U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:12 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,064,936 times

Advertisements

do you find the word God in the original langauge of the holy books

or do you find a name for God in the original langauge of the holy books
sound like God

i want to know how the name of God became God

is there any verse saying or meaning some thing like my name is God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,894,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post

sound like God

What fascinates me about this debate by those who do not wish to acknowledge the Biblical personal name of God, is that they will readily acknowledge the names of other ancient civilizations gods. Example, if we hear the names "Osiris" , "Amon Ra" , "Isis" , "Horus", "Set" , "Thoth" , etc, we think of Egypt. Even Pharoah thought he was a god. When we hear names of "Atlas" , "Zeus" , "Artemis" , "Apollo" , "Aphrodite" , "Hermes" , "Poseidon" , etc, we think of ancient Greece.

How about Roman gods , "Saturn" , Mars, etc ??????????

Incredible !!!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM

13,092 posts, read 13,695,167 times
humans are the ones who pick names for the Creator, different groups of humans have picked different names over time, over culture, over different languages

think of your beloved sweetheart. The name is not the person. You would still know the person, by whatever name that person is called by. Also you may have given that beloved of yours many pet names or nick-names, out of affection or evan exasperation, based on their various wonderful qualities or attributes: generosity, kindness, love, good humor, sweet disposition.

same thing with god. humans have an ongoing love affair with the Creator, and through art and poetry and names seek to express that vast deep rich relationship

Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,732,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
humans are the ones who pick names for the Creator, different groups of humans have picked different names over time, over culture, over different languages

think of your beloved sweetheart. The name is not the person. You would still know the person, by whatever name that person is called by. Also you may have given that beloved of yours many pet names or nick-names, out of affection or evan exasperation, based on their various wonderful qualities or attributes: generosity, kindness, love, good humor, sweet disposition.

same thing with god. humans have an ongoing love affair with the Creator, and through art and poetry and names seek to express that vast deep rich relationship

oh, my sweet Princess..

Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 AM

2,529 posts, read 3,873,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post

sound like God

His name, as He revealed it to Hebrew speaking people, is YHWH. Had He revealed that same word to English speaking people, He would have said, I AM.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 AM

10,513 posts, read 10,333,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
His name, as He revealed it to Hebrew speaking people, is YHWH. Had He revealed that same word to English speaking people, He would have said, I AM.

So,and no disrespect here, where did this word God come from? Why is he not called "The Great I AM" in english ?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 AM

2,529 posts, read 3,873,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
So,and no disrespect here, where did this word God come from? Why is he not called "The Great I AM" in english ?
God is translated from Elohim. He is called The Great I Am, at times. I don't necessary think God wanted to be known by a "name". Just my opinion, that may not be worth much.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
God is translated from Elohim. He is called The Great I Am, at times. I don't necessary think God wanted to be known by a "name". Just my opinion, that may not be worth much.
Everyone's opinion is worth something, if only to themselves,however I find it interesting as to how this name came about,if the Hebrew translation from YHWH is I AM,I would still be interested in knowing where the word God came from and what is its meaning.Just a thought.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,732,395 times

cute to ask for an answer and then let it disappear in silence ... so to create doubt..

i'd call that arbitrariness.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post

cute to ask for an answer and then let it disappear in silence ... so to create doubt..

i'd call that arbitrariness.
Not creating doubt,causing one to think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or