Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

moonsun wrote:
Quote:
the main purpose of the light tap is not to cause pain or humiliation but to draw the attention in order to save the marriage
do you think a light tap is too much to save family life
But of course this so called light tap is something that the husband is supposed to be doing as the head of the household and the subservient wife is expected to obey him. The problem I have with this concept is that it is based on the premise that the man is always wiser and his dull witted wife just needs an occasional tap to keep her on the straight and narrow. I have known too many couples in which the man was obviously less responsible and more prone to ruining the family and the marriage than the woman. In fact it is generally recognized that women behave more maturely at an earlier age than most men and men are the ones who are much more likely to engage in reckless and irresponsible behavior. I've always felt that a married couple should be regarded as equals and I certainly can't think of any reason that the male should be considered as the master of the house. If someone comes back and says that's God's plan or something along those lines then I would suggest that God's plan is a very poor one and should be disregarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Does the woman have the right to beat the man lightly if he disobeys her?

i think a light tap that leaves no mark or pain from a woman to a man is fun
but if she knows that her man is not normal i do not advise her
but she can ask for a divorce if she like

Old 01-22-2009, 05:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Might I add that, in Gnostic Chrisianity, men and women are equal and always have been, which is one of the reasons why the "church fathers" in the second and third centuries were so at arms against the Gnostics.

One of the things I have always liked about the Gnostics.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
I would suggest that the whole situation is not normal....In my world women and men do not discipline each other.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post

Moonsun, do you believe that women and men should have equal rights in the house and in their relationship? Do you see it as a partnership or a dictatorship?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 PM

moonsun wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what to make of that one moonsun but you don't seem like a man that would be abusive to women.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Now the guy says Australians are all boozers, addicted to gambling and prostitutes!!

Boozy Aussies hooked on gambling: cleric

Besides the fact that this is an over-broad generalization (although he may not be far off about the drinking) there is the fact that he chooses to live in this country. Why doesn't he go and live in a country that is more in line with his religious beliefs? Why enjoy the benefits of living in a free democratic society and then spend your days condemning it?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Lady Ice wrote:
Quote:
Besides the fact that this is an over-broad generalization (although he may not be far off about the drinking) there is the fact that he chooses to live in this country. Why doesn't he go and live in a country that is more in line with his religious beliefs? Why enjoy the benefits of living in a free democratic society and then spend your days condemning it?
We've seen the same thing in Britain. Muslim extremists can take advantage of the right of free speech in a western nation to promote their own agenda and criticize the nation they're living in. It's a difficult problem because we don't want to limit free speech but at the same time we don't want western nations to become breeding grounds for those whose ultimate goal is to overthrow our way of life and replace it with a culture of fear and superstition. I'm not familiar with this particular individual. Did he immigrate to Australia from another country and if so what is his immigration status?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Moonsun, do you believe that women and men should have equal rights in the house and in their relationship? Do you see it as a partnership or a dictatorship?

i see it as love, mercy , partnership and every one must have his rights

And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,204 times
Quote:
i don't think there's anything inherently wrong with criticizing a country. I think his comments about Islam being a fix to be wishful thinking.

Quote:
Did he immigrate to Australia from another country and if so what is his immigration status?
he moved here from Lebanon when he was young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam