U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 AM

69 posts, read 137,973 times

Advertisements

I want to INFORM you through the words of a sister, why and how hijab (Islamic code of dress) protects a woman and what are its advantages. This is not coming from me but from a WESTERN woman who was born and raised in the western culture, spent most of her life on the wild side, found a deep vacuum in her life, discovered Islam, accepted it wholeheartedly, and turned her life around completely - for the better. This sister is an Irish American, has a Ph.D., teaches in a prestigious US university, wears hijab wherever she goes - in the class rooms while teaching, in the conferences and meetings she attends. She is very proud of Islam and her hijab and in the following explains the advantages and wisdom of wearing hijab. So please read with an open mind. Those who are open to reason get the guidance and better their lives, but those who have "eyes but can't see, and ears but can't hear" will wander in the wilderness of life forever. No amount of logical reasoning will help them. However, our job as Muslims, i.e., those who surrendered to Allah, is ONLY to convey the message to the darkest corners of the world. Our job as Muslims is not to impose anything on disbelivers because as Allah says in Quran, "For you is your religion, and for them is theirs".

Hijab's Protection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:45 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souhilo1 View Post
I want to INFORM you through the words of a sister, why and how hijab (Islamic code of dress) protects a woman and what are its advantages. This is not coming from me but from a WESTERN woman who was born and raised in the western culture, spent most of her life on the wild side, found a deep vacuum in her life, discovered Islam, accepted it wholeheartedly, and turned her life around completely - for the better. This sister is an Irish American, has a Ph.D., teaches in a prestigious US university, wears hijab wherever she goes - in the class rooms while teaching, in the conferences and meetings she attends. She is very proud of Islam and her hijab and in the following explains the advantages and wisdom of wearing hijab. So please read with an open mind. Those who are open to reason get the guidance and better their lives, but those who have "eyes but can't see, and ears but can't hear" will wander in the wilderness of life forever. No amount of logical reasoning will help them. However, our job as Muslims, i.e., those who surrendered to Allah, is ONLY to convey the message to the darkest corners of the world. Our job as Muslims is not to impose anything on disbelivers because as Allah says in Quran, "For you is your religion, and for them is theirs".

Hijab's Protection

Finally, a sentence that makes sense!

The rest of the post is typical religious "opinion", though. The hijab is simply part of a religion and a cultural belief. If it makes a woman feel better, that's fine...but it does not make a woman better, wiser, holier or more pure.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,488,444 times
I can understand her arguments, but that doesn't make them logical. I don't feel that my beauty or femininity holds me back in any way. You don't have to cover your hair to be modest. if its about modesty why don't men have to do it? If someone bases their worth on their hair and clothes that is sad. Her argument assumes that everyone who doesn't have the same customs as her does that. i don't feel like I need to dress up for people, or show off when I leave the house, but I don't need to be covered head to toe to be modest or be taken seriously by others.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,209,845 times
I read it as:

Because of other peoples thoughts I'm going to cover myself.

Makes perfect nonsense.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,801,362 times
I believe in modest dress for many reasons but not that I have to live under a rock because some won't control their thoughts. As far as having a PhD, that's knowledge and that's fine, but wisdom comes in all classes from the homeless to the most educated. Just because one has knowledge doesn't necessarily mean they have wisdom. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't either.

Quote:
"For you is your religion, and for them is theirs".
That, I agree with. Everyone is here on their own path and will--if ever--reach God in their own way and time. I have enough trouble keeping myself on track without trying to walk someone else's path for them.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,293,299 times
I certainly support anyone who wants to wear hijab.
But if you wouldn't mind answering a question Souhilo1?
There seems to be a great disparity between what is considered proper hijab....some women wear long sleeved shirts/pants and a head scarf. Other women wear the flowing black cape and still others the burqa. Which is right? And at which point does the symbol of hijab cease being devotion to allah and becomes subjagation to men?
Thanks!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,282,639 times
If you like the Hijab, it is cool.

Religious tolerance is always a good thing!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,479,261 times
I will always object to a dress code being imposed or "culturally indoctrinated" onto either gender based on the inability of others to control their urges or prejudices.

Just as I don't believe dressing scantily indicates a woman is a wh*re, I do not believe covering hair or from head to toe makes a woman more "chaste" either.

AND it doesn't really matter what women wear, it's no excuse for abhorent behaviour.

So by all means if a woman chooses (AND I MEAN GENUINELY CHOOSES) to dress in hijab that is their business and fine with me but I doubt very much I will ever see it as anything other than just another form of control and subjegation and I don't care how many PhD's the person wearing it has.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,071,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Just as I don't believe dressing scantily indicates a woman is a wh*re, I do not believe covering hair or from head to toe makes a woman more "chaste" either.
Exactly. Extremely revealing clothes on the one hand and veiling on the other merely represent two different approaches to treating a woman as a wh*re. Look, OP: If a woman is genuinely happy veiling herself, I won't lose sleep over that, and frankly, it's none of my business. However, when you make the matter a subject of public debate, you invite judgment. And my judgment is this: as far as the mistreatment of women is concerned, hijab is no different than a topless bustier. Both objectify the female body, and treat the female anatomy as something animalistic, non-human and alienated from the woman herself. The only difference is in the method of the objectification.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 PM

5,473 posts, read 13,666,601 times
We need more outspoken supporters of real tolerance and universal women's rights like Ayaan Hirsi Ali. (read more) Radical Islam, which is growing and spreading across the world, does not honor women or uphold their rights. How many Americans are aware of the oppressive and abusive "dress patrol" monitoring the streets of some Islamic nations? In those places, you don't have the freedom to believe what you want, but rather are forced to become a Muslim or face cruel treatment to the point of death. For more insight, including video captured of women being beaten and arrested for not meeting the government's dress standards, watch the excellent new movie called, 'The Third Jihad'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or