U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque
244 posts, read 253,869 times
Reputation: 170

Advertisements

When are you people going to get it? When are you going to grow up? Can't you see what is going on here? If anyone needs a bedtime story to make them sleep better at night, let them have it. People have to believe in something so they can have hope and not fall into despair. But would you all stop trying to persuade one another that one religion is better or more correct than another. Why don't you focus on what your religion or belief supposedly espouses regarding the moral correctness of loving other people. All of the silly religions imply that the only people worthy of love are those that think alike, believe alike, and worship alike. But what has that gotten us? Think about that. If all the religions want love, why is there not love between religions? Why is it so difficult to allow someone to think differently and still not consider that they are worthy of love? Should it matter if someone is hurt and they are wearing something on their head that signifies they believe in a religion different than yours? Do they not deserve the common decency to be helped? Why should it matter who killed who first? Someone has to stop killing first. Someone has to start accepting first. Why don't we all become the good example and start accepting first.

I started reading this thread because I thought I could learn something about a religion that I didn't know. I thought I could gain some insight into the minds of people I am unfamiliar with. I have had friends who are Muslim, but I don't question them about their religion because we spend our time finding common ground, not defining our differences. Is it possible to participate in this thread because of an interest in finding out what Islam is, or should we try to shut someone down because their beliefs don't jibe with our own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:58 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,348 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
I started reading this thread because I thought I could learn something about a religion that I didn't know. I thought I could gain some insight into the minds of people I am unfamiliar with. I have had friends who are Muslim, but I don't question them about their religion because we spend our time finding common ground, not defining our differences. Is it possible to participate in this thread because of an interest in finding out what Islam is, or should we try to shut someone down because their beliefs don't jibe with our own?
feel free to ask whatever you want
even if you want to criticise in the sense of finding answers or refutes and with politely way , so you are most wellcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque
244 posts, read 253,869 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
feel free to ask whatever you want
even if you want to criticise in the sense of finding answers or refutes and with politely way , so you are most wellcome
The obvious question that comes from my statement, which unfortunately is not specific about the beliefs held in Islam - something I will find myself through later study, or from reading more on these boards if there is productive discussion. Is there any defined or written position that those practicing Islam are taught in regards to other religions? In other words, are muslims taught to be accepting of people who don't think like them, or are these people only accepted if they convert to Islam? I wonder if anyone really thinks it is realistic for everyone in the world to think and believe in the same way. There has to be acceptance and a common respect for the autonomy of other cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 AM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,728,254 times
Reputation: 813
Post a humble effort made by c-d international university..

... back to enlightenment efforts \!!

Nathan the Wise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


... anticipating to be of kindred support!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 AM
 
2,255 posts, read 4,891,398 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
The obvious question that comes from my statement, which unfortunately is not specific about the beliefs held in Islam - something I will find myself through later study, or from reading more on these boards if there is productive discussion. Is there any defined or written position that those practicing Islam are taught in regards to other religions? In other words, are muslims taught to be accepting of people who don't think like them, or are these people only accepted if they convert to Islam? I wonder if anyone really thinks it is realistic for everyone in the world to think and believe in the same way. There has to be acceptance and a common respect for the autonomy of other cultures.
I'm not sure about what's written, but a couple of years ago I remember on the CNN News here in Europe, they were interviewing a Muslim Cleric who was asked about if the violence would ever end and his response was,
"We Muslim are not Christians, we do not turn the other cheek. We take vengence on our enemies."

I tried to Google and find the quote because it was so outrageous, but without success. However there does appear to be alot of other info out there on the subject. But i have'nt got the desire or time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 06:34 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,038,348 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
The obvious question that comes from my statement, which unfortunately is not specific about the beliefs held in Islam - something I will find myself through later study, or from reading more on these boards if there is productive discussion. Is there any defined or written position that those practicing Islam are taught in regards to other religions? In other words, are muslims taught to be accepting of people who don't think like them, or are these people only accepted if they convert to Islam? I wonder if anyone really thinks it is realistic for everyone in the world to think and believe in the same way. There has to be acceptance and a common respect for the autonomy of other cultures.
i guess that you want writings from our holy book or from the sunnah of our prophet (pbuh)


God does not forbid you (O'muslims) from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers. (The Noble Quran, 60:8)"
arabic word of "showing kindness " is "Bir"
this word is the highst level of rightious behaviour , quran always use this word according to our relation with our parents
in this verse God used the same word to describe how should muslims deals with nonmuslims
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Hamburg NY
33 posts, read 37,235 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
What makes Islam look bad is not the work of a few violent Muslims.

What makes Islam look bad is when crowds of many thousands of seemingly mainstream Muslims cheer over the horrors wrought by a few violent Muslims.

What makes Islam look bad is that when governments who profess to be the most deeply steeped in Islam:

--stone their women for perceived indecencies
--blow up ancient statues
--otherwise show a lack of civilization and humanity.

If anyone watching extremist Islamic governments thinks "Good lord, the more deeply they embrace this religion the worse they behave," no one can blame them for suspecting that the problem lies partly in the religion's core tenets. The evidence suggests it.

When I look at Islam, there's far more than can fit in one field of vision. The most rational version I see is that which prevails in southeast Asia, Turkey, Morocco and many other non-theocratic countries. Lumping all of Islam together is as ignorant as lumping all of Christianity together, and about as productive.
you lack knowledge there in a voilent region, french during the revolution came out in thousands for bloody and public executions and the spanish inquisition was no tea party no religion is perfect but to discriminate and to make sweeping genralizations alwzys i dont care what its about ALWAYS are false
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Hamburg NY
33 posts, read 37,235 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I'm not sure about what's written, but a couple of years ago I remember on the CNN News here in Europe, they were interviewing a Muslim Cleric who was asked about if the violence would ever end and his response was,
"We Muslim are not Christians, we do not turn the other cheek. We take vengence on our enemies."

I tried to Google and find the quote because it was so outrageous, but without success. However there does appear to be alot of other info out there on the subject. But i have'nt got the desire or time.
If we judge a culture based on 1 persons remarks then all southern US citizens are racist, all catholics dont believe in evolution and all people in cities are involved in the mob and do drugs... Sweeping genralizations are ALWAYS false i say it all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Hamburg NY
33 posts, read 37,235 times
Reputation: 13
alot of the violence in the region is due to western influence... the troubles in Iraq? because when the borders were placed by the Brits they ignored cultural boundries and grouped three groups that all hated eachother in the same spot... in echange to make a boundry on a river... that worked out well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
91 posts, read 107,804 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnasr View Post
Islam simply means peace, i have travel to many parts and reading alot what people are saying about Islam. Sorry you all got it wrong. People committing suicide bombing is not Islam, "anybody that kill himself he will be punished in here after" so what those islam have to do with terrorism? Muslim killing his fellow muslim as a result of suicide bomb, is that Islam?NO. That is peoples choice, What war do Islam know? "HOLY WAR" that is it, islam indicate to marry four(4) wives (IF) you will be justly to all of them , feed them and their children,provide shelter to them and equality of love.Please Islam is not a religion of killing but a religion of peace, a good muslim is different from others....Most of the people involved in this killings are the others who call them selves Muslim....ALLAH AKHBAR....


Share your ideas with me in other for the world to know the real background of Islam, If you have questions please say them, its all knowledge.....
Your version of Islam is words not action, did you say peace? The only time you can use peace and Islam in one sentence is when they on opposite ends. Only the muslims think Islam is peaceful nobody else does and that is the problem. Islam was built on violence and continues to bear that mentality up to today hence jihad.

Islam is really a way of life to counteract the Jews and christianity. It is founded on economics and not a god - your meat can only be bought from another muslim your clothes are removed from western influence and the pilgrimage to Mecca is one way of maintaining an economy without oil.

I'm sorry to say this but Islam is probably the most unwelcome religion in the world today thanks to the extremists and suicide bombers. Look at how muslims react to negative acts against Islam - take e.g. the news paper cartoon clips in Denmark and the writings of Salmon Rushdie! Muslim reaction to critisism or humour does not portray peace at all. Muslims are so bent on revenge its cause for concern!

If you want to preach Islam and spread its message of peace you need to start with muslims and if they catch on then maybe others will to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top