U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times

Advertisements

Recently, just for the fun of it, I have been hanging out on a couple of Muslim dating/marriage type websites. I do this to gain an understanding of people in general, and the Muslim point of view specifically.

I have noticed that OVERWHELMINGLY the people who were not raised in the faith, but have converted (or "reverted" as they put it), are women.

In fact, last night I spent a couple of hours on there, looking at photos and reading profiles, and ALL of the people who have "come over" to Islam from another religion were women - NOT ONE MAN!

This is interesting considering all the negative media hype about how badly Muslim women are supposedly treated. Of course, I have never believed this having known a few Muslim women in my day, but this is nevertheless, the perception.

Indeed if Muslim women have it so "tough" why would so many non-Muslims embrace a faith that supposedly will treat them so poorly? I'm perplexed.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 AM

395 posts, read 1,181,956 times
Good question. Did you ask anyone who converted?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,089,473 times
why does a battered wife return to her abuser?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:33 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,042,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
why does a battered wife return to her abuser?
You didn't read the OP. He said clearly that most of them are converts, not women that have been raised in the Islamic faith.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,089,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
You didn't read the OP. He said clearly that most of them are converts, not women that have been raised in the Islamic faith.
Ok....why is a woman attracted to the chauvinistic, abusive type?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:45 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,724,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
The question still stands. The battered wife, after all, chose her abuser in the beginning and there usually are signs he's an abuser yet she chooses him anyway.

Why do women choose abusers? Why do people join cults? Some people prefer to be told what to think/do. It absolves them of the possibility of being wrong. I'd start with low self esteem on this one.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,573,472 times
20yrsinBranson,

you have made a good observation.

There are more women converts because Muslim men can marry non muslim women. And plenty of them do, and when they do they expose said women to Islam. And lets face it, here in the US at least women are independent thinkers, and do in fact look into the religion, and make a decision about being part of it. Some of them decide to become Muslim.

They look at the religion itself, not all the cultural crap that weighs it down. It is just a religion like any other. Different, yes, less "believable" no. Frankly, the whole "Jesus is God" thing always has confused me. Saying that Jesus is actually a prophet, not god, is totally logical IMO.

And there are male muslim converts, just not as many, because muslim women can not marry non-muslims, therefore, men are less likely to be exposed to the religion through marriage to a muslim.

My theory on the converts on these dating sites and why you don't see any male converts there? Well, the divorce rate in this country is high, don't know what it is in the Muslim community as opposed to the general population, but if these women are "religious" they are not going to marry a non muslim after converting. So they are going to need a place to find a muslim man. Whereas a male convert, on the othe hand, if he is divorced, can marry a Christian or Jewish woman, therfore he has less of a need to be on an Islamic dating site.

It is not the faith that treats the women poorly, in the majority of cases the women are NOT treated poorly, and if they are it is because of the HUSBAND, not the RELIGION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or