U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,469,292 times
Reputation: 8776

Advertisements

In case you don't know, this took place in New York in a well-off Buffalo suburb that hadn't seen a homicide since 1986

Prominent Orchard Park man charged with beheading his wife : Don't Miss : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/578644.html - broken link)

Woman, after trying to divorce her husband, is beheaded.
She had an order of protection that had him out of the home as of Friday the 6th.

We have to find a new way to protect women from these thugs.

Husband is founder of Bridges TV, which he launched in 2004, amid hopes that it would help portray Muslims in a more positive light.

This is an educated man, who probably considered himself 'a moderate Muslim' if you asked.
Acquaintances said Mo Hassan was not overtly religious — co-workers did not see him pray.
He probably reverted back to his violent culture, which made him snap, like the instincts of that chimpanzee, to attack.
I say it is his Muslim culture because this is the ground that breeds such men.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-18-2009 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
 
995 posts, read 1,201,223 times
Reputation: 117
Isn't there a similar post elsewhere? Anyway your prejudice shines like a beacon. I can't wait for you to post such topics headlined with 'Christian woman drowns children...or Christian man kills and rapes teen..." Please note there is a difference between culture and religion. I can't believe the ignorance of some people. I feel sorry for you. You are really pathetic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,469,292 times
Reputation: 8776
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Isn't there a similar post elsewhere? Anyway your prejudice shines like a beacon. I can't wait for you to post such topics headlined with 'Christian woman drowns children...or Christian man kills and rapes teen..." Please note there is a difference between culture and religion. I can't believe the ignorance of some people. I feel sorry for you. You are really pathetic
There are, indeed, people of any religion who do evil.

If we decided to chart them, we would probably find around the same percentage of fanatics in every religion -
except for Islam,
where these things hit the news often,
and it makes me think that it probably
happens much more frequently than
we observe in places where freedom of
the press is not respected.

You might keep in mind that in Western countries religion is often a thing separate from culture.
But in Islam, the ideal is that the religion IS the culture.

So, when men beat women on the street because they show an ankle or some such thing, they do it because of religious law, which is also the law of the state.

In another forum a question was asked concerning Islam and the woman's duty to honor her husband. This was part of someone's answer:

The Prophet said: "If I were to order anybody to bow before anyone, I would
order the wife to bow before her husband." The husband's rights are very
great. Therefore, according to a reliable Hadith, a woman said: "Oh Prophet
of Allah, I will not marry before you tell me what my husband's rights from
me are." The Prophet said: "Do you really want to know?" She said: "Yes." He
said: "If pus or blood comes out of your husband's nose and you lick is up,
you still will not have observed all his rights." The rights of the husband
are great, and you must observe them
this hadith.. is because.. man goes out and make earning for his wife.. so wife should respect.. Just this is to show that women how obedient women should be towards their Husbands..

another -
yes
the prophet says if it was posible that a a person worship(sajda) a human. surly it was nessesary woman worship her husband.

Is this a joke? You call me prejudiced, when this Islamic culture tells men that this is what they should expect from a woman?
It is junk like this that is the root of men beating and punishing their wives for disagreeing with them.
And this woman wanted a divorce and had an order of protection against him. He reverted back to his Islamic culture and killed her. Most people can see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 AM
 
995 posts, read 1,201,223 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There are, indeed, people of any religion who do evil.If we decided to chart them, we would probably find around the same percentage of fanatics in every religion - except for Islam, where these things hit the news often, and it makes me think that it probably happens much more frequently than we observe in places where freedom of the press is not respected.
Freedom of the press is a good thing when it is exercised responsiblly which is sometimes not the case especially when it comes to issues concerning Arabs, Palestinians and Islam. You always see the phrase Islamic terrorist but never Christian terrorist or Jewish terrorist - so to me freedom of the press is just cow**** if its practiced selectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You might keep in mind that in Western countries religion is often a thing separate from culture.
But in Islam, the ideal is that the religion IS the culture.

So, when men beat women on the street because they show an ankle or some such thing, they do it because of religious law, which is also the law of the state.
The Prophet would never allow beating or shaming of anyone in public. Sometimes culture gets mixed up with religion. Yes Idealy in an Islamic society, religion and society goes hand in hand not separate. But there is no such ideal situation currently not in Saudi Arabia not in Afghanistan. If you want to take an ideal Islamic society then take a look at time of Islam in Andalucia. That is a good example. What you mentioned does not happen in all Islamic societies so its better you read thoroughly and understand the background to the events before you make any arbitary condemnations. Understand this - Islam is a way of life. Pity if you don't understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
In another forum a question was asked concerning Islam and the woman's duty to honor her husband. This was part of someone's answer:
The Prophet said: "If I were to order anybody to bow before anyone, I would
order the wife to bow before her husband." The husband's rights are very
great. Therefore, according to a reliable Hadith, a woman said: "Oh Prophet
of Allah, I will not marry before you tell me what my husband's rights from
me are." The Prophet said: "Do you really want to know?" She said: "Yes." He
said: "If pus or blood comes out of your husband's nose and you lick is up,
you still will not have observed all his rights." The rights of the husband
are great, and you must observe them
this hadith.. is because.. man goes out and make earning for his wife.. so wife should respect.. Just this is to show that women how obedient women should be towards their Husbands..
Is this a joke? You call me prejudiced, when this Islamic culture tells men that this is what they should expect from a woman?
It is junk like this that is the root of men beating and punishing their wives for disagreeing with them.
And this woman wanted a divorce and had an order of protection against him. He reverted back to his Islamic culture and killed her. Most people can see that.
Have you ever heard of metaphors? What is meant is that the duties of a wife towards her husband is very great. Just as the duties of a husband towards the wife which most anti-Islamist always conveniently ignore or overlook.

Reverted back to his Islamic culture? Germany in the 40s was Christian was it not? So when the jewish population were disposed of, can I then make the same statement as you in that they reverted back to the Christian culture of hatred of the jews and killed most of them? Killing of 1 person or almost wiping out a race - which is more horrific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 AM
 
40,032 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
The Islamic culture/religion is barbaric and unsuited to modern civilization, period. It has not changed at all from its barbarous past. If its true ideals were all that it represented it would be acceptable . . . but the barbarism remains and is repugnant to modern societies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 AM
 
995 posts, read 1,201,223 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Islamic culture/religion is barbaric and unsuited to modern civilization, period. It has not changed at all from its barbarous past. If its true ideals were all that it represented it would be acceptable . . . but the barbarism remains and is repugnant to modern societies.
Tell me - is the Islamic culture the same in Saudi Arabia as it is in Indonesia or China or Nigeria? Is the Christian culture the same in US as it is in China or Ivory Coast or Papua New Guinea? Don't make a general sweep of the paintbrush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 AM
 
995 posts, read 1,201,223 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Islamic culture/religion is barbaric and unsuited to modern civilization, period. It has not changed at all from its barbarous past. If its true ideals were all that it represented it would be acceptable . . . but the barbarism remains and is repugnant to modern societies.
Tell me - is the Islamic culture the same in Saudi Arabia as in Indonesia or China or Nigeria?
Is the Christian culture the same in US as in China or Papua New Guinea?
Don't try and make a sweep with the paintbrush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 AM
 
2,255 posts, read 4,891,398 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Tell me - is the Islamic culture the same in Saudi Arabia as it is in Indonesia or China or Nigeria? Is the Christian culture the same in US as it is in China or Ivory Coast or Papua New Guinea? Don't make a general sweep of the paintbrush
Actually both of these religions are equally bloodguilty in regards to this world's historical conflicts.

Now a rather confusing thought here: If Secularism is the only acceptable philosophy to save our world and planet, then why has Secularism been in bed with religion all these past centuries ???

Could it also be said that Secularism shares a major part of the bloodguilt that religion has in dominating mankind to it's own injury ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 01:44 AM
 
40,032 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Tell me - is the Islamic culture the same in Saudi Arabia as in Indonesia or China or Nigeria?
Is the Christian culture the same in US as in China or Papua New Guinea?
Don't try and make a sweep with the paintbrush
The failure to modernize human relationships is universal to Islam in all its cultural expressions. They remain barbarous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 AM
 
995 posts, read 1,201,223 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The failure to modernize human relationships is universal to Islam in all its cultural expressions. They remain barbarous.
Tell me? Is is comfortable wearing those blinders?or are they called blinkers??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top