U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,562,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Why is it so hard to imagine that the man was just crazy?

I mean really.

WHY?

What is the percentage of the population of this country that is Christian? What percentage of the crime in this country is committed by Christians? Why is it that everytime a Christian commits an atrocious crime the headline doesn't say "Christian man beats woman within an inch of her life" or "Christian man suspected in the brutal murder of his neighbor" or "Christian man found guilty of kidnapping, raping and murdering his 7 year old daughter while mother had an order of restraint in place".

Why?

You hear of one atrocity here committed by a muslim man and it makes front page news and of course the fact that he is muslim is the most noteworthy part of the story.

How many incidences of domestic violence are committed every day in this country by people who AREN'T muslim? Why do they do it if they arent' muslim? Because they are crazy???? But muslims do it because they are Muslim, of course, completely sane muslims.

Because the woman who is obediant brings honor to her husband/father in Islam and the woman who demands divorce and gets orders of protection brings dishonor.

It is rare that the teaching of religion brings violence in Christianity.
Practicing Christians, although some do not like to admit it, are very selective regarding the advice that they take from their bible. Most pastors, if they recommended stoning disobedient children, would find themselves preaching in an empty room in short time.

The ugly parts of the Islamic faith are still alive and practiced and even condoned in some of their cultures.

It is such that some men feel justified in killing their wives and daughters.

The last example of this sort of thing that I can remember, in the states, was Andrea Yates, poor woman, and she had had mental problems and was advised not to have more children and to take meds and her husband said no, we will have as many children as God blesses us with and he also said she should not take the meds.
Wanting to be a dutiful Christian wife, she followed her husband's instructions and ended up snapping and murdering the kids.
That he got away scot free is an atrocity to me.

I agree, that any religion that disregards common sense or does not respect the individual or specifies that one person follow the advice or teachings of another is a cult and is blinding followers to reality and is stifling the freedom of the individual.

In my opinion, most religions are cults. It just so happens that now, Islam seems to be the biggest threat to human decency on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,046,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Because the woman who is obediant brings honor to her husband/father in Islam and the woman who demands divorce and gets orders of protection brings dishonor.
by the way , islam gives woman the rights to demands divorce

Quote:
In my opinion, most religions are cults. It just so happens that now, Islam seems to be the biggest threat to human decency on the planet.
unfortunatly , there are many thought that about islam religion

anyway , in my openion , religion of islam now is the biggest threat to other religions becuase of increasing of it's followeres these days with high rates .
i think that this is the reason which make the media in the west trying to distort or misinform about it

Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM

One thing in favor of Islam - something in the media - Islamic run banks are doing much better than Western ones because they insist on solid principles and do not take such risks. Of course, this means they are regulated and inspected more heavily than ours.
Our system failed because regulations were removed - regulations that had been put in place after the Great Depression to prevent another one. I remember an old teacher telling the class not to worry because we now had safeguards built into the system.

Gee, it's almost as though it were planned.
If it were, who would come out the worst in this downturn - China, Russia, if the world gets serious about alternate non polluting fuel would the terrorists have less funding?

Dubai is not going well, but that's another story.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:17 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,121,054 times
Quote:
There are, indeed, people of any religion who do evil.

If we decided to chart them, we would probably find around the same percentage of fanatics in every religion -
except for Islam,
where these things hit the news often,
and it makes me think that it probably
happens much more frequently than
we observe in places where freedom of
the press is not respected.

You might keep in mind that in Western countries religion is often a thing separate from culture.
But in Islam, the ideal is that the religion IS the culture.

So, when men beat women on the street because they show an ankle or some such thing, they do it because of religious law, which is also the law of the state.

In another forum a question was asked concerning Islam and the woman's duty to honor her husband. This was part of someone's answer:

The Prophet said: "If I were to order anybody to bow before anyone, I would
order the wife to bow before her husband." The husband's rights are very
great. Therefore, according to a reliable Hadith, a woman said: "Oh Prophet
of Allah, I will not marry before you tell me what my husband's rights from
me are." The Prophet said: "Do you really want to know?" She said: "Yes." He
said: "If pus or blood comes out of your husband's nose and you lick is up,
you still will not have observed all his rights." The rights of the husband
are great, and you must observe them
this hadith.. is because.. man goes out and make earning for his wife.. so wife should respect.. Just this is to show that women how obedient women should be towards their Husbands..

another -
yes
the prophet says if it was posible that a a person worship(sajda) a human. surly it was nessesary woman worship her husband.

Is this a joke? You call me prejudiced, when this Islamic culture tells men that this is what they should expect from a woman?
It is junk like this that is the root of men beating and punishing their wives for disagreeing with them.
And this woman wanted a divorce and had an order of protection against him. He reverted back to his Islamic culture and killed her. Most people can see that.

I don't know that I've ever heard of a group of Christians making a video of themselves screaming "Hallelujah!" as they cut a guy's head off.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I don't know that I've ever heard of a group of Christians making a video of themselves screaming "Hallelujah!" as they cut a guy's head off.
My point, exactly.
I think religious prejudice is horrid, but that goes two ways.
I think religions which are dogmatic and try to force their ways on private individuals is prejudice and when the state approves or tolerates this behavior, it should be thought of as crimes against humanity and I have no problem in calling them the enemy.

I know Muslims. They are good people. THere is not any concept of democracy in the religion.

If fundie Christians were in greater numbers in this country we would also be forced to conform to their way - which is the ONLY way in their minds.

Fundies and Muslims can be comfortable tolerated if they are small in number in a community. Once their numbers grow they will tend to take over and change things for the rest of the community.

There are several countries who had the attitude that these were good, God-fearing people and would be a credit to the community. Those very countries have witnessed both horrors and increasing demands that would change the nature of civil life for the rest of the community. You/we have freedom of worship to the point at which that freedom impinges on the rest of the community.
Hence, these countries are making all newcomers who intend to stay sign loyalty oaths. Sounds stupid that in this day and age we have to relearn how to play fair, but some religions seem to bring out the 'primitive' in their adherents.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,121,054 times
Quote:
My point, exactly.
I think religious prejudice is horrid, but that goes two ways.
I think religions which are dogmatic and try to force their ways on private individuals is prejudice and when the state approves or tolerates this behavior, it should be thought of as crimes against humanity and I have no problem in calling them the enemy.

I know Muslims. They are good people. THere is not any concept of democracy in the religion.
Some are nice. Some aren't.
Quote:
If fundie Christians were in greater numbers in this country we would also be forced to conform to their way - which is the ONLY way in their minds.
I have a hard time believing that fundamentalist Christians would be cutting heads off if people didn't live their way.
Quote:
Fundies and Muslims can be comfortable tolerated if they are small in number in a community. Once their numbers grow they will tend to take over and change things for the rest of the community.
You do realize that this country was founded by "fundamentalist Christians", right? Yet....they still believed in a huge amount of personal freedom.
Quote:
There are several countries who had the attitude that these were good, God-fearing people and would be a credit to the community. Those very countries have witnessed both horrors and increasing demands that would change the nature of civil life for the rest of the community. You/we have freedom of worship to the point at which that freedom impinges on the rest of the community.
Hence, these countries are making all newcomers who intend to stay sign loyalty oaths. Sounds stupid that in this day and age we have to relearn how to play fair, but some religions seem to bring out the 'primitive' in their adherents.
Not all religions are equal. Sorry to burst your bubble. Take an objective look. It's the muslims that riot over cartoons...it's the muslims who behead people. It's the countries that are predominantly muslim that can't get along with their neighbors. It's not Christians.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,093,011 times
Reverted back to his Islamic culture? Germany in the 40s was Christian was it not? So when the jewish population were disposed of, can I then make the same statement as you in that they reverted back to the Christian culture of hatred of the jews and killed most of them? Killing of 1 person or almost wiping out a race - which is more horrific? [/quote]

The party that controlled Germany in the 30's,40's was not christian.
They created a viewpoint based on ancient Rome,Occult,Nordic culture...
Do a little research before you just post something.
They had a viewpoint of germanic people ruling the world...
The christian viewpoint didnt enter the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or