punishment' only if there were four witnesses.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,312,029 times
This reminds me of the introduction to Sam Harris' The End of Faith:

The young man boards the bus as it leaves the terminal. He wears an overcoat. Beneath his overcoat, he is wearing a bomb. His pockets are filled with nails, ball bearings, and rat poison. The bus is crowded and headed for the heart of the city.

The young man takes his seat beside a middle-aged couple. He will wait for the bus to reach its next stop. The couple at his side appears to be shopping for a new refrigerator. The woman has decided on a model, but her husband worries that it will be too expensive. He indicates another one in a brochure that lies open on her lap. The next stop comes into view. The bus doors swing. The woman observes that the model her husband has selected will not fit in the space underneath their cabinets. New passengers have taken the last remaining seats and begun gathering in the aisle. The bus is now full. The young man smiles.With the press of a button he destroys himself, the couple at his side, and twenty others on the bus. The nails, ball bearings, and rat poison ensure further casualties on the street and in the surrounding cars. All has gone according to plan.

The young mans parents soon learn of his fate. Although saddened to have lost a son, they feel tremendous pride at his accomplishment. They know that he has gone to heaven and prepared the way for them to follow. He has also sent his victims to hell for eternity. It is a double victory. The neighbors find the event a great cause for celebration and honor the young mans parents by giving them gifts of food and money.

These are the facts. This is all we know for certain about the young man. Is there anything else that we can infer about him on the basis of his behavior? Was he popular in school? Was he rich or was he poor? Was he of low or high intelligence? His actions leave no clue at all. Did he have a college education? Did he have a bright future as a mechanical engineer? His behavior is simply mute on questions of this sort, and hundreds like them. Why is it so easy, then, so trivially easy you-could-almost-bet-your-life-on-it easy to guess the young mans religion?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,045,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
so you think stoning is ok. you don't find it cruel and inhumane? there is no viable defense of this. I'm not being hateful. I'm simply telling you that trying to justify stoning hurts hurts the public perception of your religion.

again.. just my opinion.. if you want that to be what your religion stands for.. stone away.
i think that stonning is horrible , but we trust our God and we are sure that he know nature of humanity very well , so that his laws is perfect to bring peace to society

In the west, adultery has become so commonplace because of sexual freedoms - all the emphasis these days seems to be on finding sexual satisfaction; in Muslim societies, there is far less emphasis on sex - it is usually regarded as a weakness that can lead to all sorts of trouble. Family is far more important
the notion of a million unborn children per year being aborted, and single mothers, is abhorrent in Islam.

btw , you are wellcome with your openion , may be you more care with tough punishment for someone deserve it , but islam more care about society , islam care most to prohibit these behaviours which effect on society in the first place

i see it different culture , more effective laws , more peacefull society and more healthy society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or