U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 12:08 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,278,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
You're talking about Yesterday's Christianity and comparing it to Today's Islam, sounds like you still live in the past. There is no double standard. If you search my posts, I never denied Christianity's violent history, but I said many times, we're supposed to live TODAY, learn from HISTORY and don't repeat it in the future.

I and a lot of people in the WEST want to see mass demonstrations to condone these vile acts. I want to see large demonstrations like the ones we saw during the cartoons, teddy bear etc.

elwill is a person from there, and I wanted his take on it since all he does is preach to us that Islam is tolerant and respectful of other religions.
Again, you're still stuck in the past. I can't wait for your typical brain to kick in and mention Hitler, Atom bomb and how American was founded.
Uh, I had no intentions of mentioning Hilter, Atom Bombs and whatever..

Calm down. Please don't be so brainwashed like many Christians and Islamic terrorists are.

Like I said there IS violence in TODAYS Christianity like there is Islam. Nothing about living in the past.

And if you do not mind and can drop this debate for one second, what do you mean by teddy bear? Did something happen with a Teddy Bear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 PM

500 posts, read 636,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Uh, I had no intentions of mentioning Hilter, Atom Bombs and whatever..

Calm down. Please don't be so brainwashed like many Christians and Islamic terrorists are.

Like I said there IS violence in TODAYS Christianity like there is Islam. Nothing about living in the past.
LMAO...there is violence in today's Christianity like there is in today's Islam...that's probably the funniest thing ever read on these boards. Thanks for LOL's..really.

Quote:
And if you do not mind and can drop this debate for one second, what do you mean by teddy bear? Did something happen with a Teddy Bear?
A teacher allowed her students to name a Teddy bear, the students named the bear Mohammand, and that sparked major outrage in the Muslim world.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:23 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,278,681 times
Quote:
LMAO...there is violence in today's Christianity like there is in today's Islam...that's probably the funniest thing ever read on these boards. Thanks for LOL's..really.

A teacher allowed her students to name a Teddy bear, the students named the bear Mohammand, and that sparked major outrage in the Muslim world.
I remember that bear thing. That you for refreshing my memory. Why did it outrage them so much?

They name their children Mohammand.

But anyways, you are most welcome for the LOL's! I get many when I come into the Christianity thread as well.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:35 PM

5,473 posts, read 13,661,837 times
Quote:
...Like I said there IS violence in TODAYS Christianity like there is Islam. Nothing about living in the past...
Would you mind sharing the cases of equal Christian violence from your wealth of insight, please?

Old 11-27-2008, 07:39 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,277,972 times
Quote:
Well, let's examine the claims you assert. Are there Christian suicide bombers that blow themselves up amidst populated marketplaces? No. But, I think you're also throwing the baby out with the bath water in your assertion of what 'true' Islam is as opposed to 'true' Christianity.

I find it interesting that your post is seemingly designed around promulgating that 'true' Islam implies atrocious acts of horrendous violence to produce some sort of serendipitous enlightenment but 'true' Christianity does not.

Yet, even in modern days we are faced with a vast outpouring of Christian organizations that are quite hideous. I think that on a grand scale, we could look at the Catholic Church and their blatant hypocrisy in how they are still suggesting in some of the most AIDS-riddled parts of Africa that condoms are 'sinful' or in some way bad. I wonder how many people have died of AIDS as a result of this medieval thinking? Thinking, by the way, that you claim has somehow adjusted to the times.

Lest we also not forget Christian organizations such as the Westboro Baptist Church who have done nothing but instill hideous slander and vulgarities at a wide variety of people, constantly calling them f*gs, and protesting at soldier's funerals.

These are all products of the Christian faith. Yet, I think you will find it so easy to sit back and say that this does not represent 'true' Christianity and at the same time you lump suicide bombers and terrorists into a group and call it 'true' Islam. Thus, I think you are indeed throwing the baby out with the bath water in suiting your arguments only with you want to see as the truth.

Do people speak out against organizations such as the Catholic Church and the Westboro Baptist Church? Sure they do. I am one of them. And there are Muslims and former Muslims doing the same thing with their own religions - Ayaan Hirsi Ali comes to mind. Yet, it's the fate of so many societies whether they be in the Middle East or in America that have embraced their respective religions for so long that it becomes volatile to question it.

You claim that the Muslims do not speak out enough against terrorism and suicide bombings but I think you fail to cognitively recognize that very few Christians speak out against the Catholic Church in Africa and the way they are consciously (or perhaps even unconcsiouscly) genocidally slaughtering thousands of people with the AIDS virus is no less vehement and atrocious than a person exploding themself in a marketplace - although it is much quieter.

Yet, if I speak out about it, if I draw cartoons mocking this Christian God that is still bringing death and destruction and inciting hatred and vengeance around the world, I am the one who should not be doing so. I cannot make relative comparisons to the absurdities of the Christian God by making analogies to the Flying Spaghetti Monster although the evidence for both is precisely the same.

Therefore, I find your argument to be shortsighted and only set to once again incite rank, vigorous arguments in support of your very own religion. And that uncannily reminds me of the exact same thing you purport to speak out against.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:51 PM

40,084 posts, read 26,750,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Well, let's examine the claims you assert. Are there Christian suicide bombers that blow themselves up amidst populated marketplaces? No. But, I think you're also throwing the baby out with the bath water in your assertion of what 'true' Islam is as opposed to 'true' Christianity.

I find it interesting that your post is seemingly designed around promulgating that 'true' Islam implies atrocious acts of horrendous violence to produce some sort of serendipitous enlightenment but 'true' Christianity does not.
Sorry, Troop . . . but the fundamental difference you fail to see is that such violence and atrocity is an essential part of the Islamic scripture and mission . . as is deceit and coercion of infidels. The abuses of Christianity are the result of stupid interpretations and voluntary acceptance of the stupidity by followers (Aids, etc.) in the MODERN age. IOW . . . Christianity has grown up out of its primitive past . . . Islam has not. ANY religion that relies on coercion and force to control its followers (and others) is anathema to any civilized culture. Convince, persuade, exhort . . . but if you fail you fail . . . there is no acceptable alternative left to you . . . get over it!.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,979,690 times
Quote:
Amen. Christians are perfect in every way. They are the most peaceful religion on the planet and have never been known to do anything like this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Islam either (or Christianity or pretty much any religion for that matter) but Christians hardly have any room to talk about how they are a bunch of peace loving victims.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
And there are Muslims and former Muslims doing the same thing with their own religions - Ayaan Hirsi Ali comes to mind. . . .

You claim that the Muslims do not speak out enough against terrorism and suicide bombings but I think you fail to cognitively recognize that very few Christians speak out against the Catholic Church in Africa and the way they are consciously (or perhaps even unconcsiouscly) genocidally slaughtering thousands of people with the AIDS virus is no less vehement and atrocious than a person exploding themself in a marketplace - although it is much quieter.
And you fail to cognitively realize that Muslims who speak out can be beheaded for doing so . . . and there is no comparision with voluntarily following a stupid prohibition of your faith that has POTENTIALLY dire medical consequences . . . and involuntarily having your children ACTUALLY blown up on their school bus by someone following their barbaric and primitive religion.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:09 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,277,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sorry, Troop . . . but the fundamental difference you fail to see is that such violence and atrocity is an essential part of the Islamic scripture and mission . . as is deceit and coercion of infidels. The abuses of Christianity are the result of stupid interpretations and voluntary acceptance of the stupidity by followers (Aids, etc.) in the MODERN age. IOW . . . Christianity has grown up out of its primitive past . . . Islam has not. ANY religion that relies on coercion and force to control its followers (and others) is anathema to any civilized culture. Convince, persuade, exhort . . . but if you fail you fail . . . there is no acceptable alternative left to you . . . get over it!.
I really don't think that Christianity can speak for itself in saying that it has "grown up" because it's quite clear to me with just the few examples I cited earlier how it has not. While the approaches and methodologies of one religion may differ from another I would hardly consider either religion, or for that matter ANY religion, to really be in tune with society.

But, your argument about the "abuses of Christianity" being the result of stupid interpretations and voluntary acceptance of said stupidity by followers is different than Islam how? I've heard many Muslim imams preach about how Islam is being misinterpreted to pursue a violent cause. So how is that different? How do you find yourself and give yourself the philosophical platitude in saying that 'bad' Christianity is simply misinterpreted whereas 'bad' Islam is not? It seems to me once again that the very problem with religion is precisely that - you all think you have a moratorium on the truth even when putting down other religions. It's sickening, aggravating and childish.

Personally, if you want to interpret the Koran as a book of vengeful warfare and scorn than I suppose you could find that but I also have had no shortage in finding the Bible to be full of the same thing. Once I start applying my own projections of things to an unfalsifiable entity I can turn anything into whatever it is I want it to be. The Bible is just as much filled with mindrotting, drivelous, and viciously rancorous writings as the Koran is but it must be nice to cherry-pick and say that 'true' Christianity differs from 'true' Islam. Let's face it. They're both terribly childish in terms of their relativistic moratoriums of moral truths in the world.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 11-27-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
But, your argument about the "abuses of Christianity" being the result of stupid interpretations and voluntary acceptance of said stupidity by followers is different than Islam how?
Because they do not FORCE anyone to accept their nonsense . . . they try to persuade. Islam is ALL about FORCE . . . not options . . . death or dhimmitude.
Quote:
I've heard many Muslim imams preach about how Islam is being misinterpreted to pursue a violent cause. So how is that different? How do you find yourself and give yourself the philosophical platitude in saying that 'bad' Christianity is simply misinterpreted whereas 'bad' Islam is not?
Because it is explicit in the Qu'ran . . . and Imams and ALL Muslims are exhorted to deceive the infidel in ANY way that they can until the ascendance of Islamic Law can be accomplished. Would you believe any such assurances from an Imam so instructed by his God?
Quote:
It seems to me once again that the very problem with religion is precisely that - you all think you have a moratorium on the truth even when putting down other religions. It's sickening, aggravating and childish.
BUT . . . as long as those sickening, aggravating and childish. putdowns DON'T involve coercion or force or violence . . . so what?
Quote:
Personally, if you want to interpret the Koran as a book of vengeful warfare and scorn than I suppose you could find that but I also have had no shortage in finding the Bible to be full of the same thing. Once I start applying my own projections of things to an unfalsifiable entity I can turn anything into whatever it is I want it to. The Bible is just as much filled with mindrotting, drivelous, and viciously rancorous writings as the Koran is but it must be nice to cherry-pick and say that 'true' Christianity differs from 'true' Islam. Let's face it. They're both terribly childish in terms of their relativistic moratoriums of moral truths in the world.
It is the Islamic insistence on violence, deceit and force in the name of Allah that differentiates it from civilized religions. It is primitive and barbaric, period . . . until it actually removes ALL traces of force from its beliefs and practices true tolerance by openly removing such radical and actively violent elements from among them. Without the full support of the so-called "moderate" Muslim communities these elements could not possibly be so widespread and globally active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam