U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,387 times

Advertisements

God has 3 dress codes for women in Quran.

(1) The BEST garment is the garment of righteousness.
(2) Whenever you dress , cover your chest (bosoms).
(3) Lengthen your garment.

A good source to read about this:WOMEN'S DRESS CODE IN ISLAM | free-minds.org (http://free-minds.org/scarf - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:56 PM

69 posts, read 137,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I certainly support anyone who wants to wear hijab.
But if you wouldn't mind answering a question Souhilo1?
There seems to be a great disparity between what is considered proper hijab....some women wear long sleeved shirts/pants and a head scarf. Other women wear the flowing black cape and still others the burqa. Which is right?
The true Hijab for the muslim woman is covering at least all shis body except shis face and hands , and if she wants more to cover shis face and hands , that's good but it's not an obligatory for her. I know that some muslim scholars say that covering muslim face's and hands is an obligatory , but idon't agree with them , first because the scholars who say that isn't obligatory are more than who say the opposite, second because we know that many women wasn't covering their faces and hands at the time which prophet Mohammed (pbuh) lived, I did however find the following hadith concerning Asmaa "Aisha reported that Asmaa, the daughter of Abu Bakr (the bist freind of Mohamed), entered into the presence of the Messenger of Allaah wearing thin transparent clothing, So the Messenger of Allaah turned away from her saying : ‘O’ Asmaa, when a women reaches the age of menstruation, it is not allowed that any of her should be seen except this’ - and he pointed to his face and two hands." (Sahih, reported from Abu Dawud and Al-Bayhaqee.)

Old 11-21-2008, 12:28 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,663,044 times
What happens to a woman who refuses to adhere to this rule?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 AM

30,883 posts, read 31,776,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I think in fundamental Islam any male is allowed to beat her.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,646,551 times
yep white girl with a phd gone islamic complete with 11th century dress. shows up at the office dressed like that every day. makes perfect sense.
this is someone whom i could follow and rely on. find the true path of enlightenment.
tell me how many gals in bagdad wear a miniskirt and attend unitarian services? i mean if they do you could rely on their opinions right? just asking.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,663,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think in fundamental Islam any male is allowed to beat her.
What happens to a woman who refuses to adhere to this rule after the beating?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,095,437 times
Quote:
We need more outspoken supporters of real tolerance and universal women's rights like Ayaan Hirsi Ali. (read more) Radical Islam, which is growing and spreading across the world, does not honor women or uphold their rights. How many Americans are aware of the oppressive and abusive "dress patrol" monitoring the streets of some Islamic nations? In those places, you don't have the freedom to believe what you want, but rather are forced to become a Muslim or face cruel treatment to the point of death. For more insight, including video captured of women being beaten and arrested for not meeting the government's dress standards, watch the excellent new movie called, 'The Third Jihad'.
Thank you, Skyliner. I read Ali's book and was very enlightened. I don't believe that western women who become Muslims and live in free societies understand real Islam. Muslim men can take what they want when they want it. I does not matter what the woman is wearing. Such was the recent case of a 13-year-old Muslim girl who was raped and then stoned for it! What about the men? Nothing has been done about them as far as I know. As I understand it, men merely have to state that the woman enticed them and they are off the hook. And after all, they were just being men! Perhaps Allah will someday punish them by giving them only 69 virgins instead of 70!

Preterist

Old 11-21-2008, 09:02 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,801,404 times
I am also opposed to any sort of mandatory dress code although if someone wants to do this it's their right to do so. I don't think that this type of clothing is even practical. We see women in news reports who are covered from head to toe in black clothing when it's 120 degrees. I also don't understand the concept that women are somehow protected by basically hiding behind a mask which is essentially what they're doing. My personal feeling is that islam promotes some very outdated (like about 500 years) and misguided attitudes regarding human sexuality. I think it's ridiculous to suggest that a young woman who wants to appear feminine and attractive is somehow degrading herself or is impure. That's complete nonsense and yet there is a great pressure in most islamic societies to conform to ancient traditions. What in the world is wrong with these muslim men who are offended if they walk down the street and see a woman's face? Afterall, it's the men who are in control in the world of islam and they are perpetuating this backwards looking way of life.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,290,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souhilo1 View Post
The true Hijab for the muslim woman is covering at least all shis body except shis face and hands , and if she wants more to cover shis face and hands , that's good but it's not an obligatory for her. I know that some muslim scholars say that covering muslim face's and hands is an obligatory , but idon't agree with them , first because the scholars who say that isn't obligatory are more than who say the opposite, second because we know that many women wasn't covering their faces and hands at the time which prophet Mohammed (pbuh) lived, I did however find the following hadith concerning Asmaa "Aisha reported that Asmaa, the daughter of Abu Bakr (the bist freind of Mohamed), entered into the presence of the Messenger of Allaah wearing thin transparent clothing, So the Messenger of Allaah turned away from her saying : ‘O’ Asmaa, when a women reaches the age of menstruation, it is not allowed that any of her should be seen except this’ - and he pointed to his face and two hands." (Sahih, reported from Abu Dawud and Al-Bayhaqee.)
Thank you for explaining that to me.
I can understand a womans desire for modesty, and how that could include veiling. When it is done sincerely as an expression of her devotion to her religion or her god I really have no problem with it. After all, I was raised Catholic and seeing women in veils is nothing new to me

As a western woman though, what does concern me is the potential to use the hijab (and most especially the burqa) as a way to make women invisible to society, to cut her off from people other then her immediate family, either literally or symbolically. I see a great potential for abuse.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,634 times
Quote:
if you asking about islamic teaching
there is no punishment at all for her under islamic laws , the punishment of these kinds of sins will be in hearafter
so , although some nations force it in thier societies , it dosn't means that other islamic countries oppose shariah or islamic teaching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or