U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 07:20 PM

702 posts, read 2,062,592 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot lately about radical Islam - it's become more prevalent in recent years, it seems. Honestly, I'm perplexed and bewildered over two things: 1) why a group of people (radical Muslims) display and enact upon such hatred against anyone in this big wide world who doesn't subscribe to Allah (will never happen), and 2) why anyone who is not Muslim or is uneducated automatically turns the term "Islamic" or "Muslim" into a negative connotation (aka "terrorist").

People - this is BIG world. We are all different. I will never comprehend the small-minded thinking and hatred now in the year 2008, when all quarters of the planet have been explored and documented and can be learned about upon the click of a mouse button. I truly respect and treasure all regional cultures and customs - but a globalized culture? No. How long will it take people to accept this?

Here in the sparsely-populated area of Southern New Mexico there's been a big message of "The Muslim is my enemy". I take great offense to that, as there are many millions of Muslim people in the world, and only a small handful of radical Islamics. To equate such thinking would be to say all Germans are Nazis, and they are all our enemies (going back fifty years).

A City-Data comment on the recent report of a young girl being stoned in a stadium in Somalia after being raped.

Quote:
Sad but old news. Still sad though...
But it's not old news. It still goes on - why?

The recent attacks in India are completely unnecessary and only exacerbate an already negative stereotype upon Muslims. Not smart.

And in September 2001, the weekend after the 9/11 attack, a gas station owner in Phoenix, AZ was shot in the face because he was wearing a turban. He was from India - he wasn't Muslim, a terrorist, or anything like that.

I cringe and I seethe at the ignorance, on both sides of the problem. Just looking for understanding and hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 02:59 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I hear a lot lately about radical Islam - it's become more prevalent in recent years, it seems. Honestly, I'm perplexed and bewildered over two things: 1) why a group of people (radical Muslims) display and enact upon such hatred against anyone in this big wide world who doesn't subscribe to Allah (will never happen), and 2) why anyone who is not Muslim or is uneducated automatically turns the term "Islamic" or "Muslim" into a negative connotation (aka "terrorist").

People - this is BIG world. We are all different. I will never comprehend the small-minded thinking and hatred now in the year 2008, when all quarters of the planet have been explored and documented and can be learned about upon the click of a mouse button. I truly respect and treasure all regional cultures and customs - but a globalized culture? No. How long will it take people to accept this?

Here in the sparsely-populated area of Southern New Mexico there's been a big message of "The Muslim is my enemy". I take great offense to that, as there are many millions of Muslim people in the world, and only a small handful of radical Islamics. To equate such thinking would be to say all Germans are Nazis, and they are all our enemies (going back fifty years).

A City-Data comment on the recent report of a young girl being stoned in a stadium in Somalia after being raped.

But it's not old news. It still goes on - why?

The recent attacks in India are completely unnecessary and only exacerbate an already negative stereotype upon Muslims. Not smart.

And in September 2001, the weekend after the 9/11 attack, a gas station owner in Phoenix, AZ was shot in the face because he was wearing a turban. He was from India - he wasn't Muslim, a terrorist, or anything like that.

I cringe and I seethe at the ignorance, on both sides of the problem. Just looking for understanding and hope.
i think that media succeeded to raise the hatred against muslims .
muslims are exist and live in the world beside and within nonmuslims comunities for a long time , but no one hated muslims before 11/9 and no_one noticed that muslims kills unbelievers and such unlogic and senseless claims about islam

do you ever read before 11/9 period somthing like that
" don't visit muslims countries , the kills nonmuslims there "

Old 11-29-2008, 03:10 AM

787 posts, read 1,546,804 times
Quote:
1) why a group of people (radical Muslims) display and enact upon such hatred against anyone in this big wide world who doesn't subscribe to Allah (will never happen), and 2) why anyone who is not Muslim or is uneducated automatically turns the term "Islamic" or "Muslim" into a negative connotation (aka "terrorist").
it's pack mentality. A lot of what you ask can be answered by psychology.

Quote:
i think that media succeeded to raise the hatred against muslims .
the islamic world is no better - I have read several different forums for muslims and a lot of their posts are how some american soldier shot the koran in Iraq or some other small thing like that which puts the west in a negative light.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:17 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,039,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
it's pack mentality. A lot of what you ask can be answered by psychology.

the islamic world is no better - I have read several different forums for muslims and a lot of their posts are how some american soldier shot the koran in Iraq or some other small thing like that which puts the west in a negative light.
my brother in humanity
do you think that we wait to know such behaviours for american soldier to hate them for thier invades to our countries ?!!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:58 AM

787 posts, read 1,546,804 times
Quote:
my brother in humanity
do you think that we wait to know such behaviours for american soldier to hate them for thier invades to our countries ?!!
i'm not 100% sure what you mean, but are you implying that the Islamic world only started disliking the west in 2002 when Afghanistan and later Iraq was invaded?

My point is not that one media is better or worse, but that they are just as bad as each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or