U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:05 AM

3,437 posts, read 5,530,404 times

Advertisements

I am still thinking about this senseless act of terror in Mumbai and I still cannot comprehend it logically. All of the terrorists died, except one. What the hell did they accomplish with this? Was this worth all the suffering the family of the victims will endure for the rest of their lives? I know about Islam and I know what it teaches but it seems to me that no religion has created more sick nutcases than Islam. Did these people truly believe that they were going to be rewarded by God after creating so much chaos, destruction and suffering? I still cannot understand it. I am not religious but if I wanted to do something godly, probably I would be helping poor children, building homes, helping the elderly, not creating chaos, death and suffering. If anybody can explain this mindset to me me logically, I would appreciate it, I find it so bizarre, hypocritical, insane and illogical!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:02 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,339,215 times
Must have something to do with those 72 virgins (no one told them they will all be guys)

It will be interesting to see how India reacts to all this. Hopefully, sensibility shall prevail.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:06 AM

2,639 posts, read 6,042,875 times
It is impossible for rational minds to comprehend that kind of violence however these clearly weren't rational people. I'm not one for stereotyping or painting an entire group of people with the same brush but anyone who says that Islam as a whole is a peaceful religion has either been living under a rock all their lives or is in denial. There are peaceful Muslims out there (I know one personally) and they're a great bunch but that doesn't detract from the fact that they follow an intolerant, oppressive religion. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of world religions have this element to them but it strikes me as more than a coincidence that Islam has bred such staggering rates of violence, especially towards innocent civilians such as those targeted in Mumbai. It's sad though because, at the end of the day, these kinds of acts result in Muslims being discriminated against even more, including the peaceful ones. This just results in a self-perpetuating situation because it breeds more hatred among the fanatical Muslims towards those who don't follow Islam. Although I don't completely agree with it, I can understand why some people say that the world would be better off without religion.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,352,640 times
Islam is merely the nutjob headliner du jour. The Christians have more than their fair share, and from what I've seen in Israel, Jewry isn't exactly without headcases, either.
For that matter, there's a video somewhere on the web of Buddhist monks rioting. So I'm guessing pretty much every religion has more than its quota of violent, murderous a**hats.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,940,359 times
All religions have their nutjobs because anyone who takes fairy tales so seriously is going to be a nutcase no matter what. Christians bomb abortion clinics and set fires to gay centers and Jewish Temples. There have been numerous Jewish terror groups, Sikhs as well. Japan has religious battles between Shinto and Buddhism, Hindus have been extremists as well. The simple fact of the matter is, if you believe too much in any one group of superstitions, you are going to be a danger to society.

Islam was spread by the tip of the sword, through wars of conquests in the 7th and 8th centuries especially. Christianity was spread basically the same way "convert or die" in Europe and through the missionaries who would only help out people who "accepted Jesus Christ". Religion has done nothing for this world but slow progress and tear us apart. We are all one people, so why do we all come from a different creator?

Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,352,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
All religions have their nutjobs because anyone who takes fairy tales so seriously is going to be a nutcase no matter what. Christians bomb abortion clinics and set fires to gay centers and Jewish Temples. There have been numerous Jewish terror groups, Sikhs as well. Japan has religious battles between Shinto and Buddhism, Hindus have been extremists as well. The simple fact of the matter is, if you believe too much in any one group of superstitions, you are going to be a danger to society.
Not necessarily. Even assuming (purely for the sake of argument) that faith is on a par with psychosis, it's perfectly possible to be psychotic and not a danger to oneself or others.
I'll grant you psychotics are probably likelier to be dangerous than someone stone cold sane...but it's not a given.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:54 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,606,330 times
Islam is a good religion likes the other religions in this world, and has no relative with terrorism. Don't mix the papers .

Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,530,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-Mona View Post
Islam is a good religion likes the other religions in this world, and has no relative with terrorism. Don't mix the papers .
I think you are living in denial. What else could have inspired these people to do this but some type of (probably twisted) ISLAMIC belief. Do you think if they were Mormons or Quakers, they would have done this???

Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,606,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I think you are living in denial. What else could have inspired these people to do this but some type of (probably twisted) ISLAMIC belief. Do you think if they were Mormons or Quakers, they would have done this???
I think I am living in a world you don't know anything about it.
The Islamic world ,,,,It is huge and bigger than you realize, full of good beliefs and faith.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 AM

40,414 posts, read 26,933,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-Mona View Post
I think I am living in a world you don't know anything about it.
The Islamic world ,,,,It is huge and bigger than you realize, full of good beliefs and faith.
Well . . . I know the world you are living in . . . and it is anathema to non-Muslim communities and faiths. Within your faith you have beautiful principles and values toward one another . . . and heinous punishments and disciplines for those who stray. Outside your communities anything goes that is believed to promote the cause of Allah. There are no innocents outside the faith and no worthwhile people outside your communities. They may be lied to, killed, conned, cheated, . . whatever in the name of Allah and all with Allah's blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or