Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:35 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

I don't believe anyone, today or in the past can predict the future. No such thing as a prophet, imo.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,297 times
The Prophet s.a.w used to lean upon a palm tree trunk in his mosque while delivering his sermons. His Companions later built an actual pulpit for the Prophet s.a.w. (that pulpit is still where it is today).
When the Prophet s.a.w began using the pulpit, the tree, whose trunk he used to lean on, began to whimper and weep; so much so that the entire congregation in the mosque could hear it. The tree did not stop its weeping until the Prophet s.a.w placed his hand on it to comfort it.
O people! A tree trunk, a piece of wood, wept and yearned for the Prophet, longing for him. We O people should be the ones to really yearn and longed to be with our beloved Prophet s.a.w

Old 03-22-2009, 01:18 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
A good rule of thumb to live by:

Anyone who claims to be a prophet, is in fact a false prophet.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM

45 posts, read 119,800 times
Default False or True?

Hi all,

First, I'm a Christian, so I looked to the Bible to see if Muhammed qualified as a true or false prophet. 2 Peter 2:1-3 (NIV):
"But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them - bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping."

This verse first helped me determine Joseph Smith's (mormonism) status as prophet; he introduced "celestial marriage" secretly and that destroyed half his church; he is, imo, a false prophet.

Muhammed gave many teachings, which I am not qualified to judge, but I don't think any Muslim would deny that he denied the sovereignity and Lordship of Christ, while holding him up as a fellow prophet. Thus, according to Peter, he is a false prophet. As the previous poster said, if anyone believes the Bible then they must take Muhammed to be a false prophet. Or, if anyone believes Muhammed, then they must deny the Bible's truth. The two are mutually exclusive.

If anyone does not know which to follow, then I suggest looking into both Christ, his character and claims about himself, and Muhammed, his character and claims about himself, and seek for yourself which seems closer to what both Muslims and Christians call the One God, merciful, loving, just and true.

Katherine

Old 03-22-2009, 03:54 PM

“He (God) coils the night onto the day and coils the day onto the night.”(Qur’an, 39:5) The use of the word “coils” was once thought to be a purely poetic one, but today’s astronomical knowledge confirms that the word “coils” is scientifically very accurate in describing the spinning movement of the earth.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjat32 View Post
Hi all,

First, I'm a Christian, so I looked to the Bible to see if Muhammed qualified as a true or false prophet. 2 Peter 2:1-3 (NIV):
"But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them - bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping."

This verse first helped me determine Joseph Smith's (mormonism) status as prophet; he introduced "celestial marriage" secretly and that destroyed half his church; he is, imo, a false prophet.

Muhammed gave many teachings, which I am not qualified to judge, but I don't think any Muslim would deny that he denied the sovereignity and Lordship of Christ, while holding him up as a fellow prophet. Thus, according to Peter, he is a false prophet. As the previous poster said, if anyone believes the Bible then they must take Muhammed to be a false prophet. Or, if anyone believes Muhammed, then they must deny the Bible's truth. The two are mutually exclusive.

If anyone does not know which to follow, then I suggest looking into both Christ, his character and claims about himself, and Muhammed, his character and claims about himself, and seek for yourself which seems closer to what both Muslims and Christians call the One God, merciful, loving, just and true. Katherine
Jesus never claimed to be God. In fact in numerous passages in the bible, we have Jesus praying to God. We have Jesus supplicating to God. We have Jesus admitting that he knows nought except what the Father lets him know. An example is when asked about the Last Hour, Jesus answers that only the Father knows. If he is God or the son of God, he should know the answer. And if it was Jesus on the cross, why he did he cry out 'My God why has thou forsaken me?' Surely a God will not need to cry out in that way?

Thus my question to you Katherine is : Is the bible that you have in your hands, the true bible of Jesus? Which of the numerous bibles is yours? If you're a Protestant then why does your bible number 66 books while the Catholic's version numbers 73 books? Which is the correct book of God then? If you say Protestanism is the true religion then what happened to the balance 7 books? Are they thrown out? If yes, why? Who decides that those 'excess' books are not from God's?
The NT was not written by Jesus, who wrote it then? If its not from Jesus aka God, Paul wrote it? Paul a fellow who did not even meet Jesus in his lifetime now claimed to write a book that was divinely inspired? And how does one account to the numerous errors and contradictions in the bible?
The OT God and the NT God seem to be miles apart in characteristics. So if you claim that God is the NT God, what happened to the OT God? Can God change His characteristics? If yes, seems like He can't seem to make up his mind whether to be the all Powerful God of the OT or the one pictured in the NT..
The reasons why Muslims believe in Muhammad s.a.w being a true prophet are many but the main reason is the Greatest miracle he brought - the Quran. In the Quran there are no contradictions or errors. In fact, only now with the aid of the advancements in science, the scientific statements embedded in some of the Quranic verses are slowly coming to light. Statements which no 14th century illiterate arab, in fact which not even the greatest mind of that era, could possibly have known. That is the mark of a true prophet. His truth lies in the Quran.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Jesus never claimed to be God. In fact in numerous passages in the bible, we have Jesus praying to God. We have Jesus supplicating to God. We have Jesus admitting that he knows nought except what the Father lets him know. An example is when asked about the Last Hour, Jesus answers that only the Father knows. If he is God or the son of God, he should know the answer. And if it was Jesus on the cross, why he did he cry out 'My God why has thou forsaken me?' Surely a God will not need to cry out in that way?

Thus my question to you Katherine is : Is the bible that you have in your hands, the true bible of Jesus? Which of the numerous bibles is yours? If you're a Protestant then why does your bible number 66 books while the Catholic's version numbers 73 books? Which is the correct book of God then? If you say Protestanism is the true religion then what happened to the balance 7 books? Are they thrown out? If yes, why? Who decides that those 'excess' books are not from God's?
The NT was not written by Jesus, who wrote it then? If its not from Jesus aka God, Paul wrote it? Paul a fellow who did not even meet Jesus in his lifetime now claimed to write a book that was divinely inspired? And how does one account to the numerous errors and contradictions in the bible?
The OT God and the NT God seem to be miles apart in characteristics. So if you claim that God is the NT God, what happened to the OT God? Can God change His characteristics? If yes, seems like He can't seem to make up his mind whether to be the all Powerful God of the OT or the one pictured in the NT..
The reasons why Muslims believe in Muhammad s.a.w being a true prophet are many but the main reason is the Greatest miracle he brought - the Quran. In the Quran there are no contradictions or errors. In fact, only now with the aid of the advancements in science, the scientific statements embedded in some of the Quranic verses are slowly coming to light. Statements which no 14th century illiterate arab, in fact which not even the greatest mind of that era, could possibly have known. That is the mark of a true prophet. His truth lies in the Quran.
You know, as I learn about different religions/denominations, if I understood something one way, but was taught my error, I stop representing it in the previous way. I lose respect for those who, after having been told over and over again something that proves them wrong, keep saying it anyway.

Example: it's always said Catholics worship Mary. Many on here have said and shown that they do not worship Mary, just hold her in high regard...so I no longer believe they do, nor do I say they do anymore...and yet some will continue to say, yes you do!!

You have been shown where Jesus claimed to be God. You have had it explained that Jesus was God, but emptied Himself while on the earth. You have been told who has written the books of the Bible, and you were shown that Saul/Paul did in fact meet Jesus.

Yet, you still keep repeating these false claims. You are not looking for answers, because you've already been given them, but ignore them. Why? Is it the only way you feel you can make Islam look good?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
You know, as I learn about different religions/denominations, if I understood something one way, but was taught my error, I stop representing it in the previous way. I lose respect for those who, after having been told over and over again something that proves them wrong, keep saying it anyway.

Example: it's always said Catholics worship Mary. Many on here have said and shown that they do not worship Mary, just hold her in high regard...so I no longer believe they do, nor do I say they do anymore...and yet some will continue to say, yes you do!!

You have been shown where Jesus claimed to be God. You have had it explained that Jesus was God, but emptied Himself while on the earth. You have been told who has written the books of the Bible, and you were shown that Saul/Paul did in fact meet Jesus.

Yet, you still keep repeating these false claims. You are not looking for answers, because you've already been given them, but ignore them. Why? Is it the only way you feel you can make Islam look good?
And you have been shown signs and proofs that Muhamad s.a.w was indeed the the paraclete or comforter as prophesied by Jesus, and yet you prefer to remain in the dark. You will never find a muslim 'attack' or try to put down Jesus which alas is not true for those who try to cast aspersions on the Last Messenger. As one who testifies to the belief in One God and all His Messengers from Adam to Moses to Jesus and finally to Muhammad s.a.w I would not want God to ask me on Judgement Day as to why I kept quiet while lies and falsehoods were being bandied about regarding His beloved Muhammad s.a.w who He had send down as a Mercy to all Mankind

Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
And you have been shown signs and proofs that Muhamad s.a.w was indeed the the paraclete or comforter as prophesied by Jesus, and yet you prefer to remain in the dark. You will never find a muslim 'attack' or try to put down Jesus which alas is not true for those who try to cast aspersions on the Last Messenger. As one who testifies to the belief in One God and all His Messengers from Adam to Moses to Jesus and finally to Muhammad s.a.w I would not want God to ask me on Judgement Day as to why I kept quiet while lies and falsehoods were being bandied about regarding His beloved Muhammad s.a.w who He had send down as a Mercy to all Mankind
Then you understand where I'm coming from when I speak out against the lies and falsehoods against the Christ.

And nothing has been shown to me that Muhammad is the Comforter. The Holy Spirit is. I'm not talking about our differences in our religions. You believe the Comforter is Muhammad, I believe it's the Holy Spirit. I'm talking about you saying things like, Jesus never claimed to be God, or Paul never met Jesus...when it's been shown to you in the Bible that these are both false. You can say you don't believe it, but don't say it's not written.

See the difference?

Last edited by mzjamiedawn; 03-22-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
The above posts are a shining example of the problem with most religions, in particular Islam and Christianity....Most think every other religion is false or wrong, even different sects within these two faiths...Personally I think you are all wrong, and that is only one more than what the religious think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam