Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:27 AM

69 posts, read 149,981 times

Advertisements

http://www.55a.net/firas/photo_lang/all_main_photo/82468Niqab10.jpg (broken link)
The New Symbol of Women’s Liberation
By Sara Bokker

I am an American woman who was born in the midst of America’s “Heartland.”I grew up, just like any other girl, being fixated with the glamour of life in “the big city.”Eventually, I moved to Florida and on to South Beach of Miami, a hotspot for those seeking the “glamorous life.”Naturally, I did what most average Western girls do.I focused on my appearance and appeal, basing my self-worth on how much attention I got from others.I worked out religiously and became a personal trainer, acquired an upscale waterfront residence, became a regular “exhibiting” beach-goer and was able to attain a “living-in-style” kind of life.
Why I Shed Bikini For Niqab (http://www.55a.net/firas/english/?page=show_det&id=305 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:31 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Can we see the before and after pics?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
Well, good luck to her....but it sounds to me like she shed her mind, not just her bikini.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:39 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I guess everyone is entitled to live their own lifestyle but I don't see what the appeal would be to a woman in this Darth Vader getup. It must be extremely uncomfortable and there's just a small opening around the eyes so they can see where they're going. If you lived in a hot climate the black cloth would make the heat unbearable. When I saw the title for this thread I couldn't imagine what it was going to be about. I'm with Troop, I'd like to see a shot with a bikini, afterall, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:50 AM

307 posts, read 479,398 times
Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath-water!

There is nothing wrong in wearing a pair of shorts. Where I live, people just don't walk down the street in bikini's. It's too cold.

Seriously, I find the niqab offensive. It is alien to our culture and has no right to be worn at all. We all communicate with our facial expressions. Warmth, humour, hostilty....a smile. This is lost when we are faced with a slit with two eyes peering out. This woman is indulging herself. In some Islamic countries the wearing of the niqab is compulsory, the poor women have no choice. It is not liberating, it is degrading and insulting, and does not please God.
Islamic feminist is an oxymoron.
Yes, I agree. This woman seems to have shed her brain along with her bikini.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:13 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
Well, her husband is a Muslim, you think this has anything to do with her sudden change of heart?
What exactly is she doing by joining Niqab, what exactly is she's trying to prove?
I have no clue who Sara is, i did some search for actresses, models, etc.. nothing came up, no pictures, no works, nothing? Every link i clicked lead me to the Article mentioned by OP, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:13 AM

609 posts, read 1,174,537 times
soo she became a muslim because she witnessed the global recognition of islam as being turned and used as a political tool (in a religious covering) to justify terrorist attacks and the killing of innocents.... wow.. good for her.

"I did what most average Western girls do.I focused on my appearance and appeal, basing my self-worth on how much attention I got from others"

of course!! call all western girls, unlike non western civilization, are only as deep as the makeup they wear!! they are shallow! stupid and "heathens!!" look. the fact that you care about your outer appearance cause just be you trying to make yourself look as good as you feel!oh yes! did i mention that im only happy when i "get attention". because you knwo its seflish and a "western" thing that you feel good when people love you and pay attention to you! the idea of feeling good because of this is bad!!! mohammed said so!!!! good thing shes completely unbiased and doesnt spout stereotypical anti-western, pro islam propaganda...

"The New Symbol of Women’s Liberation
By Sara Bokker"

please, if any of you ever doubted the creeping left wing medias move towards an anti-western, pro islam your doubts at ease. i realize that it was the women herself who wrote this and its her opinion, bu look how she uses the word "liberation"!!!!!! hahahahahaa islam and liberation..arent those two words an oxymoron?? kinda like islam and any of the following words; fairness, women rights, rights in general, moderation ect...

"infamous declaration of the “new crusade,”

why si this bs propaganda even allowed to be on the internet???? look some times to protect free speech, you have to limit it. just liek to protect other rights (security and safety) you sometimes ahve to sacrifice others. her article is so clearly biased and full of western hate and anti-american cheap shots that reading it makes me pissed.

i hate how she tried to tie in human rights and activism with islam, and suggests that all her action of activism were basically "what the koran is about". instead of being a normal human, who does good things because its the right thing to do, this disfunctional women must seperate herself from the action and saying

" my new-found self-fulfilling activism was nothing more than merely embracing a faith called Islam"

"Suddenly a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.I no longer spent all my time consumed with shopping, makeup, getting my hair done, and working out. Finally, I was free. "

Because self realization and personal development through thought and reasinging isnt enough!! only an oppressive faith like Islam can do that!! Instead of taking responsibility of her actions as a person, she has to seperate herself from the event and give credit to "god"

"Of all places, I found my Islam at the heart of what some call “the most scandalous place on earth,” which makes it all the more dear and special."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAH florida is one of the scandalous places on earth??!?!?! hahaha yeah those seniors really party it up!!!! i mean Las Vegas is way more conservative!! hahahah

"I find it to be a blatant hypocrisy when Western governments and so-called human rights groups rush to defend woman’s rights when some governments impose a certain dress code on women, yet such “freedom fighters” look the other way when women are being deprived of their rights, work, and education just because they choose to exercise their right to wear Niqab or Hijab.Today, women in Hijab or Niqab are being increasingly barred from work and education not only under totalitarian regimes such as in Tunisia,Morocco, and Egypt, but also in Western democracies such as France, Holland, and Britain."

I thought i couldnt get madder... well i just did!!! these "totalitarian regimes" she speaks about are still extremist, but slowely moving away in some aspects form thier super strict religious states to more western ones.. they are trying to give more rights, and trying to show that women dont have to be oppressed that way anymore! and she complains!!!

the reason she wears her hijab?? to 'please allah". ahah funny how the guys dont have to do this and only the women huh??? no its not oppressive at all!!!

anyways i wrote enough already in this super long rant!! waht do you think???!?!? am i too over the top or are some of these justified??????

Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 AM

609 posts, read 1,174,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath-water!

There is nothing wrong in wearing a pair of shorts. Where I live, people just don't walk down the street in bikini's. It's too cold.

Seriously, I find the niqab offensive. It is alien to our culture and has no right to be worn at all. We all communicate with our facial expressions. Warmth, humour, hostilty....a smile. This is lost when we are faced with a slit with two eyes peering out. This woman is indulging herself. In some Islamic countries the wearing of the niqab is compulsory, the poor women have no choice. It is not liberating, it is degrading and insulting, and does not please God.
Islamic feminist is an oxymoron.
Yes, I agree. This woman seems to have shed her brain along with her bikini.
thank you!!! awesome post!!! i mean its true! how can someone communicate with the huge tent on?>?? its not jsut about it being alien. its about it being the most oppressive thing ever,a nd yet is justified by men and women alike due to it "appeasing allah"!! they are so brainwashed they actually believe this crap!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:38 AM

307 posts, read 479,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
thank you!!! awesome post!!! i mean its true! how can someone communicate with the huge tent on?>?? its not jsut about it being alien. its about it being the most oppressive thing ever,a nd yet is justified by men and women alike due to it "appeasing allah"!! they are so brainwashed they actually believe this crap!!!
Well said, leangk!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:42 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,373 times
Lo! the guilty used to laugh at those who believed, (29)
And wink one to another when they passed them; (30)
And when they returned to their own folk, they returned jesting; (31)
And when they saw them they said: Lo! these have gone astray. (32)
Yet they were not sent as guardians over them. (33)
This day it is those who believe who have the laugh of disbelievers, (34)
On high couches, gazing. (35)
Are not the disbelievers paid for what they used to do? (36)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam