U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,053,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The fact that fred phelps and the gang is about the only instance you could name off the top of your head says a lot.

And I have personally condemned their behavior on these boards. I've also posted links to radio show podcasts denouncing them, as well as demonstrating their irrationality.

Next question?
What, you want me to give you a list? Just because I named just one doesn't mean that's the only one I could think of as you say it "off the top of my head".

And you personally condemning something doesn't mean that mainstream Christianity has been. Where are the sermons against Phelps et al, the picketing of his church by good upstanding Christians, et cetera?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:50 PM

5,945 posts, read 4,878,758 times
Default What is Islam?

Another outdated middle eastern creation myth, closely resembling the two that preceded it: judaism and christianity.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:05 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,041,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
This is what my sister told me about Islam. That all of the above mentioned behaviors, as well as living with her Muslim boyfriend are not considered clean, but that she and he are not judged. They can be considered a Muslim and will just be judged by Allah.
Is her statement accurate? Or are there required standards that Muslims must adhere to to be in good standing in the Muslim "congregation"?

Thanks, just trying to understand where she is coming from. I don't consider her an expert on Islam.
yes i think that her statement is accurate

Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,101,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
What, you want me to give you a list? Just because I named just one doesn't mean that's the only one I could think of as you say it "off the top of my head".

And you personally condemning something doesn't mean that mainstream Christianity has been. Where are the sermons against Phelps et al, the picketing of his church by good upstanding Christians, et cetera?

Actually...most of mainstream Christianity DOES denounce phelps and his ilk.

maybe there aren't a lot of sermons against him because he's largely looked at as a joke. In any event, it's not like he's bombing anyone over his wacky beliefs, or flying airplanes into buildings.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,053,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Actually...most of mainstream Christianity DOES denounce phelps and his ilk.

maybe there aren't a lot of sermons against him because he's largely looked at as a joke. In any event, it's not like he's bombing anyone over his wacky beliefs, or flying airplanes into buildings.
Oh, so that makes it all okay then, because he's yanno...not hurting anyone. All right, how about the following:

Army of God
Lambs of Christ
The Covenant, The Sword, and The Arm of the Lord
Phineas Priesthood
Aryan Nations
Aryan Republican Army
Oklahoma Constitutional Militia
Identity Christianity
KKK
National Liberation Front of Tripura
Guardians of the Cedars

I could go on and on. How many Christian terrorist organizations would you like me to name?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

810 posts, read 1,288,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
yes i think that her statement is accurate
Really!?
They don't expect certain standards to be followed? Adherence to basic principles?
So the terrorists who are Muslim are welcomed members of Islam?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,041,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Really!?
They don't expect certain standards to be followed? Adherence to basic principles?
So the terrorists who are Muslim are welcomed members of Islam?
you asked me about specefic behaviours as cegerates
you didn't mentioned any terrorist acts in your question

Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM

810 posts, read 1,288,185 times
Quote:
you asked me about specefic behaviours as cegerates
you didn't mentioned any terrorist acts in your question
Yes, I sited specific behaviors. I'm in conversation with my sister about this very topic. What she was telling me sounded like it didn't matter if you attempted to avoid sinning...you can be a Muslim...there is no standard.
Then after reading some of these posts, I thought, "well if there is no standard for these behaviors...then where do Muslims draw the line?" I have heard many times Muslims seperating themselves from terrorist Muslims. But if there is no standard then why distance yourself? Muslim is Muslim, to be judged only by Allah, no?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,259,013 times
Quote:
, you have my promise
actually one of the teaching of islam is to enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong
Funny how so many of them are doing what is wrong. Speaks volumes about Islam.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,259,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Is then radical Christianity the true representation of Christianity? Because I don't see "mainstream" Christians doing much of anything to shut down people like Fred Phelps and his ilk.
Who is Fred Phelps, never heard of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or