U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,285,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Pray tell which culture it is that's acceptable for a man to behead his wife?
Stone, shoot, strangle, behead -- it has been established in this very thread that there are some cultures where it is not only acceptable but expected of a man to kill his wife/daughter/sister if she were to do something considered 'dishonorably' to the family name.

Not all cultures do this, not all muslims do this, but certain cultures and certain muslims do find this acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,793,012 times
To put things in perspective I would advise people to check out the local news in any big American city and it's highly likely that you're going to see reports about men who have murdered their wives by any number of means. American society is one of the most violent in the world and we also have the distinction of being home to most of the serial killers in the world who prey on women just for the fun of it. I've said many times that I oppose the treatment of women in muslim nations but as far as I can tell the point of the OP is to attack muslims simply because they're not Christians. Husbands who kill their wives are so commonplace in America that it's hardly even noticed unless the circumstances are unusually brutal. Also, what I find interesting about this thread is that the method of killing is being emphasized as though being beheaded inflicts a more serious consequence than being murdered with a gun or a knife.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM

995 posts, read 1,201,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
To put things in perspective I would advise people to check out the local news in any big American city and it's highly likely that you're going to see reports about men who have murdered their wives by any number of means. American society is one of the most violent in the world and we also have the distinction of being home to most of the serial killers in the world who prey on women just for the fun of it. I've said many times that I oppose the treatment of women in muslim nations but as far as I can tell the point of the OP is to attack muslims simply because they're not Christians. Husbands who kill their wives are so commonplace in America that it's hardly even noticed unless the circumstances are unusually brutal. Also, what I find interesting about this thread is that the method of killing is being emphasized as though being beheaded inflicts a more serious consequence than being murdered with a gun or a knife.
Well said though i don't agree about the muslim women treatment...but overall Maybe this thread's time is up

Old 02-24-2009, 04:35 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Quote:
The point is . . . HONOR KILLING.

People kill each other every day. Yes. True. Heinous, no matter how they do it. But they do it b/c they are mentally ill or calculating psychopaths who want to murder their spouse so they don't have to live with them.

They do not do it as an HONOR KILLING.

Just like - we don't throw acid on women and then no one does anything about it. Yet, that happens in other societies - and no one does a damn thing.

Hey - if this doesn't bother you all - I guess it just doesn't bother you. To have people come to this country - and still cling to cultural practices that are definitely NOT acceptable here - that bothers me. This guy was sending out a message to the world - that here in America, Muslims can behead their wives and hey - no one says a thing - cause - "dead is just dead."

Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,793,012 times
anifani821 wrote:
Quote:
Hey - if this doesn't bother you all - I guess it just doesn't bother you. To have people come to this country - and still cling to cultural practices that are definitely NOT acceptable here - that bothers me.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that I find this to be acceptable behavior. I'm simply telling you that we have our own version of it which probably has a much higher death rate based on police reports. I had a supervisor whose stepsister was a victim of Ted Bundy and my brother in law's sister who I knew from my home town was also a murder victim so I'm just saying that violence against women seems to be a worldwide phenomenon. Of course beheading a woman is not acceptable in American society but do you think our homegrown sadistic monsters are any better just because they don't base their brutality on religion?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,256,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
And this is "on the subject" how?

After reading through this thread, all it looks like is an excuse to bag on Muslims and Islam. And while everyone knows that I think ALL religions are pure hogwash, it seems a little pointless to complain about just one of them when the other religions are just as bad.

Besides, someone who is capable of cutting the head off their wife is messed up in the head anyway; he would have been violent to her no matter what his religious beliefs. Abusers are just that way.
It is on the subject and a very real threat to the population.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM

598 posts, read 829,699 times
"honor-killing" and all other religious barbaric practices are set backs for religions.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,285,866 times
Quote:
anifani821 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that I find this to be acceptable behavior. I'm simply telling you that we have our own version of it which probably has a much higher death rate based on police reports. I had a supervisor whose stepsister was a victim of Ted Bundy and my brother in law's sister who I knew from my home town was also a murder victim so I'm just saying that violence against women seems to be a worldwide phenomenon. Of course beheading a woman is not acceptable in American society but do you think our homegrown sadistic monsters are any better just because they don't base their brutality on religion?
With all due respect, you are missing the point.
Yes, we had Ted Bundy, but if I am not mistaken he was apprehended, tried and executed for his crimes. Had this been in honor killing in Saudia Arabia or Jordan or Afghanistan et al, Ted Bundy would have gotten a pat on the back for restoring his family name.
Huge difference, imo - and one that should not be glossed over.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think we all need to realize that some groups of people are so thoroughly indoctrinated with heinous cultural practices that they are never going to be able to function as civilized people outside their own culture.

Let's face it. This guy put on a good front but deep down, he was just as sick as the radical Islamists that slap on bombs and blow themselves - and anyone else around them- into bits and pieces.

There is something very disturbing about how we all seem to simply flip this off as - oh well - cultural and social - nothing we can do about it. This guy promoted himself to the community as a moderate and a SAFE PERSON TO BE AROUND. He was anything but that.

I have always wanted to believe that it was stereotypic thinking to assume that most Muslims really are the nutballs we see doing this stuff . . . but this guy's actions have made me wonder if it is all just sugar-coating - and if the violence is so endemic in Muslim society that at the core, any of them will lash out and cut any of our throats. SO you might say . . . by his actions . . . this horrible man has done more to solidify in many of our minds that the stereotype is not a stereotype at all - but rather, the reality.

ETA: and before Islam apologists jump on me to say this guy was an exception . . . really? Beheading? That is a custom deeply rooted in Muslim culture. And this guy had gone to great lengths to make himself a public figure, and promote himself and his community. It is like he was working very hard at convincing us all that he was a mainstream citizen, and wanted to build bridges b/n the muslim community and everyone else. That is what makes this whole situation so disturbing - he was trying to convince everyone that he was not a radical - yet his actions tell a totally different story.
I'm beginning to think being a little bit muslim is like being a little bit pregnant. You just are what you are.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,256,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
It is on the subject and a very real threat to the population.
Oh right. I'd better lock my doors tonight or a Muslim man may come into my house and behead me. They're all over the place you know, all of them hungry to chop a woman's head off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or