U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2008, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,874 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Reputation: 12622

Advertisements

So now on to the other subject I'm interested in. What exactly is the reason for this? Don't give any bs about heath reasons either. We both know better. I believe it is an extreme measure to control women. Can you tell me if you are in fact a woman? By the way I am not placing any blame on you personally regarding honor killings.

Egypt has one of the highest FGM rates in the world. According to a 2005 study conducted by UNICEF, 96 percent of women between the ages of 15 to 49 who had ever been married are circumcised. A recent study by the country's Ministry of Health and Population also found that 50.3 percent of girls between the ages of 10 and 18 had been circumcised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 PM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,493 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So now on to the other subject I'm interested in. What exactly is the reason for this? Don't give any bs about heath reasons either. We both know better. I believe it is an extreme measure to control women. Can you tell me if you are in fact a woman? By the way I am not placing any blame on you personally regarding honor killings.

Egypt has one of the highest FGM rates in the world. According to a 2005 study conducted by UNICEF, 96 percent of women between the ages of 15 to 49 who had ever been married are circumcised. A recent study by the country's Ministry of Health and Population also found that 50.3 percent of girls between the ages of 10 and 18 had been circumcised.
is FGM considered to be sin in any other relegion in the world
if yes give proofs from holy books

if no
then we will talking about it scientifically not relegiously , because even in islam it isn't obligatory practice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 10:56 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
Reputation: 48140
help me out. basic underlying and driving force of it all is concept of punishment no?
evil, wrong, must be punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,874 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Reputation: 12622
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
is FGM considered to be sin in any other relegion in the world
if yes give proofs from holy books

if no
then we will talking about it scientifically not relegiously , because even in islam it isn't obligatory practice
I have no idea what "sin" has to do with it, but as far as I know Islam is the only religion that mutilates females in this way. It may not be obligatory, but why don't you tell that to the 4 and 5 year old children that are butchered...Out of the 96% of the women in Egypt that have had it done to them, how many do you think make this choice for themselves? In my opinion it is child abuse of the worst kind, and it is beyond me how anyone can possibly defend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 11:51 PM
 
8,743 posts, read 10,273,174 times
Reputation: 3385
Hey Elwill and Sanspeur,

I can see where you both come from. Elwill seems to be frustrated because everyone seems to view Islam in a negative manner.

Sanspeur is stating what he feels. From what I see, he (or she) feels Islam is bad towards their women.

From what I see I have to agree with Sanspeur on that. I think I have not seen any other religion aside from Islam treat their women the way they have. Even Elwill said in the other thread "

9-The best among you is the one who treats his wives best, and I treat my wives best."

Why is ok for men to have wiveS but not for women to have husbandS? I do not like some of the things I have read about Islam and their prophet. Sorry Elwill but if my daughter ever brought home an Islamic man, I would do everything in my power to stop that marriage from happening. I think they need to make bigger deals over poverty and such instead of naming a Teddy Bear Muhammed.

Still, Elwill has the right to believe what he (or she) wants too. I respect it.

As for Sanspeur, I think that there is no point in arguing this. There will bad people in ALL religions. Al though, Islam is the most backward religion culturally and socially, they are not all bad. I am sure there are fathers who are overprotective of their daughters. I am sure there are husbands who marry only one wife. But likewise, even Christians-The Mormons- do that as well.

Good luck both of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 12:38 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,493 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have no idea what "sin" has to do with it, but as far as I know Islam is the only religion that mutilates females in this way. It may not be obligatory, but why don't you tell that to the 4 and 5 year old children that are butchered...Out of the 96% of the women in Egypt that have had it done to them, how many do you think make this choice for themselves? In my opinion it is child abuse of the worst kind, and it is beyond me how anyone can possibly defend it.
boys either butchured (by your concept) in this early age without choices
why are you so angry regarding to females not males ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,874 posts, read 31,750,270 times
Reputation: 12622
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
boys either butchured (by your concept) in this early age without choices
why are you so angry regarding to females not males ?
I'm not in favor of male circumcision of infants either, but the two hardly compare.. FGM is a much more destuctive and invasive procedure and has no benifits. In males a portion of the foreskin is removed. It is now thought that circumcised males have a 60% less chance of transmitting the AIDs virus.

Nevertheless I think the decision should be made by the person as to whether or not to have it done when they are old enough to decide, be they male or female.

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is an invasive and painful surgical procedure that is often performed without anesthetic on girls before puberty. Various sources estimate that from about 60 to 140 million women in the world have been circumcised. An average of about four girls a minute continue to be mutilated. Their prepuce is removed and their clitoris may be partially or completely removed. In some traditions the operation is far more invasive: the labia minora are also surgically removed and the labia majora are sewn together, covering the urethra and vagina. A small opening is retained for the passage of urine and menstrual fluid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 02:38 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,493 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm not in favor of male circumcision of infants either, but the two hardly compare.. FGM is a much more destuctive and invasive procedure and has no benifits. In males a portion of the foreskin is removed. It is now thought that circumcised males have a 60% less chance of transmitting the AIDs virus.
be just in your judgement
you give the excuses when it regard to males because there are benfits from it

some otheres think that there are benefits regarding to females.
muslims didn't make it because they hate females , do you really think that ?

Quote:
Nevertheless I think the decision should be made by the person as to whether or not to have it done when they are old enough to decide, be they male or female.
you think and i think.
thoughts not a suitable way to determine whom wrong and whom right.

i think that it will be more hard and most pain if such practice happened to the matures

Quote:
Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is an invasive and painful surgical procedure that is often performed without anesthetic on girls before puberty. Various sources estimate that from about 60 to 140 million women in the world have been circumcised. An average of about four girls a minute continue to be mutilated. Their prepuce is removed and their clitoris may be partially or completely removed. In some traditions the operation is far more invasive: the labia minora are also surgically removed and the labia majora are sewn together, covering the urethra and vagina. A small opening is retained for the passage of urine and menstrual fluid.
anyway i have to admit that i'm not a doctor , and this issue not have this interrest with islam as a relegion

the issue is very very doubtious , i myself confused about it
you can read about the varity of views here
[Islam-Online- Science, Ideas & Technology]

It is not practiced in the cradle and of Islam, namely Saudi Arabia. Neither is it practiced in Algeria, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia.


Muslims, Christians, some animists and one Jewish sect practice FGM in Africa. But it is not a requirement of any of these religions. The distribution of the practice does not follow the distribution of these religious groups in the African continent. Infibulation is overwhelmingly the most common type of circumcision performed in Africa.

after all , i will not give it big interrest , doing it or not doing it will change nothing being a muslim . it's silence issue regarding to islam


you try to give yourself excuses to hate islam from some practices , so go ahead , i will not stop you .

and you are wellcome if you have farthest questions

Last edited by elwill; 12-14-2008 at 03:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 AM
 
787 posts, read 1,546,364 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
adultery is common sin in the west , there is freedom in adultery and there is freedom for your sister or your daughter to commit it without marriage

such practice dosn't bring anger for the males in the west , so that this kind of crimes are rare there
adultery does make males and females angry and it is frowned upon by most people, we just don't kill the adulterers (usually, anyway. There is the occasional murder committed by someone over their partner being adulterous).

By the way, is there a particular reason you focused on "sisters or daughters" committing such a sin and not "brothers and daughters"? In Egypt, is there a difference if a male has pre-marital sex than if a female has pre-marital sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,493 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
By the way, is there a particular reason you focused on "sisters or daughters" committing such a sin and not "brothers and daughters"? In Egypt, is there a difference if a male has pre-marital sex than if a female has pre-marital sex?
is honor killing committed against males ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top