Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Islam has some very beautiful principles . . . the ones that mirror Christ's beatitudes and the Sermon on the Mount. The malevolent corruptions of Mohammed using Jihad to spread Islam and achieve worldly power and Sharia Law are an abomination of those principles. ANY religion that FORCES anyone to abide by it is EVIL! Our souls are free to accept or not . . . and there should be NO EARTHLY consequences from others who disagree!

There is no compulsion in religion; truly the right way has become clearly distinct from error; therefore, whoever disbelieves in the Shaitan and believes in Allah he indeed has laid hold on the firmest handle, which shall not break off, and Allah is Hearing, Knowing. Sura #2:256
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
To the OP, I can't read the portion of your text in yellow, it is too bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
So it's not true that the only sure way to get to paradise and 72 virgins is to die in jihad?

I've always heard the reason the 9/11 hijackers went to the strip club the night before was to seal their fate--no paradise for them unless they carried out the plan.
your sarcasm is much appreciated, as usual, kdbrich.

if the 9/11 hijackers thought that if they went to a strip club the only way to redeem themselves was to attack to skyscrapers and kill thousands of people (some of whom were muslim, if you didn't know), then they had no idea what Islam is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
doesn't it mean submission to God?

but a muslim killing a non-muslim as the result of a suicide bomb is fine?
[/color]
that is not what he/she was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
It is a common misconception that Mohammad was a man of peace. He actually wasn't, he happened to be very violent. His religion came about by force, from he himself to boot.
"from he himself to boot"

And what does this mean? That the religion came from him? He was illiterate. Or is that also a "misconception"? Do you have some source that says that he was really a scholar and a writer?

Whether or not he was violent depends greatly on your source of information.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:26 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
He [Mohammad] was illiterate. Or is that also a "misconception"? Do you have some source that says that he was really a scholar and a writer?
I’ve sat idly by witnessing this claim of “Mohammad being illiterate” used in several discussions as if it is some “slam dunk evidence” that establishes the validity of the Quran. Why does everyone take this at face value? Does anyone here ever verify what they read?

Mommytotwo, I can assure you that there is credible evidence which indicates that Mohammad was not “illiterate”, as you assert. While he was not a scholar or writer he was not illiterate, he could read and write. If the “illiteracy” of a person is the keystone of your belief it is but mere religion that you follow, not God.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
I’ve sat idly by witnessing this claim of “Mohammad being illiterate” used in several discussions as if it is some “slam dunk evidence” that establishes the validity of the Quran. Why does everyone take this at face value? Does anyone here ever verify what they read?

Mommytotwo, I can assure you that there is credible evidence which indicates that Mohammad was not “illiterate”, as you assert. While he was not a scholar or writer he was not illiterate, he could read and write. If the “illiteracy” of a person is the keystone of your belief it is but mere religion that you follow, not God.
Salt & Light, was I there to give him a reading assessment? No. Could he read and write? Depends on who you ask. Is it pretty much widespread knowledge / belief that the man would not have been able to write the Quran? Yes.

Smug remarks are not necessary.

The "illiteracy" of a person has nothing whatsoever to do with my religious faith.

Don't "if" this or that me.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:

And since you "assure me that there is credible evidence which INDICATES that Mohamed was not illiterate", why don't you post it here? Have at it.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
And since you "assure me that there is credible evidence which INDICATES that Mohamed was not illiterate", why don't you post it here? Have at it.
Have you looked into the claims of illiteracy at all? Are you aware that Mohammad was a business man?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Have you looked into the claims of illiteracy at all? Are you aware that Mohammad was a business man?

Yes, I am. I don't know what that has to do with anything.

My aunt's husband was a truck drive, in the year 2000 and he was illiterate.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am. I don't know what that has to do with anything.
My aunt's husband was a truck drive, in the year 2000 and he was illiterate.
This is interesting, now you are wondering what illiteracy has to do with anything but you obviously thought it was relevant when you entered it as support for your opinion.

Quote:
And what does this mean? That the religion came from him? He was illiterate. Or is that also a "misconception"?
BTW - You missed a question.
Have you looked into the claims of illiteracy at all?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:56 PM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,302 times
Quote:
BTW - You missed a question.
Have you looked into the claims of illiteracy at all?
do you know in the first place , when literate claims of prophet mohammed raised ?
for your information , all histrory records ( and i mean all of them) are common that prophet mohammed was illiterate .

these claims of his literate raised recently without any proofs , but i'm waiting yours anyway

actually , 1400 years ago the majority were illiterate either

Old 12-31-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
...actually , 1400 years ago the majority were illiterate either
So this being the case then why is it such a big deal, to many, that Mohammad was “illiterate”?

Like I stated before some use Mohammad’s “supposed illiteracy” as “slam dunk evidence” to establishes the validity of the Quran. Now that some lowly person with the equivalency of a sixth grade education questions this reasoning it suddenly isn’t important any more. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam