U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
 
500 posts, read 636,518 times
Reputation: 155

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Well, isn't that what a lot of die-hard fundies want anyway...to be martyrs for their faith?
True, but in today's world, Islam fundies are the ones responsible for killing the non believers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 PM
 
500 posts, read 636,518 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I disagree, I believe that since the European enlightenment, most Christian areas have banned the killing or forced-conversion non-Christians. Prior to that many Christians did have religious orders to kill non-Christians as is evidenced by order from the Council of Toledo in 681 targeted at civil authorities requiring them to behead those guilty of non-Christian pratices of any sort.

Additionally Violent attacks, Inqusitions, Crusades and lynchings, often state sponsered of Jews, Pagans, heretics, or suspected false Christians were common throughout Europe and the Americas until European, and American monarchs and legislatures began banning the practices throughout the 17-19th centuries.

Evidence of this fanaticism is still visable in Africa however, where in many countries, women and children are branded as witches by fanatical preachers and are killed, banished or have their property seized. Additionally to make matters worse several conservative churches throughout the rest world support these witch hunts and have lauded the religious leaders who carry out these atrocities.

So while not every Christian is violent and in general Christianity is a good and peaceable religion, many who seek to spread it to the "ends of the earth" have and do employ violent means when they are not restricted by secular authorities.
While the history lesson is appreciated, it is not necessary. We're living in today's world, not history.

So you're comparing today's "branded witches" to the Genocide that's being carried by Muslims, and the extermination of the Christians and non Muslims living in the middle east (by Muslims)? Interesting.

Last edited by Christian Arab; 02-28-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 9,027,715 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
While the history lesson is appreciated, it is not necessary. We're living in today's world, not history.

So you're comparing today's "branded witches" to the Genocide that's being carried by Muslims, and the extermination of the Christians and non Muslims living in the middle east (by Muslims)? Interesting.
Yes and I am compairing the Genocide of Pagans in Late antiquity and the early modern era to the situation in the middle east to demonstate how religious zealots of both Islam and Christianity go wild when the government does not stop them. The branding of witches in Africa is an example of how similar some Christian zealot's desire to conquer the world is to Islamic zealots and to show what will happen when secular government does not control religious extremists of all stripes. And yes it is comperable. There are Children, mind you that are or have been starved, abused and murdered by the thousands in the niger delta alone just for being suspected of being witches. Whether you like to admit it or not without responsible secular governments radical Christians in Europe and America would be just like the radical Muslims in middle east as they were before the European Enlightenment.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 02-28-2009 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
 
500 posts, read 636,518 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes and I am compairing the Genocide of Pagans in Late antiquity and the early modern era to the situation in the middle east to demonstate how religious zealots of both Islam and Christianity go wild when the government does not stop them. The branding of witches in Africa is an example of how similar some Christian zealot's desire to conquer the world is to Islamic zealots and to show what will happen when secular government does not control religious extremists of all stripes. And yes it is comperable. There are Children, mind you that are or have been starved, abused and murdered by the thousands in the niger delta alone just for being suspected of being witches. Whether you like to admit it or not without responsible secular governments radical Christians in Europe and America would be just like the radical Muslims in middle east as they were before the European Enlightenment.
Sigh...talk about beating a dead horse. You continue to post about history to demonstrate how religion is evil, we get it, believe me, we get it.

Regarding your last sentence, you are going by assumption. The fact of the matter is, radical Islam is being adopted into government, radical Islam is spreading throughout the world, radical Islam is gaining ground in countries that at on point were secular governments, and we know about how intolerant and hate filled radical Islam toward non believers. Ohh, and this is all happening today, not history, TODAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 PM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 9,027,715 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
Sigh...talk about beating a dead horse. You continue to post about history to demonstrate how religion is evil, we get it, believe me, we get it.

Regarding your last sentence, you are going by assumption. The fact of the matter is, radical Islam is being adopted into government, radical Islam is spreading throughout the world, radical Islam is gaining ground in countries that at on point were secular governments, and we know about how intolerant and hate filled radical Islam toward non believers. Ohh, and this is all happening today, not history, TODAY.
This is not history this is going on today whether you like it or not.


YouTube - African Witch Children Pt 1 (2008)

This is just the first part of the BBC documentary though you can follow the rest if you can stand to watch it it is unfortunatly very real and very disturbing. Fanatics will be fanatics regardless of religion.

Edit: It is amazing how much you assume. I do not believe religion is evil, I am in fact quite religious (just not abrahamic) and have said numerous times how I think overall Christianity is a good peaceable religion. I believe, however; any religion taken to extremes is dangerous not evil "evil" is your word not mine.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 02-28-2009 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: adding a note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 03:12 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,847,271 times
Reputation: 11318
So-called christians murder doctors who perform abortions, they refuse prescribed medications, they kill gays and bomb federal buildings (McVeigh), they are members of the KKK and other hate groups.

They start wars and call for or act upon the death of others (example: Crusade in the Middle East: Bush's Religious War, Religious Presidency)

Bush has been quoted by more than one source as saying that he invaded both Afghanistan and Iraq because he believed God ordered him to do so. We have always known that Bush believes he's president because God gave him the job — not because of being chosen by the American people. Many religious conservatives believe this as well. Bush believes that he is answerable only to God, not to the American people. Now, Bush has stated clearly that he is staying the course in Iraq and ignoring the wishes of the American people because he is following a religious vision and a theological agenda which demand it.

Many people on this board hate muslims. They start threads complaining about muslims yet they never point out the same or similar acts of christians that are equally or moreso egregious.

So, it's happening in the present, as well.
It happens on this board daily.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-01-2009 at 03:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 AM
 
40,134 posts, read 26,779,715 times
Reputation: 6051
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Many people on this board hate muslims. They start threads complaining about muslims yet they never point out the same or similar acts of christians that are equally or moreso egregious.

So, it's happening in the present, as well.
It happens on this board daily.
Whether or not there are Muslim haters, Christian haters, etc. on this board . . . there is an undeniable reality that apologists of every stripe fail to understand. The barbarity and extent of the global Muslim threat is the CURRENT and growing danger to civilization, period. They have been emboldened by the perception that they are being successful by the hand of Allah. Such superstitious barbarity and ignorance dominates the Muslim communities worldwide . . . regardless of the so-called moderates who are virtually invisible and . . conveniently enough . . . receive the benefits of jihad according to their beliefs just by staying out of it in silent support. Only the truly liberal or ignorant of the tenets of Islam (as modified by Mohammed) believe the Emperor is wearing clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,847,271 times
Reputation: 11318
I fear christianity as much as I fear any other religion.
I feel all religious are corrupt an will do what it takes to make themselves no. 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,736 posts, read 31,809,572 times
Reputation: 6788
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I fear christianity as much as I fear any other religion.
I feel all religious are corrupt an will do what it takes to make themselves no. 1.
I completely agree with you. I fear christianity more because I am surrounded by them. I have a nieghbor who recently did something to me that cut me like a knife, all the while drawing the cloak of christianity around her. I fear people who think they know whats best for my daughter and I and have the need to CRAM it down my throat and force it in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 AM
 
Location: Deepest Darkest NZ
685 posts, read 528,637 times
Reputation: 377
To repost.

Quote:
There is no verse in the Quran which states that the whole world must become Muslim and Allah cannot 'return' to the earth since Allah was never on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top