U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:21 PM

410 posts, read 434,726 times

Advertisements

when muslims wear a head cover face cover and body cover as a part of their religion, why does this bother so many that muslim chose to live without a face and body and using just the mind alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:03 PM

783 posts, read 1,183,759 times
If this is their preference I see no problem in general. Who is bothered?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:16 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,808,340 times
I don't think that the head scarf or body cover bothers them. I think it bothers them that the person is Islamic and the scarf just identifies the person, so they have a place to direct their hatred.

It's wrong, it's unAmerican, it's unChristian, it's disgusting.

There was a show on TV (can't remember what show) where a woman wearing a hajib went into a bakery and the clerk (a plant) treated her terribly, refusing to serve her. It was interesting to see how the other customers responded. A number of them were quite outspoken in their disgust in the treatment the woman received. It gave one hope that maybe we are about to become a more inclusive America.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,257,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
when muslims wear a head cover face cover and body cover as a part of their religion, why does this bother so many that muslim chose to live without a face and body and using just the mind alone?
I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't have a bomb hiding underneath it. I say this because female suicide bombers in Israel have been caught wearing the typical muslim garb with bombs strapped to their bodies. Some men are even posing as women wearing the bombs under body covers so as not to be detected and they can do more damage when people are caught off guard.

Why do you chose to live without a face or body? Is it because you are oppressed by the men in your religion? Why do you care what people think?

Last edited by MrsMtnsOnTheMind; 12-27-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 10:42 AM

217 posts, read 611,798 times
because americans are 3 times more intolerant of others beliefs than the people they accuse of the samething.......

Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,993,709 times
There seems to be a cultural element which we tend to ignore. As an example, there was a fatwah issued against a female tennis player (Sania or Sonia Mirza??) by an Indian cleric a couple of yrs ago. He was unhappy about her inappropriate dress in the tennis court. This is India's #1 ranked female player. She ignored this BS and continues to play with the "inappropriate" garb. There were many other mulsim leaders and some muslim actresses who came out openly in favor of this player. It was also pointed out to me (when I was in India) that in Pakistan, males cannot go to see a woman's field hockey match as it is not considered appropriate, whereas in secular India, muslim women have no issues and some of its muslim females have had no issues being in international swimsuit competitions. Turkey is another example of a relatively modern muslim country. India has probably the third largest muslim population in the world (Indonesia and Bangladesh being ahead of it) but when people in the US think of muslims, they usually only have the middle easterners in mind and not the cultural breadth of the muslim population. There are many cultural variations within the Islamic community itself and the appropriateness of the garb varies significantly.

Last edited by calmdude; 01-21-2009 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 01:23 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,094,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
because americans are 3 times more intolerant of others beliefs than the people they accuse of the samething.......
It's not Americans issuing fatwas because people are dressed the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post

I have absolutely no problem with muslim women wearing scarves.

I do know though, that there has been discussions regarding whether or not they should be required to remove them for a driver's license picture, or state ID picture. Common sense tells me that yes--they should. They should also be required to remove the scarf if needed to identify them against that picture in a store or by a police officer.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I have absolutely no problem with muslim women wearing scarves.
In Turkey, women are banned from wearing scarves in universities as it is considered anti-secular (Turkey Upholds College Scarf Ban - TIME). This is not the case in many other muslim countries.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,695,167 times
the negative association i have with it is the violence against women: beatings, lack of legal rights, "honor killings" where it is OK and legal to murder women

Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
the negative association i have with it is the violence against women: beatings, lack of legal rights, "honor killings" where it is OK and legal to murder women
... and the lack of the right to even drive in some countries ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or