Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
If anybody is about to have a nervous breakdown then they need proper counselling and psychiatric care. They do not need to be "tapped" by their partner. What exactly do you mean by tapping anyway, what is your personal definition? There seem to be differing views on this point and I have asked you this question before but you did not reply.
my personal definition is like when some one wants to get a cigarette out of the box of cigarettes he hits the box lightly
in order for the cigarette to get out.

i am sorry this is the first time i notice your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
my personal definition is like when some one wants to get a cigarette out of the box of cigarettes he hits the box lightly
in order for the cigarette to get out.

i am sorry this is the first time i notice your question.

Thankyou Moonsun, I do try to be fair (and don't always succeed I might add) and while I am pleased to hear you don't interpret this teaching as a licence to commit extreme violence, I still cannot agree with the idea that a man has any right to inflict this kind of corrective behaviour on his wife. Also it is clear that other people of your religion have a different view and we see women being treated terribly and unable to escape their fate because the society that they live in does not recognise their human rights. These societies are ruled by the laws of Islam. Do you foresee a time when these laws will be moderated and women will be able to live as equals to men in all respects?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 PM

274 posts, read 239,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
if your are unconscious or to be unconscious you will thank the one who tapped you

please realize the main intention of it
First, if I'm unconscious, I better be more than tapped. I'm CPR certified and, believe me, we don't tap.

Second, in this particular case, the wife is not unconscious, she is fully aware while receiving the "tap." I understand completely the main intention of it. It is for the man to show his wife that he is in charge. It is for the man to belittle his wife, thereby reinforcing his own strength. It is for the wife to be submissive to her husband. I could go on and on about what the intent of the behavior is. I will not, in any circumstance, condone the behavior or the intent.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Meanwhile there are 10,000 + cases of CHRISTIANs not saying but actually beating their spouses each year but the muslim gets the headlines just for saying it x years ago

Old 02-15-2009, 03:57 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,782 times
Quote:
Muslim Cleric says it's OK to beat and rape your wife!
Not surprising really. The Bible says it's okay to beat your slaves too. Violence is nothing new to religion.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
Not surprising really. The Bible says it's okay to beat your slaves too. Violence is nothing new to religion.

A point that is well established and represented in this forum. No matter what the religion it can be manipulated to condone all sorts of deplorable behaviour. Beating others into submission, telling others that they will go to hell for being homosexual and insisting they have a choice, waging wars and killing masses of people. I don't care which religion it is, if you commit violence of any description in it's name, or even approve of it, then your religion or your interpretation of that religion is wrong and it comes from darkness not from light.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 AM

274 posts, read 239,519 times
Quote:
A point that is well established and represented in this forum. No matter what the religion it can be manipulated to condone all sorts of deplorable behaviour. Beating others into submission, telling others that they will go to hell for being homosexual and insisting they have a choice, waging wars and killing masses of people. I don't care which religion it is, if you commit violence of any description in it's name, or even approve of it, then your religion or your interpretation of that religion is wrong and it comes from darkness not from light.
Well said.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
It's true most religions have condoned violence over history, and some still do...An example of this is a thread on the Christian forum, I believe it's called "spare the rod" discussing disciplining children. I noticed that most Christians are pro beating their children, even in these days when it is pretty well known that violence towards children simply teaches them that violence towards those weaker than you is acceptable.

If they can't frighten their kids into submission they beat them...I find this behaviour appalling.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I don't care which religion it is, if you commit violence of any description in it's name, or even approve of it, then your religion or your interpretation of that religion is wrong and it comes from darkness not from light.
Bravo . . . Lady Ice . . . the primary "fruit" by which evil can be distinguished. God is LOVE . . . any religion promoting fear, hate, anger, vengeance, wrath, exclusivity, punishment, condemnation, etc.,etc. . . . is WRONG.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 PM

38 posts, read 138,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Isn't this what the Old Testament teaches as well?

Perhaps, but if you actually *open* your Bible and *read* it, you will learn that the NEW testament was written to basically replace the old testament.

Also, I am having a hard time remembering ANY sermon at my church in which the pastor told the husbands to beat their wifes if they burnt their grilled cheese or behead someone if he cuts you off in traffic. Just sayin'.

Get a bit of edumacashun about what you are talking about before spewing crap on city data message boards. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam